Reverse Shoulder Replacement Surgery Replacement

I do not have first hand experience with shoulder replacement. Members who have had TSR will be Able to answer those questions.

I'll be looking out to see how you get on, @Grumpster .

I'm waiting to have a reverse shoulder replacement too, but they tell me it probably won't be until January 2021. Apparently, my rotator cuff has deteriorated and my surgeon thinks it won't support a standard shoulder replacement.

Celle, I have the same issue with my rotator cuff. In a way I was fortunate that I tore my rotator cuff. The MRI and CT Scan revealed a huge bone cyst that was destroying my scapula and humeral head.

I will be happy to share my experiences. The procedure is made somewhat more difficult because it is not done as often as a standard replacement.

My surgeon's instructions for what to do after a reverse shoulder replacement are very similar to his instructions for a standard replacement, so I'm hoping the recovery process will be similar.

I was told that one generally has a better outcome with a standard shoulder replacement because functionally you retain the use of your rotator cuff. My doctor thought that I was a candidate for an standard replacement prior to my getting a CT Scan, so I was disappointed when I heard I would need a reverse shoulder replacement.

In my case, part of my scapula must be removed and reconstructed due to a very large bone cyst. So, I guess I am lucky that was discovered before the scapula was too far gone.

My rotator cuff tear was small, and may have been repairable if I were able to have a standard procedure. However, my doctor thought with the other issues that the repaired rotator cuff would not hold up. I did ask the doctor to repair my rotator cuff even though I am getting a reverse replacement, because I would retain a little more strength. I just want the best outcome possible.

Last edited:
I just want the best outcome possible.
Me too!
My surgeon told me that he could do a standard shoulder replacement, but if he did he would have to go back the following year to do a reverse, because my rotator cuff wouldn't be able to support the standard replacement.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom