THR Surgery rescheduled for August 19

Hi @Grandma317
Prayers your aspiration shows no sign of infection. I think spending one night in the hospital is wise for the reasons you mentioned.

Curious as to why your surgeon is discouraging the use of a lift recliner?
While a recliner isn't a necessary recovery item, It is difficult for me to imagine my recovery without mine. It was not only comfortable, but convenient for the assistance it offered at a time when getting out of a chair can feel like a challenge.

I loved mine for its wide range of positions to relax in. If you purchase, rent, or borrow one that doesn’t offer the lift capability, you may need to make the recliner sit a bit higher and that can easily be done with a simple wood platform or blocks.

Reclining with your feet above heart level, toes above nose, allows gravity to naturally reduce inflammation, boosting circulation and aiding in recovery. I viewed it as a win, WIN!

Wishing you comfort and a nice weekend. Will look forward to your update next week. :prayer:

I agree with the overnight stay. I would not have wanted my husband subjected to that first night I experienced of getting pain controlled. I could relax more letting the nurses do what they do best. They didn’t lose sleep when I would have to go to the bathroom every 2 hours or get upset when I would cry out when I moved, or if I just plain cried. It’s all new to you but not to them. No reason to stress out our loved ones!
I’m still not sure why your OS doesn’t want you in a recliner. I just made sure I had a cushion or pillow to raise my hips up so as not to break any precautions. I wasn’t close to the 90 degree angle much in it anyway, if at all, and it was so much more comfortable than many other options. Blessings that the culture result is a good one. Will be anxious to hear.

Hoping for best news on the culture! And the whole elective-surgery thing. That's stressful, not knowing.

I too would hate to come home the same day as my surgery! :flabber: I am just a tad anxiety-prone, and it was very comforting to know that the nurses were right there! Worth losing sleep for.

31 years ago I had a hysterectomy the old fashioned way, and got three extra nights in the hospital because I was offered them! I think nowadays I'd not want to spend 5 nights in hospital, but I don't have babies at home, either:heehee:

I finally got the results of hip aspiration and there is no infection, yay!!! Got my CT scan yesterday for the robotic surgery. I also splurged yesterday and purchased an electric lift chair, I tried it out in the store and I know it’s going to be great for my recovery. Now it’s just wait and see on surgery, due to COVID all elective surgeries are postponed until whenever. We’re having a big spike here so it’s what I expected. My pain is bearable just using tylenol and heating pad.

Glad there's no infection! I'm scheduled for the 30th and the county my hospital is located in has a surge of Covid. They called today to arrange a test for me next Friday which is a new requirement. I wish you the best.

I am so sorry you are delayed. Waiting is always the hardest part. I see that you wrote that Tylenol and a heating pad are of help. I hope this continues for you during the wait. Crossing my fingers for you that they get your area under control and elective surgeries become available again safely.

I mentioned in my last post my pain was bearable, and the pain moves around from down the side of my thigh, down the front of my thigh, glutes sore, and I could go on. I’m especially having more severe and pretty much constant pain in my groin.
I’ve had that pain a long time but it has gotten worse. Is this normal and to be expected? As I mentioned I use heating pad all night but I’m worried maybe something has changed. I’m also worried if since the head of my femur died is the rest of my femur ok? I do a lot of thinking since I don’t go out due to COVID and our numbers keep going up daily, I won’t be having surgery anytime soon. Also should I be doing exercises? Because right now I pretty much sit all day since it hurts to move around very much. I guess I’m feeling a little sorry for myself :what:

Of course you are feeling sorry for yourself and it is OK. You are in pain and cannot get the resolution you know is waiting. My last hip was like yours with the pain all over the leg. Groin pain was my constant companion with both of my hips pre operatively as well as inability to pick the foot up to step on a stair or put on socks. I used a sock aid for many months pre surgery when I needed to put any on. Like you I had pain in buttocks, thigh area, knee and down the leg to the ankle. The pain would get worse as the day progressed even though I did not do much and could not do much due to pain.

Please do not try to exercise with your hip hurting as much as it is unless you do some upper arm exercises seated. The exercise will not help when the hip needs replacing and will hurt. I actually did PT before my first hip was replaced because no one realized it was so bad and they thought it was my lower back. It did not help and only made me hurt more.

Being home bound due to Covid does not help as we do tend to think a lot. If you are so worried about the rest of your femur, call your surgeon and ask what he sees on your x-rays or other imaging studies if you had any done. I would not think that he would be replacing your hip if the rest of the femur was not viable for the procedure but he is your doctor so call and calm yourself. You are right, with the numbers rising it might take a bit to be scheduled and there is no reason to add to your stress by worry if a phone call will help.

@Grandma317 my groin pain was the one constant. I didn't have any previous complications that I knew of, but it did keep getting worse. You sound worried enough that you might want to give your OS a call. They've ruled out infection (YAY!!!), so you're pretty certain it's not that.

And of course, we've all noticed that pain is worse when we have nothing to distract us, such as "life as it used to be before 2020". Wish I had help for you! I'm feeling pretty isolated myself-- at least I have Mr ZF to grump at :snork:

Hello @Grandma317
Sorry to read of your constant pain and wishing you some relief as you await surgery.
Just double checking here so we can edit the surgery date on your signature if need be, is your surgery still OFF for tomorrow, July 29th? Please let us know.
I hope you have a peaceful day.

Yes surgery has been postponed due to COVID.
My pain varies from one area to another but mostly my groin and down the thigh. I’m waking up several times during the night so I find myself napping during day although I try to keep that from happening. Just sitting around all day makes me feel guilty knowing there are things around the house I could be doing but I’m hurting just enough to keep me from moving around. I’ve even caught myself saying “I don’t care” or “nothing matters” and that’s really not me. Oh well I give myself a pep talk and wait for that phone call telling me it’s time for surgery. Thanks for checking in.

@Grandma317 , do not feel guilty as hip pain, I found, to be more debilitating and limiting than my knees and they hurt for many years longer. I had a 6m wait for surgery pre Covid and did not do much during that time since everything hurt.

I hope you get a surgery date soon but continue babying that hip as much as possible. I did use a heating pad ( others have used ice) and moved it around my buttock area, hip and down the leg in the evenings. It did not fix anything but seemed to relax the back and leg a bit. It was also comforting.

I am so sorry for your delay. Pain like you are dealing with along with the sleep deprivation will wreak havoc on your body and your emotions. As my OS said: it changes your whole personality. I have to give my husband so much credit for not wanting to run screaming from the house when I was around. I know I was not pleasant to be around as I pushed to work 3, 12 hour shifts on that hip having to spend the next 4 days recovering to just start over. Nothing got done and yes, I didn’t care. I couldn’t help it. I think my brain went into survival mode. So don’t beat yourself up. We’ve been there. Also, don’t feel guilty if you need to ask for something for pain relief to try and get a little sleep. I just pray you get a new date sooner rather than later. In the meantime do whatever you need to do (or not do) to get to that date. Keep us informed. We’re here if you need us. ❤️

Oh gosh.. I am so sorry about your surgery getting postponed. I'm sure we all had hoped we would be past the Covid delays.. sigh.
Please be kind to yourself and do what you can to make your life easier while you wait. Ice was my best friend while waiting for my surgery date to arrive..

:console2:

Just sitting around all day makes me feel guilty knowing there are things around the house I could be doing but I’m hurting just enough to keep me from moving around.

I‘m really sorry to read this news. Please provide a new date once your surgery is rescheduled and we’ll add it to your signature. Try to let go of the guilt. It’s out of your hands. You had a date scheduled, it was canceled due to circumstances beyond your control. It’s not your fault.

Feeling a bit down is a normal reaction when you were so close to surgery then suddenly it’s canceled. Hopefully the wait won’t be long. Try to focus on that and all you’ll be able to do once the pain is no longer holding you back. Wishing you comfort as you wait for your new date and the relief surgery will bring.

My surgery is now back on the schedule for August 19th. I’m glad I can finally get this done because my pain has really gotten bad. I’m hurting from my waist down to my knee and everywhere in between. Not sleeping well at all. However my anxiety and nerves are creeping in and I’m hoping that my OS doesn’t find anything different than what he said was wrong initially when he first diagnosed me. I guess I’m worried about that because my pain doesn’t really feel like it’s in my hip (just a little sore) but my thigh down-to my knee
and my groin down the inside of my thigh. My back hurts, butt hurts and standing up is hard. Are these muscle pains or bone pain, I’m just worried.
Also concerned about having to have PT and or home nurse visit me when I leave the hospital due to COVID, but I know that’s got to happen. Just one more thing to worry over, and I worry a lot .

We do tend to worry when there is so much out of our hands. I am glad your date is quite near even if not near enough. I had pain lower back, buttock, groin so that I could not bring foot up on stair or put socks on as well as extending to the knee and down the leg to my ankle. I started to worry about my knee which had been replaced. I am a worrier also. Sleep was episodic at best. All that pain was from my hip. Right after surgery my lower back, thigh, knee and lower leg were fine and the groin pain was gone also. Standing from sitting was awful before surgery and getting in and out of the car totally miserable and I had to lift my leg in manually and could bring me to tears at times.

The nurse visit is a necessity but you have a choice on the PT if you are really worried. You might not want to have PT at all as many on here have done but that is strictly up to you and how you feel about it. My home PT (before Covid) was one of the good ones who did not push but showed me some moves and checked on how I was doing walking and moving around. With total hips walking is the best exercise and not a lot at first.

Try to take some deep breaths and dream of all you will be able to do once that nasty hip pain is gone.

It’s just crazy how many places we can hurt from our hip. Those muscles and tendons that pretty much connect everything to everything in the hip area have to compensate for that hip to keep us moving around. I can’t even limp like that now even if I try. What amazing machines are bodies are. I’m also amazed at the technology that can actually replace one of our worn out, painful parts and it works as close to the original as one could imagine.
You are in control of the nurse and PT visit. See that the nurse follows your house rules and follows all the precautions that you expect. I’m sure she will but don’t be afraid to speak up. The thing about PT is, you can always do it later if you’re having issues down the road. My OS did not recommend PT but I knew I could always do it later if I needed it. I didn’t. I just gradually walked myself well. Glad you have a date. Less than 2 weeks to no more joint pain. That is good.

Surgery is still on for Wednesday the 19th. I saw my OS this morning for pre-surgery appt. He answered questions I had and it bothered me some that he said my surgery was not a normal one due to the fractured femur from 2 years ago but he didn’t expect a problem. Also still a little concern about infection because blood work still wasn’t perfect but my aspiration showed no infection. He said my incision would be larger than from my femur fracture so I wasn’t expecting that but it makes sense. Bandage stays on for one week then I guess I’ll see him again? I should have asked. So I’m trying to stay calm and relax today and tomorrow. I’m as ready as I’ll ever

Sounds like a good visit. You can always call the office tomorrow and ask any other questions that pop up. I did not see my surgeon till 1 month but had home health nurse and she removed bandage and staples so life was good. No extra travel and I was taken care of.

Wishing you the best surgery with great outcome. Sending positive vibes your way.:flwrysmile: I hope we see you on the recovery pages once you are feeling up to posting.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back