TKR Update

@RAD your sleeping arrangement sounds perfect and I'll try it but I'm moving all the time when I sleep.

Fascinated by my before and after x-ray.

OS appointment was good, he was pleased with progress. I got a copy of my surgical report, makes for a very cringeworthy read. Discussed pain management and he suggested 2 Tylenol and one Tramadol every 6 hours and thinks in about a month should/could be off all meds. I can bathe (yay) can use any cream of my choice on the scar and the pain running down the inner knee is from the straightening of the bones during the op. Asked how many revisions he does, 10% of his surgeries but they are generally from other surgeons work. So that's that, next appointment is in 3 months.

Attachments

• EB0DBF63-873E-4749-A6BE-B56DF7E97BA8.jpeg
    EB0DBF63-873E-4749-A6BE-B56DF7E97BA8.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
One of those feel good and energetic days yesterday. Paid for it all last night, hardly slept and iced throughout. I'm so disappointed that I can't get the balance part right. I find it so difficult to rein in when it's possible to do at least some of the things I enjoy. The pain down the inner knee was excruciating - even my cat was sympathetic - thought I'd never be able to straighten it again. Everything is so dramatic and exaggerated in the middle of the night. I have PT this morning then going to the Elton John movie, a theatre with super comfy lounge seating. Will take a couple of ice packs, eat popcorn and hopefully forget this knee thing for a few hours.

You're barely a month out. "Getting the balance right" isn't you, it's just the roller coaster ride that is tkr recovery.

Lounge seating should help for the movie.

@kneeper will bear that in mind while trying not to overdo. I guess the only constant is the roller coaster, for now.

@Benay I am in the same boat as you! My TKR was May 7th. I’m stir crazy, feel good at PT then puff up afterwards from swelling. I want to go do things but know I’m going to “pay” for it. I never really know if I should push myself or not!

@cvg same with me. Doing way too much yesterday has made me reconsider my recklessness. So much pain last night. I'm definitely improving but I want it too fast. I like @kneeper saying that the recovery is a roller coaster ride. Guess we're on it for better or worse. I'm trying to post like this is a journal - a record of the ups and downs. Nice that we're so close together in surgery dates.

Reactions: cvg
Does anyone have advice for the best working scar cream once my bandage is off? OS suggests straight Vitamin E.

That is the same thing my surgeon said. Straight Vit E.

:catdance:5 weeks and 1 day, I can feel the numb areas either side of the scar coming back to life very gradually.

Some of my areas are still numb on both knees. What wonderful news that yours are waking up.

I'm taking this weekend to do nothing. Slept 8 hours straight last night, will do my finger nails today and only other minor bits- maybe some scar massage (decided on medaderm because we had it and it has great reviews). It feels good to not feel obligated in any direction. Not even feeling the need to do my exercises.

Congratulations on a full night of sleep, and I understand wishing this was all a distant memory. I meant to tell you the other day I was jealous of your movie excursion. I was looking forward to the Elton John movie myself but knew I'd be laid up with the TKR when it came out. I figure I can always catch it later, but I DO miss our usual May-June-July family movie days. Enjoy your day of nails and no exercises too. :)

Last edited:
The movie was fabulous but their lounge seating not 100 % comfy for TKRs. Gap between the reclining seat and the foot rest which caught me right where it was most uncomfy. Tried to stuff my coat into the gap in desperation. Had ice packs and managed but not inclined to revisit for awhile yet. I'd like to go see the movie again it was that good.

I'm glad it was that good of a movie, but I wish you would have been more comfortable. I applaud your efforts to ensure a good experience though. :) Sometimes we just want to be normal and have fun, regardless of the state of our body.

It's coming up 6 weeks and I've turned a corner here - don't want to jinx it. Sleeping better and I have less pain, mindful of making an effort not to overdo and then regress. Now to address the 5lbs :good-bad:gained with inactivity and comfort eating, poor knee/me

Benay, that's great, glad to her you've turned a corner. My 4 week anniversary is tomorrow, and like you, I think I've turned a corner and I don't want to jinx it! I went back to work yesterday and its been going pretty well. I make sure to get up once or twice an hour and walk for a few minutes, and I take one or two elevate and ice breaks. PT is going well too, I've been very lucky. I loved my at home PT and my outpatient PT is great. Totally off any assistance devices. Still have some swelling a feel a little uneven when I'm walking, but my PT tells me that's typical as you adjust to walking properly (I was bowed prior to surgery). My sleep is better but I still wake up at least once to adjust my sleeping position. Hopefully that will get better too. Getting in a good sleeping position is still the most uncomfortable part of the day. Fingers crossed for you, me and everyone else here to keep improving without regression!!

@RAD so nice to see your update. Keep watching out for you and hope you're doing well - and I'm so glad you are! We're still early days yet, I'll be sure to keep on updating, please you too. Feel like when I can walk stairs normally that's going to be my benchmark for hurrah time. Meanwhile hanging on to the small victories as they come and trying to rein in on the cocky xx

Reactions: RAD
Exactly, every day I try to do one small thing that I haven't done yet. I agree about stairs. Still doing one at a time without any cane. Will probably try to go foot over foot in the next week or so when the PT thinks I'm ready. Keep thinking positive and enjoy every new milestone, large and small!

@Benay Hi there! Love how much you post in here - I've been reading up on all you have been going thru and we sound very very similar. I am going stir crazy too. I had my post op on June 6 and he was happy with where I was at. I feel like I am super slow still!! At 4 weeks was still using the cane, very uncomfortable in the car within minutes and to me, TONS of stiffness. I also still have bruising on the knee cap and alot of swelling in the knee cap that has not absorbed from the surgery. Now I'm in to the start of week 6 and seeing a bit more improvement in sleep and walking. Have only driven once to take my dog to the vet. No way could I do the grocery store still!! My issue is overdoing house chores at this point... ugh... anyway thanks for keeping such a great log. Nice to see you feel you have turned a corner!! Hoping I get the same sense in this week!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back