THR Surgery tomorrow, hospital stay!

Breeze2day

Country
Canada Canada
Hello! I’ll only be on this side for another 20 hours, surgery is set for tomorrow 11 o’clockish. I spoke with my surgeon today, and all is asked and answered. I’ll be in hospital anywhere from 2-4 days, tomorrow is day zero. Lateral approach, spinal anesthesia. I think I’ll ask for something to relax me too, I don’t care if I remember, but definitely am a bit weirded out about not being completely under.

I have borrowed an assist recliner from my in-laws, borrowed all my equipment from the Abilities council (walker, toilet assist stand, bath transfer bench), and have my bag packed with my walker for my husband to bring after my surgery. I’ve been scouring this forum for tips, got some power aid to drink tomorrow morning.

any last minute tips are very welcome!

No particular tips, but I want to say good luck to you.

I had a spinal also. Easy peasy! I had to laugh at your mention of remembering, because I asked the anesthesiologist what is the deal with being concerned that patients don't remember. I would *like* to remember and find it all very interesting. He informed me that lots of people don't want to remember anything at all, even leaving their cars to get to admitting. I guess I wouldn't want to remember my surgeon saying "Uh oh!" but other than that...

Anyway, for me it was a nerve block, then a little calming something or other, on to surgery and the spinal. I don't remember a thing past hearing that they were ready with the spinal, until waking in PACU.

Best wishes!

All the best tomorrow, I was not aware of anything during my surgery with a spinal.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

:wave: @Breeze2day
Healing vibes coming your way in advance!:loveshwr:

The tip most helpful I was given is to keep the mantra "All Temporary" in your mind.

Also, I wasn't aware of the "Log Leg "sensation where my leg seemed traumatized and heavy and it frightened me until I got reassurance from the forum from Those who have been there...all normal and All Temporary.
This is not always the case for everyone, but wish I had known in advance.

Will look for you on the Healing Side.
Bye bye Hip Pain.:tada:

How did things go? The worst is over, it's all uphill from here! Come and say hello when you get home and let us know how you're doing <3

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom