ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

Bilateral TKR Surgery Soon

Annemarie999

Country
United States United States
I’m scheduled for July 1st and am very nervous!

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to BoneSmart! Would you please tell me which knee is having the surgery so we can make a signature for you?

Being nervous before any surgery is very normal and expected. I was basically on the petrified list before my TKR six years ago, but the people here were very supportive and helped me get through it all. Your time is very short until the 1st, keeping yourself as busy as possible until then will help, especially the day before. I totally get it; just a call from my doctor's scheduler letting me know I'm on the high priority list when they open up some more operating rooms set my nerves off big time. Your nerves will be there in some form until after the surgery, then you'll have a whole new set of worries. But, the thing to remember is that this is the first step to taking your life back, and even though you have to go through all this to get to that point, it will be worth it in the end.

I'm going to give you our recovery guidelines now so you can read them before, and again (and again) afterwards.

Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
after your surgery.

Bum Knee

Country
I just had mine June 18th and it was my first ever surgery. I was very nervous so a word of encouragement is it goes fast and furious and I don’t remember a thing lol. They will give you enough pain meds to take the edge off but keep on them and as the nerve block wears off next day you may want to up pain meds to whatever they recommend and your pain is at bay. I promise you will do fine but the worse is right now, waiting.....God Bless you and I will be praying for you.

OP
OP
Annemarie999

Annemarie999

Country
I’m having both knees done on July 1st.
Thank you for the advice and prayers. The waiting is hard. I’m reading as much as I can and just trying to stay busy. My house has never been cleaner. Lol.

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Good Luck today (July1st) on your Surgery :flwrysmile:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics