THR Surgery was 11/18/19 - I'm home now.

aja8888

Country
United States United States
It's now Friday and been home since Tuesday. Monday was the surgery. I'm doing OK and able to walk, using a walker, with no problem although the swelling is noticeable. Pain is tolerable. Icing daily and eating OK. I don't recall how long it took to recover from my first hip replacement (left side) 11 years ago, but this one seems like it will take longer. Hey, I'm 11 years older too!

Hey! New hip, already home and you sound like you are adjusting well. I thought that same things with my second hip, a little more difficult and that I was older, which may make a difference. :)
I think part of it is our memories softening the reality of the earlier surgery, too.

Oh and I'd like to leave you our HIp Recovery Guidelines.. there are some very good articles to refer to as you progress with your recovery:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks CricketHip. I've read most of this material already from this great site, but will review it again to make sure I haven't missed anything.. Right now, the hardest part of being home is that my wife, who is handicapped and on oxygen all the time, is having a hard time waiting on me. The second hardest part has been keeping my 4 year old male Terrier at bay to minimize contact so that I don't pick up an infection.

I have a friend taking the dog for walks, which I did several times a day. Another neighbor is helping on an as needed basis.

My sleep (not great) has been 1/2 recliner and 1/2 bed, both on my back which has been tough as I am a side sleeper. I'm also not very hungry but that may have something to do with the crummy sleep I have been getting.

But I am hanging in there and will survive this. LOL

Hi @aja8888
I was a mostly recliner sleeper too as back sleeping was difficult to get used to...
Within a few short weeks, you will get much stronger and it will take alot of the burden off of your wife.
Hang in there friend!!:friends:

Slept for 7+ hours last night. Felt good, even though it was in the recliner. Took a shower and went out for a slow 1/3 mile walk with the waker and a neighbor with me. Tomorrow, a friend is picking me up around 8 AM to go to my Monday meetup with other retired friends.

I'm still using ice for the swelling after 6 days since the surgery. No more arthritic pain in the hip area!!

Happy One Week Anniversary!
You may want to slow your roll, just a bit.
Going out to meet up with friends may be a little ambitious at only one week post op. I'm guessing you'll feel pretty exhausted from the outing once back home. I'd also ice preventatively after the activity of the morning. I understand this isn't your first THR and thankfully you're sleeping well. I would hate to see you overdo it early on and stall your recovery.
Have a great week!
@aja8888

Layla, thanks for the guidance. I cancelled the morning meet up as my leg/muscle pain had increased due to the outdoor walk yesterday. At 76, I'm seeing I'm not as fast to heal as I was at 65 when I had the first hip replacement. Today is "easy and ice".

But sitting in this recliner all day is driving me nuts. My usual "day" included over 10,000 walking steps for the last few years.

Again, thanks for the guidance! You are right on with it.

Tony

Uh oh! I think we have a wild one on our hands. :wink:
I may need to call in the re-enforcements. :heehee:

All kidding aside, it sounds as though you're used to being active and I'm imagining you're physically fit. I'm sorry you're suffering some discomfort from the walk yesterday. You're wise in taking it easy today, then slowly engaging once you're feeling stronger. I understand it's difficult to sit when you're used to being active but "look at this surgery as an investment in your future, look
after it now and it will serve you well for years to come".
I swiped that sentiment above from a member. It's a good one...I like it!

Hope your day is sweet!
@aja8888

Layla:

You are right and I am one of those who has no major physical (or other) issues for my age other than the arthritis worm that crawled into my right hip. So I really need to lay low and take it slow on the uptake here.

Which I will do.

Thanks,

Tony

Feeling pretty good today and just walking around the house. No pain in the hip, just a bit in the muscles around it and upper leg. I'm figuring out how to actually sleep all night in the recliner. Bathroom is no issue nor is taking a shower. I see the Doc on 12/2 for the surgery followup.

Isn't having no hip pain a wonderful thing?! You're doing some walking in the house, you've figured out how to get some sleep plus no bathroom issues and able to take showers. You are all over this recovery! :happydance: Just continue to take it slow and easy.

You are doing well @aja8888. Glad to read that you've backed off some of your activities.
Patience is key for your recovery right now.. Annoying, yes. Necessary, yes!
Happy Thanksgiving!

I am happy to hear your pain is so low at this point! :egypdance:

I use a velour cover buckwheat neck pillow, just so my right cheek, that I traditionally lie on, has something to lean against, in the recliner.

Maybe a small rolled towel might serve the same purpose?

Day 12 after surgery and I am still doing fine. I am walking our small dog three times per day and using my walker for support. Easy to do and he likes it. I am still sleeping in the recliner as it is getting easier to do.

Monday I have my follow up visit with the surgeon. After that, I hope he releases me to drive.

Hope everyone had as great a Thanksgiving as we did.

Cheers!

Tony

Glad you are doing well and had a good Thanksgiving.
You sound like you are doing very well.

I felt very reassured after my one month follow up and it will be great to be on the road again:driver:
Hope your weekend is sweet!

Ahh, the follow up appointment, that is usually a good visit. I always enjoyed mine and am looking forward to my 6 month follow up later in December.
You sound like you are enjoying the little improvements and have a good attitude, which is half or more of the battle in the first few weeks.
I like the image of you walking your little dog while on the walker. :dogwalk:

Great news, Tony. Thanks for the update. You're doing well it seems.
Best of luck at your post op on Monday. Let us know how it goes and if you're back behind the wheel. :driver:
Have a great Sunday!
@aja8888

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom