TKR Surgery Update

loyal1967

Country
United States United States
Surgery was at noon on 4/8. I was up walking around 4:30. They had me walking again at 7 and 9. I ended up getting a nerve block and spinal. I got home after lunch on Saturday. Sunday morning was traumatic. The nerve block had worn off, and I was miserable. I guess the pain got ahead of me for awhile. My daughter got me on a pain meds regimen, so doing much better. I went to outpatient PT yesterday. Everything looks good. I’m hoping it’s not as long as with my other knee. I sure can tell when I’m due for another pain pill. The ice machine is great. We just use frozen water bottles in it.I use it a lot, especially at night sleeping.

Sounds like you’re doing well despite the pain which is to be expected. Be careful not to let PT push you too hard too fast. At this point you should be doing little more than moving around the house.

Welcome to the healing side!
I’m sorry you had a rough Sunday morning. Thankfully you reeled in the pain to a more manageable level. Keep up the icing and get the restorative rest you need for a successful recovery. Wishing you comfort as you begin the journey!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hope you are progressing nicely. Those first weeks home after surgery are so challenging. You are in pain and discomfort, stressing over what is normal or abnormal, not sleeping well and so much more. It's great you have found this site as so much great information and support from people who have gone through what you are experiencing so keep us posted. This recovery is often long and much patience is needed but you will get there.
Good luck with it all.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks