BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Surviving pain for the last 30 days prior to surgery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Second Time Around, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Second Time Around

Second Time Around junior member

United States United States
    This Saturday, I have to give up NSAIDs and any other natural remedies for inflammation for the 30 days before surgery. I take tylenol (acetaminophen) and I will begin taking Celebrex, which I am allowed to take up until THR surgery. I took the Celebrex before my first TKA and honestly, I don't think it really helped at all. Has anyone had success taking it, maybe I should be doing other things too?

At this point, I get very little sleep due to the pain. It's like taking 4 or 5 naps, I haven't slept through the night since late July :( Does anyone have suggestions that don't include drugs I can't take?

2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

3. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

I take Celebrex and have for many years. At times I've taken it one a day (200mg) every day and other times like now I only need to take one every 3-4 days. Like any NSAID, it's not the best idea to be on them constantly for long periods of time because of the risk of bleeding problems. That said, Celebrex works differently that other NSAIDs like Aleve, ibuprofen, or Naproxin and it has been shown to be less of a risk.

One thing I noticed with Celebrex is that the generic form absolutely does not work for me. I have to get the original name brand drug to get relief from any arthritic pain. Obviously I don't need it for my 2 replaced knees, but I have some spinal stenosis and arthritic shoulders that benefit from even that smaller dose. So if you're getting it and you used the generic version before, I'd recommend that you get the real deal this time. It's expensive, but if it works it will be worth it and it's only temporary.

4. Second Time Around

Hi Pumpkin,

I have already joined the December Supernovas for a right hip replacement; for some reason I don't see my name on the list when I go back to it. My surgery date is Dec 17th. I have already had both knees replaced (the last in 2014).

How does a knee sleeve for compression help my hip? I am not sure what that does when the pain and inflammation are really coming from my hip. I do have some knee bursitis, but that pain is much less in comparison with my hip.

5. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I've let Bottomshollow know so you should be seeing your name there soon.:ok:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  7. Second Time Around

Thank you, on October 12 I signed up with my surgery date in the pre-op site for hips. My surgery date is December 17.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. oregonlass

oregonlass new member

I’m in the last few days pre-op and saw my surgeon yesterday. My left hip, scheduled for surgery 12/10, has really messed with my left knee causing significant pain and swelling there. My doc okayed me to continue to use a topical hemp balm up to surgery - every doc may be different.
    I also found going with a bigger pillow between my legs helped and icing the hip for like 2 hours before bed. That long icing really did help and I was able to get a decent night’s sleep.
    They are right - ice is your best friend.

9. Second Time Around

I have been icing but it's only temporary, for about an hour's worth of less pain. The biggest issue is waking up due to the pain 4 or 5 times a night, and not being able to get back to sleep. I have tried Salonpas with lidocaine, and that also has a minor effect on bringing down the pain for a while too. Just dealing the best ways I can and waiting for surgery on the 17th! Good luck oregonlass with your surgery on the 10th!

10. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi, I'm sorry you're struggling with pain. Losing sleep because you're unable to get comfortable is frustrating. Consider trying a heating pad if you haven't already. I found it to work for me in the weeks leading up to surgery. I'd usually go to bed early, exhausted from pain and limping and I found it brought me great comfort to lay in bed with it and watch tv for a time before falling asleep. Give it a try.
    Wishing you comfort as you await the 17th.
    @Second Time Around

11. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Agree with Layla. Great is what helped me...not alot, but soothing.
    Really isn't a lot we can do..that's why we get OT hip replaced.
    I was so sleep deprived by the time I had mine done!!
    Not much longer...hang in there @Second Time Around !