• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR Survivor Diaries

OP
OP
Benay

Benay

graduate
Country
United States United States
I did all these stairs today foot over foot (descending) with no effort at all in South Coast Plaza. Still our stairs at home are proving to be more challenging. I think maybe our risers are too tall, not to code ☹. Next time I'm taking my tape measure and checking the heights.

I measured ours, just a hair under 8. I'm back on Monday to pick up my new shoes, will measure the riser there. Def lower, guestimate less than 7".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Benay

Benay

graduate
Country
Sorry missed the pic and can't even see the option to add when I edit. But here we go... Cal Code has a max height of 7 3/4" and no sign of a minimum. I've noticed some risers are really low in commerical properties. With the knee being as it is, it makes a massive difference to being able to comfortably navigate or not. This staircase was smooth and easy.

members pic.jpg

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I agree, the actual height of the step makes a big difference, and they do vary.

Last edited:

RAD

Country
That is great @Benay I took the NYC subway today and was able to handle the stairs foot over foot up and down. It was a good day since a lot of people were off from work (including me) and it wasn’t crazy crowded.

OP
OP
Benay

Benay

graduate
Country
Makes you feel part of the normal world again the foot over foot action. I love NYC.

Reactions: RAD

tabbykit

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi @Benay, just caught up on your thread and seems you are having a smooth recovery! Well done with the stairs, can't imagine doing that yet as I don't have enough bend ... a goal to look forward to!

OP
OP
Benay

Benay

graduate
Country
I thought I was 9 weeks post but I'm 8. I had to go back and edit.

OP
OP
Benay

Benay

graduate
Country
I wanted to post this on my timeline so if I ever need to go back in the future to see how the journey progressed this will be a good reminder for me at week 8. :martini:

Have to say I never had a meltdown. Remained stoic and focused on that knee and handling it best I could especially in the early days. I think probably more difficult for my closest one being that there was so little he could do to make it better faster. I was, and still am, really excited for the small victories and improvements.

I'm 8 weeks out and feel really good (touch wood) and sense I'm moving away from that all encompassing world of "the knee".

RAD

Country
@Benay, my experience has been so similar to yours, thanks for articulating it the way you did! I also haven’t had a meltdown. Stoic and focused is just where I’ve been too. I’ve tried to stay as positive as possible. Most of my time outside work or PT has been with my husband, and he’s been so great about taking care of all the home stuff I haven’t had to think about it, which has been such a help. I’m at 8 weeks on Wednesday, and I too am ready to have my knee not take precedence over everything else (at least once in a while). Still having some sleeping issues and while my extension is great (0), my flex could be better (about 100 -105), but I’m trying to take walks, ice, elevate and rest when I can and not worry too much.

OP
OP
Benay

Benay

graduate
Country
@RAD fun to stay in touch with close surgery buddy! Feel we are both over that hump, I need to stay mindful and watch out for the over confident but I feel half way human. Even told my son, who is out of town frequently, I'm good to come house and cat sit. Not possible to hike those Hollywood Hills yet but getting closer.

RAD

Country
Yes, it’s good to have a buddy and feel half human @Benay! Let’s keep it going!

winemama

senior
Country
I haven’t been able to go down steps in my home, I’m going to look for less steep ones to try. I’m 9 weeks yesterday, and enjoy reading people’s stories that are in the same weeks as me

OP
OP
Benay

Benay

graduate
Country
@winemama I enjoy your posts too. When I pick up my shoes tomorrow I'll measure the rise on the stairs I found so easy to walk down outside the store. Initially baffled as to the reason. Would love to tear my staircase out.

Planning on keeping a measuring tape in my bag like a crazy person.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Planning on keeping a measuring tape in my bag like a crazy person.
This made me laugh!

My chiropractor’s office has 4 steps. I have not measured them but I can go up them foot over foot, and recently down them, foot over foot. The height must be just right and there’s only 4. I do this only holding the railing, no cane,

However, my son lives in a second floor condo and I can only go up those steps foot over foot, holding the railing with my left hand and using my cane in my right hand. I can’t even try coming down foot over foot. The railing would then be on my right side, and I wouldn’t trust the cane in my left hand, and it’s a full flight and I also have height issues, so looking down the whole flight and not knowing if I can do it is very scary.

In case you haven’t noticed my surgery date, it’s been more than 2 years and I am only now beginning to do steps foot over foot, but they have to be the perfect height.

Definitely not the recovery I was expecting. :bawl:

OP
OP
Benay

Benay

graduate
Country
My rationale for doing the surgery, I think before it was necessary (didn't limp, no-one could tell unless I twisted it, or had to walk down a really steep hill - virtually impossible, had to go down backwards) was if left as it was it would deteriorate - no idea how quickly - but eventually I'd be forced to have it replaced.

Biting the bullet and getting it over and done with and dealing with the pain of recovery I'd have a very good chance of having an excellent knee and might even be able to kneel, I'm hopeful. Plus 'young' enough to kind of bounce back and who knows what unexpected ailments may crop up as time matches on. This is one thing taken care of.

So far I think I did the absolute right thing at the right time and, even at it's worst, I know I had weighted that decision correctly.

Last edited:

lopat

Country
rationale for doing the surgery, I think before it was necessary (didn't limp, no-one could tell unless I twisted it, or had to walk down a really steep hill - virtually impossible, had to go down backwards) was if left as it was it would deteriorate - no idea how quickly - but eventually I'd be forced to have it replaced.
@Benay, that’s me exactly. Unless, I walked 20,000 steps, (which I do do at WDW) you wouldn’t have known by looking. When OS suggested shots, I asked, am I gonna need surgery in a couple of years? He said, yes. I said let’s do it now while I’m still so active. Best thing I’ve done for me, although not sure I would’ve said that on Day 5.

Glad to hear you’re doing so well.

OP
OP
Benay

Benay

graduate
Country
@lopat you too, thanks for the update. We're just a week and a few days difference in dates. So far so good, but then I think I have a short memory for the unpleasant.

OP
OP
Benay

Benay

graduate
Country
members pic.jpg
As promised, I measured when I picked up my shoes today 7". Amazed at the difference 1" makes (these stairs to ours) walking up and down the 7"ers so much easier than the 8"s.

OP
OP
Benay

Benay

graduate
Country
A milestone of sorts and it's not stair talk... Just got discharged from PT 127/0. Is that flexion/extension? I never a quite got which is which.

Tomorrow is my 9 week mark. I overdid the gardening yesterday so will be icing and trying to be less energized this afternoon and tomorrow. It's hard because the weather is so pleasant and the garden beautiful.

lisabl

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Great news. I see my PT tomorrow and as I only see her every 2 weeks or so, I know I will not be signed off yet.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Julia1911
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom