TKR SusaninChicago’s recovery thread

Thanks ladies for support and advice! I celebrated my new knees 5 week birthday by walking a mile, the longest I’ve done. Predictably, I am exhausted. I went in for some labs and a bone density test today and found that my red blood count is still a bit low, presumably because of blood loss during the surgery. Maybe this explains my fatigue? Maybe an iron supplement would help?

Susan, Be careful of iron supplements - they are constipating! My sister was low on iron and I got liver capsules from Amazon (Ancestral Supplements brand). They worked well.

The main reason for your fatigue is the healing that is taking place in your body.

Thank you for the heads up about constipation, Sister Pat. I am forewarned! Jockette, I know I am still healing, but even my doctor was concerned about my exhaustion, hence the labs. I’ve been through this once, and I was tired, but not like this.

Following your journey, SusaninChicago!

I also needed to go back to work after my first TKR in 2016 snd the energy drain was far more important to notice and give all due respect to, I found, or my following day I suffered and sort of went backwards in terms of healing, progress, etc.

I’m a few weeks behind you now with knee #2, and I also find that work interactions like Zoom meetings, phone calls to sort things out, etc, are all “expensive” in terms of energy.

Maybe a story from my daughter’s Lupus forums could be useful to us recovering kneezers...

The story is, that with Lupus, a person only gets so many “spoons” each day that represent the energy they will have available to use. Once they run out of the day’s spoons, they cannot do anything else.

So my daughter and others must plan their days and consider the day before: if they overdid it, then they will have fewer spoons the next day. Once they run out of spoons, they can no longer interact with other people or do anything...in truth, it could lead to a dangerous Lupus flare. They put people in hospital with kidney and lung failure.

So, like a person who deals with Lupus, your spoons could get used up early in the day if you overdo it, like I did yesterday!

I definitely used up my spoons by pushing hard on the leg press for many reps! Yes, I’m strong I know, but it meant a very achy afternoon and evening, and being awake in the night for 3 hours trying to settle my hurt leg down.

Last edited:
Dear BBCG,
Thank you for your very thoughtful message, and I agree with Sister Pat, great analogy. I am trying to pace myself and find the middle ground that allows me to get my work done and take care of my daily needs. I am very much a type A type and hate the feeling of getting nothing done, especially since my knee itself doesn’t bother me much.
SinC

Yup: type A here too! But, I’ve decided to appreciate this resting time I need to practice to heal, and to get some books read I’ve wanted to read, to get some business tasks done that usually get put off and things like that. I’m adjusting, trying to consider it as a de-stressing and regrouping time...

Last edited:
At last, a good day! I managed to do 4 solid hours of work and walked a mile. I took an hour nap after lunch, which helped a lot. I‘ve decided to hire a someone to do the upkeep on landscaping since I don’t want to waste my limited energy resources on this and looking at my messy beds is making me anxious. I may go back to the cleaning service as well so that I can prioritize work and recovery.

Bad news yesterday. After my surgery, my OS advised me to go for a bone density screening, because she thought my bones looked a bit “soft.” I got the results — osteoporosis. Arghh, another chronic condition. Seeing the doctor to talk about treatment on Monday. The knee is doing just fine. The every other day schedule of walking/pt seems to be working, as does my 9:30 bedtime. Feeling a lot less tired and getting a reasonable amount of work done! Also adopted an adorable kitten I’ve been fostering. What a sweetie he is.

Attachments

• 5CEE8FE1-B2EB-4FCA-BA05-1AB9E4F2F057.jpeg
    5CEE8FE1-B2EB-4FCA-BA05-1AB9E4F2F057.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 180
I’m having my other knee done on May 25th and I have osteopenia and worry about my bones during surgery.

I’m sorry about your osteoporosis. :console2:

What a cute kitty!

That kitty is SO adorable! Looks like one we have who wandered onto our property a few years back. May he give you lots of joyful days!

Thank you, Jockette and Sisterpat. I am grateful to my OS for catching the osteoporosis so that I can get treatment, and my little kitty and other cats are such a comfort. Gramalita98–I don’t think the osteopenia will necessarily effect your TKR, mine went fine, but do talk with your doctor.

I already had it when I had the other knee done so it must be ok. I won’t take the stuff they want to prescribe as it can actually cause jaw bone issues I just take bone up supplement.

Seven weeks from my LTKR tomorrow and will have my last pt session on Wednesday. Life is more or less normal, but I am still working on my fatigue and the strange queasiness that has bothered me for weeks. I weighed myself and found I’ve lost 9 pounds without trying! I’d be thrilled if I felt a bit better. I often feel hungry but then what I cook ends up tasting off. I am only taking Tylenol now, so not sure what is causing this.

but I am still working on my fatigue and the strange queasiness that has bothered me for weeks. I weighed myself and found I’ve lost 9 pounds without trying!
I would call your family doctor and get this checked. The taste issue is also concerning. Have you had a covid test?

I’ve been fully vaccinated since before my surgery and still mask and social distance since then. No fever or respiratory symptoms so I don’t think it’s COVID. Just an ever present feeling of slight nausea . . . It reminds me of early pregnancy!

Whew! You certainly don't need covid. Are you taking any pain or blood thinning medication?

No, just tylenol, and usual meds (hypertension and an antidepressant) that I have been on for years.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back