THR Surprise Hip Pain?!

HipsterMum

Country
United States United States
Well, it's 5 months post left THR all was going fantastic, now in last 3 weeks SURPRISE... significant hip pain! All symptoms (lifting leg off ground more than few inches, foot slides, problems putting on socks) point to hip tendonitis - ileopsoas tendon. Surgeon had X-ray done, blood work... no problems, no infection. He suspects tendonitis, suggests cortisone shot if it doesn't go away. What troubles me is I had no change in activity... in fact, really only been doing every day stuff + light walking. Perhaps, too much sitting was in the back of my mind. I had no problems up to this pain coming on, although I still have numbness/burning sensation left of incision, attributed to pretty common dermal nerve injury. My REAL problem is, I have right THR scheduled next month! I'm super apprehensive to go ahead with this if my left hip tendonitis isn't healed!! I had cortisine shots for years for both deteriorated hips joints and certainly don't want to go back to that for chronic tendonitis. Appreciate any feedback!

Sorry to hear of your sudden onset of pain. There are others who will join in who know about tendinitis. You might consider going to a physical therapist to see if there is some kind of muscle imbalance. Typically we don't recommend immediate PT here .. .but I think five months and you're not increasing your activity ... a good PT can identify possible weakness ... and can possibly rule out muscle weakness.

Don't forget to ice ... icing helps well into recovery ... I still use ice occasionally.

Question: how far can you walk right now? Before the pain kicks in? ... or does pain kick in immediately?

Are you using a cane? Does the cane help? ... Your immediate goal is to get out of pain. Don't worry about "going backwards."

Hi @HipsterMum I wonder, could it possibly be because your right hip is worsening and you are using lefty more than you realize?

The reason I ask, my 4 year old LTHR was very grumpy and achy before my surgery date arrived for righty. I remember thinking that I didn't want to do anything that would mess up my solid lefty..it was very worrisome.

I see you are new to our forum! So :welome: and congratulations on your shiny new hip ( give or take 5 months).

I know it's later in the healing game for you but would love to leave you our recovery guidelines.. maybe something there will resonate with you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications

Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

One more question? Can you please leave your upcoming surgery date for your right hip and your past surgery date with the left hip?
Just post it here on your thread and one of our moderators will add a signature for you. It will show on any post you make, which is helpful for anyone reading about your recovery.

I'm sorry you are worrying. :console2:

Right THR 10/01/19 Anterior
Left THR will be 4/30/20 Anterior

Thank you for your replies!!
I can walk fine on flat surfaces, pain is minimal, surely can do a mile or more. However, have pain lifting foot above a few inches, so going up more than 10-12 stairs becomes a problem, putting on socks, etc.I don't believe I've been overcompensating, i.e. hurting my left because right is bad. I believe part of the problem has been I've been on Celebrex for right hip (and other joint) pain since Dec. The left hip pain started several weeks ago to 'show' through the pain medicine. I stopped the pain med to see how bad left hip is and that's when I knew, it was NOT GOOD. Likely, I've had hip flexor tendinitis for more than the last several weeks, but didn't feel it much until it got worse. I've gone back on pain meds and the left hip pain is less--- but still show through the med. What I don't understand is my activity level since Dec has been very little--- been busy and only done the normal getting around, minimal walking, chores, every day stuff. The last few weeks, I've wanted to get fit before next surgery, e.g. start every day walking, hills, stretch bands, but clearly can't do anything but walking with left hip seemingly with hip flexor tendinitis. I have done ice here/there and of course it feels better right after, but lifting foot pain still persisting. Thanks for any further advice!!!

Thank you for posting your surgery dates, it's so helpful..

It does sound like a tendinitis, doesn't it? 5 months is still fairly early in the healing scheme of things, I hope you let your hips rest and when you can, ask your OS his opinion.

I'm still thinking that it's being compounded by your left hip's increasing weakness and pain.

Thank you for your reply Cricket! Yes, could be compounded by right hip, but still very surprising as my activity in last 3 mos. has been so limited (buried in a lot of paperwork, so even walking limited), wouldn't consider it overuse at all-- more so under use! With this in mind, was wondering if part of the new hip apparatus is rubbing on the hip tendon-ileopsoas? I'm an ex-athlete back in the day and have experienced tendonitis elsewhere--- always seems to have been overuse being the trigger and rest the remedy. Anyway, will take it day to day as my right hip surgery may not happen in April... C Virus shutting everything down in California with expectation that community spread is real and hospitals could be inundated :(

Hi HipsterMum,

I was very interested to read about your new pain at five months. My total hip replacement was Oct. 14, 2019 (posterior). I had been feeling very little pain the past month and am surprised to be feeling new and different pain now at five months, although it's not the same as yours. It's more a pain running down the outside of my thigh and some swelling above my scar. Like you, I haven't changed my activity level dramatically, except for one thing: I had been in London since January and was using my cane at all times while walking outside because the sidewalks are so crowded and chaotic. On returning to Washington, DC, I started walking without a cane. It's also hillier here. You mentioned that you started taking on more hills in preparation for your next surgery. I realize none of this is helpful to you, but I just thought it was weird that we're both experiencing more pain at the five-month mark. I'll be watching your thread in hopes of seeing an improvement for you and posting improvement of my own.

Hi Hiplucy, thank you for your share of same timing-5 mos post, new pain. I had anterior approach & still have significant numbess & tingly/burning sensation left/below anterior scar. Dr said superficial nerve-below skin, injury---fairly common w ant approach & needs more time to heal. it's been this way since surgery... a bit of an annoyance, but nothing compared to this new hip flex pain which is impeding normal actvity. Rest, ice,anti-inflammatory med--- nothing seems to be helping hip flexor pain now 5 weeks since i noticed. Yes, keep sharing your story! PS. elective surgeries now cancelled in NY due to C virus; might be my April RT surgery not happening if Calif does same!

PS. elective surgeries now cancelled in NY due to C virus; might be my April RT surgery not happening if Calif does same!

There is some flexibility doctors will have to close out elective surgeries in New York City, according to CNN, but not all of NY state will do this. It depends on where you live in NY.

Welcome @HipsterMum So sorry you are in pain. One thought that came to my mind when reading your symptoms above is that it seems odd that if it’s tendonitis, shouldn’t the anti inflammatory meds be helping?

Hope you find an answer soon and that your surgery can go on as scheduled. Take care. :flwrysmile:

Yes, the anti-inflammatory I take reduces the pain, however it's still there, lessened but pain still comes through the med. The left hip with THR /suspected tendonitis now is more painful (especially when I wake up) than arthritic/worn out right hip.

Hello @HipsterMum :wave:
Stopping by to say Hi and wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing since we last heard from you? We’d love to read an update when you have time. I hope things continue to improve and you’re enjoying progress.
Best Wishes for a happy holiday weekend and a great Summer! :SUNsmile:

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hope you’re enjoying progress and the Summer. I can’t believe August is already knocking at the door. Time flies. Stay safe and well!
@HipsterMum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks