THR Surgery scheduled

Sauragal

Country
United States United States
Hi all! I'm scheduled for RTHR July 10th. I had my left hip replaced 6 years ago. A lot has changed with surgery since then as now they don't do general anesthesia any more, just spinal blocks and it's totally freaking me out for 2 reasons. First, I'm very squeemish and I think I may panic if I hear sawing or hammering going on. Secondly, I have spinal stenosis due to a slipped vertebrae which is causing peripheral neuropathy in both feet and lower legs with sciatica down my right leg into my foot. I've heard tales of people coming out of this surgery with worse back problems than they started with due to the spinal block injections. Has anyone had a THR with spinal stenosis? What was your experience? Am I being too paranoid?

@Sauragal Welcome to BoneSmart! When surgery is done with a spinal block they also give sedating medications to the patient. So you should sleep through the whole thing. Do tell the anesthesiologist that you are anxious and do not want to hear anything during the procedure.

Your surgeon is aware of your spinal stenosis, yes? Do also mention it to the anesthesiologist when you speak to that person. We have seen quite a few people here who have that problem and some have had spinal anesthesia too. You can use the search function here to find threads about this.

Since you have already had one hip replaced you probably remember what the recovery is like. But here is the BoneSmart list of pre op articles and helpful suggestions.

I have requested that a signature be created for you with your up coming surgery date.

Hip: pre-surgery considerations

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads in stories of amazing hip recoveries

@Sauragal Welcome to BoneSmart! I have multiple spinal issues including stenosis, degenerative discs, spondylolisthesis and chronic sciatic nerve issues. I had a spinal and sedation with both THRs and had no problem.

What area of your spinal has stenosis? This information should be on the notes from your MRI.

Discuss your spinal issues with the anaesthetist. There really should be no problem having a spinal. But the anaesthetist will make the call. Also make sure you will have sedation. There is no need to see or hear anything during the procedure. Sedation will put you into a nice, comfy sleep and you will wake up alert with no nausea or groggy feeling.

I've had a bunch of surgeries always with GA. I had the decision to make with my THR and was convinced by many to go with the spinal. For me it was great, I mean really no comparison to GA. It was strange when it took effect before I was unaware. During surgery they gave me something tat put me to sleep so I never knew or heard anything. When I woke up in recovery it was instant. I was wide awake and not sleepy or groggy. No side effects and I spoke to my wife on the phone right away in recovery.

Thanks for the welcome. Wow! Good to know they give you something to make you sleep. They didn't tell me that. Thanks for this good info. Also good to hear your experience Jaycey as it sounds like you have many of the same issues that I do. My stenosis is at L5 S1 as this is where the slipped vertebrae is. I tried to get info about the spinal block thru the portal but they just said to talk with the anesthesiologist at my appointment which is not until June 14th. In the meantime anxiety creeps in. I was afraid the injection in that area would aggravate/make worse the nerve pain I'm already experiencing. Eman85 it sounds like you had a good experience with your hip surgery and spinal block - that is reassuring to hear. I really am looking forward to having the THR done because its becoming increasingly difficult to walk and I'm very limited in what I can do. Emotionally it's hard to deal with, I just have to hang in there!

Hi @Sauragal and welcome to BoneSmart!

Please give us the date of your Left THR -- as well as any spinal surgeries you may have had -- so we can add that to your signature. This gives our staff and other members a quick history that is helpful when we reply to your posts.

LTHR was done March 29th, 2016. Thank you!

Good to know they give you something to make you sleep. They didn't tell me that.
Shame on them! Just tell the anaesthetist you don't want to see or hear anything throughout the procedure. They will be watching you the whole time and make sure you are comfortable.
My stenosis is at L5 S1 as this is where the slipped vertebrae is.
Well I had spinal decompression at L3/L4 and the anaesthetist said the injection would be above that area so no problem. L5/S1 is well below that area. Discuss this on the day. Do make sure you talk to the person who will be administering the spinal. Weeks before my LTHR at my pre-op I spoke to a junior doctor who had no clue. Caused me major stress unnecessarily as I did not want GA.
I was afraid the injection in that area would aggravate/make worse the nerve pain I'm already experiencing.
I won't be anywhere near that area so please don't worry.

I think you will find that your spinal issues may ease a bit post op. You are walking all wrong trying to stay off that sore hip. Many of our members report back issues easing post op.

Yep, as other posters have said, I got a spinal and that’s the last thing I remember. :heehee: I don’t think you could be awake for something like that! I have had two hip replacements and TBH, I still don’t know entirely what’s involved. I tried to know as little about the actual procedure as possible to keep myself from freaking out. “Blissfully ignorant” I think they call it.

Good luck to you!

Eman85 it sounds like you had a good experience with your hip surgery and spinal block - that is reassuring to hear. I really am looking forward to having the THR done because its becoming increasingly difficult to walk and I'm very limited in what I can do. Emotionally it's hard to deal with, I just have to hang in there!
Yeah, I liked it so much the first time I went back for another. Seriously my first had complications, known ahead of time, so it took a while in surgery and I was unaware of any of it. I was truly amazed in recovery how clear headed I was and never had any ill side effects. I hadn't been given the choice of anesthesia ahead of time. The anesthesiologist came in during pre-op with the choice and gave me info and came back for my decision. I did know from friends in healthcare about the option so I decided to go with it and was very pleased. The first time I was unaware of being rolled out of pre-op. With the second I was aware of being placed on the operating table and reassured I would be asleep and I was.

Thank goodness! Really that makes me feel at least 50% better! So glad to hear they inject above the L4 region. I guess I thought they might hit a nerve and that would make the nerve pain worse going into my legs. I will definitely talk to the anesthesiologist about this, but I thank you all for your feedback as it helps with a more positive mindset going into the conversation. I hope you are all doing well now after your procedures.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom