THR Susan209 - not new, but improved

And another - hope you're doing well and just out there enjoying life! :flwrysmile:

Oh, it's been too long... Just popped in and found all the flowers. Thank you! :)

My quiet month (January) never happened, and I've just been flat out. But I guess busy is good. Better than bored, for sure.

I've started back at the gym, just a little gentle cycling on the stationary bike. 15 minutes with no resistance. :upright:I've also started using the pool a little more often, mainly for walking, with a few gentle laps thrown in. :swim: It feels good to do some kind of exercise again.

Off to see OS for my three month check this afternoon, so hopefully all is good. I will be back. :wave:

Yea Susan. Back to life.
Hope OS report is stupendous.
So glad you popped in.:ok:

Hey...miss you girl!
Gently exercising and thriving, great news!
Let us know how that appt goes this afternoon, if you care to share...
Hope your day is great :flwrysmile:
@Susan209

Hmm. Not sure about how to feel about this appointment.
OS seemed happy, but did say the cup will need monitoring. Something about an area on the X-ray that could indicate the cup is not bonding to the bone. :( Back in 3 months for more X-rays and another check.
He is encouraging as much exercise as is tolerable (walking, swimming, cycling) as well as stretching and massaging the incision area.
The knees are slowly getting better, but still not great @BeBe. OS did suggest I should have my knees, wrists, shoulders checked for arthritis. :/

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Oh my stars...don't like you will have that cup thing on your mind now for 3 months?
I wondered how my other joints will fare with having such bad OA in hips....no knee issues yet.
I'll be praying all is well with you.

Last edited:
Pollyanna here - just be thankful you have a surgeon who has his eye on this and is keeping you informed instead of turning a blind eye to anything that could be wrong ("couldn't happen with me as the surgeon") . IF (big IF) there's anything wrong, it's going to be detected and dealt with sooner rather than later!

He's obviously not telling you to sit out life right now so just enjoy your new hip and see what happens in 3 months!

Hi Sue,
Nice to hear from you! I guess that's a bit concerning but your OS must feel comfortable with the watchful
waiting or I'm sure he would be digging deeper. Wondering if @Josephine has experience with this type of situation, whether it happens frequently and at what point it may need to be looked at with a solution in mind.
Hope you've been enjoying life. A great rest of the week to you!
@Susan209

Awww. Thank you all. :roseshwr:

I am glad that OS did take a very thorough look at the x-rays. He didn't just brush this off and he did have a good chat to us about it (I kinda lost it when I got my eyes on the x-ray report, so SO did come along). OS said I'm not showing any of the signs he'd expect to see when the cup really is loose. Could be just a poor x-ray; who knows. Silly me didn't take a photo, and the copy I have on my phone is not good. :umm:
I'm kind of a little more at ease now as I'm in no pain and OS doesn't seem too worried. So hopefully it won't be on my mind for the next few months... @Mojo333

On the bright side, I can now get on shoes and socks without too much effort; can walk quite nicely without my cane, although I do still take it for my trip to/from work on public transport; sleep is awesome except for the cats waking me for food, and half the time I don't even hear that; I'm walking to or from the station every day with ease! (about 3/4mile/1.2km) (sometimes I even walk both ways) plus cycling on the bike at the gym or swimming/walking in our pool.
Yes, I still use a pillow under/between my knees for sleeping and I still get in the car butt first and then pivot my legs in, and I still find it uncomfortable to lie on the op side, but after just 3 months - yes, life is definitely pretty good again. :happydance:
Happy Wednesday, all.

I'm happy to hear you aren't worried, Sue. It sounds like you're OS isn't overly concerned and conveyed
that to you. So...as long as you're feeling well I'd carry on!
Sounds like you're busy living life and continue to make progress in your recovery.
It sure was nice hearing from you. Happy Valentines Day! :loveshwr: Hearts for you & a flower too! :flwrysmile:
@Susan209

It's so nice to walk without hip pain, isn't it. You sound like all in all you are doing splendidly, especially for three months.
Hope your day is sweet.

Hi @Susan209 was just thinking about you actually as tomorrow is our new hip 3 month anniversary. Congrats for tomorrow hey we made it! Good to hear all is going well and hope the xray query with surgeon turns out ok. Sounds as though he's on the case early enough though. It's great just being able to get on with normal life though isn't it, just an extra bit of care needed. I'm back at the gym twice per week now and loving it. It was quite funny on Monday as I still use a walking stick when out of the house but on Monday I parked the car and decided to leave walking stick in the car while I walked to the gym, walked about 100 steps then went back for the stick. Repeated this (as couldn't decide if I was being brave or foolish) about three times then thought I'd probably already walked the distance to the gym, so left the stick in the car - walked a slightly longer way to the gym - up the stairs - and had a really good session including on the treadmill, bike, weights. Was so pleased. Like you I still get in the car backside first - this just seems to have become the norm now, I also still have a pillow under knees in bed - just seems more comfortable. I occasionally find myself lying now on my operated side but don't want to do that for too long, just going with my gut feeling rather than pain at the hip. I copied I think it was one of Mojo's ideas - got my xrays in a small frame and positioned on my desk near keypad and screen so I see them loads - just to remind me to get off my backside and not sit at the desk for hours. And it's working! making great plans to cut down on work now I know there is a great life after THR. Hardly ever need painkillers these days but won't hesitate to take one if I think I need it. Still occasionally ice (sometimes I think this is just my excuse for a nap!) My scar healed really well and has left me with an interesting dimple at top of thigh. Referring to it as surgeon's signature and that's ok. I think my most painful bit - if any- is first thing in the morning when I get up, but once I'm up and moving about it feels ok. Don't know about you but I remember so well what it was like before the op. Just so so glad I had the op. But damn it we have just had another light snow shower, getting really tired of this weather but at least now got a holiday booked for April. So good to read you think life is pretty good again. Take care.

:flwrysmile: I think 3 more months since he looked at the X-rays really well is OK and you can always call and get in sooner if need be. You sound well otherwise ...Hugs

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks