THR Surgery rescheduled for August 19

Charly

Country
United States United States
My surgery has been scheduled for July 29, 2020. In October 2018 I fell and fractured my left femur and had
surgery with rod inserted. Now the head of the femur has died and I have arthritis there. So I decided on surgery.
Saw my surgeon after he had ordered blood work and it showed infection/inflammation in my results. So now I have to have a hip aspiration to see if there is infection there. Praying that is not the case. If it is then I would have to have surgery and he would put an antibiotical hip? and then 3 months later do another surgery with my permanent hip. I'm scared, confused and anxious. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Welcome @Grandma317 ! No wonder you are scared, confused, and anxious-- I would be too! You only have a little information as yet, and the OS can afford to be blasé about it because it's not him in your place, and he sees this often enough no doubt. I will pray with you that it's not in the hip!

I don't actually know what they would do if it were. The process you describe is about what I've read on here from people who get infections in their replacements. When is your aspiration? After the results from that come in, I'm sure a path forward will be laid out for you. Meanwhile, if you're like me, you're counting 14 days after every encounter with someone who isn't in your "quarantine circle", right? That in itself is nerve-wracking if I dwell on it. Not dwelling on things is a great philosophy, and in practise I am absolutely terrible at it

Keep reading around here, and know that whatever happens, at the end of it you should have a shiny new hip and those parts of your life you may be missing will be returned to you! Meanwhile, you will find much support here.

Your injury sounds exactly how mine played out, I broke my femur and after the surgery with pins the femur head died and caused me severe arthritis. I'm also scheduled for a hip replacement in July. Sorry I don't have any advise for you because I haven't undergone my surgery yet but you have found the right place, some one should be around shortly to provide you with a lot of very helpful information.

Hello @Grandma317 - and :welome:

I'm sorry to read you've been having such a bad time.

At this point, we can't tell you what you surgeon will do if the aspiration results how you have infection in your hip. This is something you should discuss with your surgeon when you go for the aspiration.
Do you have an appointment for the aspiration?

Of course you’re scared and all that goes with it. The not knowing is the worst part because your mind is plenty creative at filling in the vacuum. Lol. You need to be asking your OS LOTS of questions. Write them down if you have to. Remember it’s fairly routine for them and they sometimes forget it’s all new to you. My OS always asks “do you have any questions?” The first time he did, I didn’t know enough about anything to even know what to ask! Maybe I should have said that! Lol. I so hope you don’t have an infection. There are some members here who have had to deal with that. Maybe one of the moderators or advisors can link you up to their threads. You can also do a search at the top of the page for “infection” or similar. Know we will support you in any way we can. Keep us posted.

I am very sorry that you are going through this but you have found this site which is great. Lots of support here. We may not have the answers to your specific questions right now but there is a lot of information here. Once your OS does the aspiration and has a better idea of what the plan will be for you it will help you make plans for your recovery or recoveries. There are some people here that have gone through multi stage surgeries as you describe due to infections. Please start making a list for your surgeon to ask and also feel free to ask more questions here.

My OS always asks “do you have any questions?” The first time he did, I didn’t know enough about anything to even know what to ask! Maybe I should have said that! Lol.

That is exactly what I say when I don't know what I din't know. It works!

Thanks for all of your support and responses. I am waiting to hear when my aspiration will be
scheduled, I was hoping for this week but doesn't look like that is going to happen. If the
aspiration doesn't show infection in my hip (praying hard for this) now I'm wondering wherever
there is infection in my body if that will be a factor in having surgery, that doesn't seem safe
to me. I'm a worrier and a thinker :thud:

I‘m sorry you’re going through the mental anguish over what could be. Hopefully infection is ruled out through the aspiration. If it’s confirmed you do have an infection, please know there have been many here who’ve triumphed over this set-back. While it’s not an ideal situation and can be lengthy in duration, if need be, you will get through it and we will be here to support you as needed. I hope the procedure is scheduled soon so you can focus on next steps.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you wait.
@Grandma317

I finally have an appt scheduled for my hip aspiration on July 2nd. Was surprised to hear I will
be in the hospital for 2 hours. I also have been looking at chairs that I can sit in after surgery. I asked my surgeon about recliners and he said absolutely not. So I am looking at purchasing a tall hip
chair. So I guess I sit in the chair or stay in the bed. What do you guys sit in after surgery? Still feeling really anxious about the results of the
aspiration and wondering if I can handle two surgeries within a 3 month period. I know I'm
getting ahead of myself but it just stays on my mind.

I had no restriction on using a recliner and I honestly don’t know how I would have recovered without it. Being in bed or on the sofa wouldn’t have been comfortable for long. I could understand with a fracture but after THR? You might want to clarify that with him. Anyway. When I sat on a regular chair or in the car, I used a wedge cushion as I needed to keep hips higher than knees. I still use one most of the time as it is just more comfortable. My husband even confiscated one to use on his office chair because it was more comfortable. Lol. Perhaps those who have dealt with fractures or AVN and then to THR might have some insight here. Crossing everything possible for good results when you get your aspiration done. ❤️

I had no seating restrictions post THR. I didn't want a recliner and had noplace to put one anyway. I spent time on my ancient Ikea wood-frame couch, and an even more ancient comfy sort of "farmhouse" style chair. Both pieces of furniture had and still have custom foam seating. I tied several cushions to a kitchen stepstool for my elevation. On the couch, I had a nice big wedge for elevating while reclining and snoozing. The only time in bed was night time, although that was not always the best sleep.

You may not have to buy a special chair-- for my mom's partial replacement, we found some wooden blocks to safely and sturdily elevate her armchair for her. People here have gotten very inventive when it comes to raising furniture.

Surprising to hear about no recliner since like many I used mine including for sleeping for the first few days to few weeks. Whatever you sit on for any length of time, figure out now how to elevate your legs some so that you can reduce swelling. Also, make sure it is comfortable enough to fit ice packs along with you and is soft. For many reasons I was not comfortable sitting on a hard chair for a few weeks. Actually used a 2 inch foam cushion around. I also used this to elevate the easy chair seat for when I wanted a change of sitting arrangements. You have some time to try different scenarios now pretending you cannot move well and see what works for you.

The only time I spent in bed after my THR was at night to sleep. The rest of the sitting time was on the couch. My couch had the footrest that went up and each end section also reclined, same as a recliner chair, so it worked well to elevate my operated leg. I agree with the others that you need to start a list of questions and include one to clarify about the recliner. I hope the aspiration goes well with no infection showing up.

Thanks for the input on the recliner. I used mine while recovery from my femur fracture. The thing is to get out of the recliner you have to bend forward therefore not being able to keep hips in the right position. I can’t just stand straight up from sitting in my recliner I have to lean forward and push up which puts me in a wrong position. Also when I go to sit down it’s low so I’m bending again. Can you guys explain how you get in and out of the recliner correctly.

You might have three choices. Some people have someone build an elevated platform for their recliner. Others like me put a cushion on the seat - my recliner was not overly low. I had one upstairs that I could not use because it is extra low. The other thing I did was to slide myself forward to the end of the seat and push up with my arms on the arm rests without leaning forward and stand.

The third choice is to rent a recliner that actually stands you up. I think these are available from medical supply shops and they bring it in and set it up and will take it away . I would try the different options at home before surgery so you can practice and see what works for you.

I agree with @leejaa. It’s not unlike getting out of your bed. Cushion/pillow on recliner seat, move forward, walker in front of you, op leg forward, without leaning forward, push up with arms and with good leg (that is bent closer to recliner) move hands to walker as you stand up. Or you can put your hands on the walker first. I used one hand on the walker and one on the recliner to get the momentum started. This keeps you from going past a 90 degree angle with the op hip. PT will help you stand from the bed at the surgery facility. It is very similar. I like the idea of putting the recliner on a platform to raise it. I just got to the forum party too late. Lol. The extra cushion worked well, though. It is nice you have time to investigate and practice ahead of time. Good luck! ❤️

I fully recommend renting an electric lift chair, it does the lifting for you and is so very comfortable.
You can usually find them at a home health supply store.
so sorry you are worrying so. :console2:

I had my hip aspiration done a week ago and it was not painful at all. I see my OS Monday and will get the results then, fingers crossed no infection. I’m scheduled next week also for my CT Scan of the hip for the robotic surgery. Right now though in my area they have cut back on elective surgeries so I guess it’s a wait and see if it will still be on the 29th.they did ask me if I wanted to come home same day as surgery and I said no, I think I need to spend at least one night in the hospital. I live alone but my son is staying with me for a couple of weeks and I don’t think it would be fair or comfortable for him (or me) to come home same day as surgery. I’m still considering purchasing a lift recliner chair even though OS said no recliner, I’m going to ask him again on Monday. Maybe when I tell him it will be a lift recliner he will agree. Either way I read that a lot of you use recliners and do fine. I’ll report back after my dr visit on Monday.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back