TKR Update

Right now all about HBO Chernobyl. Incredible.

@Benay i f you haven't already, be sure to listen to the Chernobyl podcasts that go with each episode. It helps explain a lot of things and is just as riveting as the TV show. I loved that.

Today I watched Bird Box. Kind of wish I did not see it - I need light and funny right now - not something that scares the **** out of me!

Your son sounds like a gem! Enjoy your spa weekend!

Happiest I've been since I did my knee. It's beautiful here. The spa is amazing, I don't want it to end.

FB6D95BF-2DD2-4C08-A33D-0DA046DB923F.jpeg

Last edited:
With all thanks to @RAD 's example I was motivated to, with hand firmly on the side rail, do foot over foot down and up the stairs at the spa. Felt good, I'm not going to push it but will do it carefully and mindfully when I feel strong and inclined... That's rather than the foot to foot, which I've been stuck doing since January of this year when I tore a ligament in the pre operated leg. Got a 2 hour drive home, I've got my ice all good to go.

Last edited:
@Benay, that's fantastic! Congrats! The first time was the toughest, and then you start to get used to doing stairs that way again.

C73CE96D-0EA3-4D0E-80A8-A1ED34457559.jpeg This morning did a Laguna Beach 40 minute walk. Sand was somewhat uneven but I walked mindfully, heel toe for all that time. It was great, early enough that it wasn't too hot. Pre knee that's something we did frequently at least a couple of times a week. I love going barefoot.

It's 8 weeks tomorrow @Denny39!

That sounds like great progress! I have also justdone going up and downstairs "properly". Up is easier than down!!! I am limiting myself to 3 goes a day, otherwise I can get a bit obsessive!!!!

8 Weeks tomorrow! That’s GREAT! It sounds like you are already enjoying the relatively fresh air and sunshine of short term recovery and no longer miserable. Maybe a little bit uncomfortable now and then, but moving forward. Congratulations and keep up the good work. I’ll move out of really, really rotten Tuesday.

Last edited:
Good report! :cheers:

@Benay

You have given me hope!:)

I am a beach bum at heart and am looking forward to when I will be able to walk down to our local beach and, once again, walk along the water's edge. I am only now in the early part of week 3. However, you have now provided me with inspiration to reach my goal as you have done.:thumb:

Anna:flwrysmile:

@BCSAnna Hi. I originally sent this to Benay, having read your response to her, and thinking it was her post. So here is what should have been tagged to you.

You are 5 days ahead of me. I start week 3 tomorrow. I too love the beach, and you have some beautiful ones along the East Coast. We are about 5 hours away from the nearest beach, so we don’t get there too often. Back in the early 60’s I drove a truck on a route North from LA which included about 75 miles of coastline. I had time to stop and spend 1 - 2 hours on the sand almost every day. Never used a Surfboard, but became very proficient at body surfing. One of the best jobs I ever had.

Although we are a long way from the beach, we do have many beautiful waterfalls in South Carolina. Most of them require at least a short easy hike, some of them a not-so-short-not so-easy hike. Because of my bad knees, I have only been able to do the short ones, and even for those, it’s been a couple of years. I too look forward to being able to resume doing things which I enjoy so much. Based on what I learned from round 1, I have set a target date on my calendar to visit one of my local favorites, a short, easy one.

You’ll be walking the waters edge before you know it, and I’m sure you will enjoy it very much, maybe even better than ever before.

Last edited:
@Benay I just realized you are not the one near the beach. That was a response from @BCSAnna, who is 5 days ahead of me. You are 6 weeks ahead of me. So, that specific response should more properly have been directed to her. Boy was I confused. You, being however in SoCal may also be a beach lover.

If I had made that mistake early this morning, I could blame it on not having had coffee yet. This time of day; no possible excuse. Dain Bramage from the surgery maybe??? Hmmmmm.

Congrats on your 8-week mark!! I hit mine yesterday. While I didn't get to walk in the sand on the beach (so envious - we don't have much of that in the midwest), I did foot-over-foot down the stairs (holding on to two rails) and was so excited. It doesn't feel great or natural, but like driving the car, I finally got there.

Reactions: RAD
That's great and I'm so happy to hear how you're doing. On each flight of our stairs I try to do half normally and half the way I like it. The former is getting easier but not by much. I feel like I've turned a corner in recovery, sleeping better, able to do more without horrendous after effects, still ice but not out of necessity but because weather here is boiling and it's relaxing and cooling, hardly need meds but take something to be sure I sleep. I think we're ready for the 3 month mark. Yay! Looking back it might have been lots worse but not sure if I'd like another go around. Stay in touch!

@Benay congrats on hitting your 2 month mark! I'm 7 weeks today. I had to tell you, just had must 1st post surgical mani/pedi (OS approved). So great! One more step back to normal!

Hope all is well with you and have a Happy 4th!

That's fun! I felt about a million times better afterwards.

Reactions: RAD
It's eight weeks post today, with a minor set back. I've been sleeping in another room from ours because I can wake up and binge (@LaxMom) without disturbing plus I can thrash around and not have to be worried about any thrashing from the other side where the knee gets inadvertently hit - so in the other room I'm not having to sleep with one eye open.

I thought probably was OK to go back to ours at this stage - I know my poor friend feels neglected. So I did. I woke up yesterday morning with a really sore knee and realized I had slept on my side with good leg on top of bad which works fine in the other room and it's how I'm most comfortable. but it's clearly a no no in ours.

There is a really thick memory foam pad on the other bed which is so comfortable. It originally was bought for our bed but my husband found it to be too hot and sticky. It's made the recovery so much easier than lying on our hard as a rock mattress, but I never made the connection till then. I'm back in and on it. Still this morning I've got some residual pain but really not concerned, in a couple of days time I'll be back to my new normal. Amazing how things change and what the new normal has evolved into.

Last edited:
I have also been sleeping in a different room with a great cushion of memory foam. I'm still not ready to join my husband on our bed yet. I have 3 positions where I can sleep for 1.5-3 hours at a time - left side with new knee on top; on back with legs elevated on lounge doc; on the right side with new knee w/no bend behind other knee. I move continuously between those 3 all night long and can't imagine anyone sharing a bed with me getting even a wee bit of uninterrupted sleep. Not sure when that situation will change.

Hi @Benay and @Rather, I’ve been in the same bed with my husband who has tolerated my position switching and multiple wake ups pretty well (dear man). I actually had my best night last night. Switching between side sleeping with op leg on top with pillow in between and sleeping on back with pillow under the op leg. I’ve been waking up every 3 hours or so, but last night I did 5 straight hours with another 3 after a wake up and some Tylenol. Hopefully I’m on too a better trend and you will be soon, I miss good sleep!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back