ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

Reverse Shoulder Replacement Surgery Replacement

Pumpkln

Country
United States United States
I do not have first hand experience with shoulder replacement. Members who have had TSR will be Able to answer those questions.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I'll be looking out to see how you get on, @Grumpster .

I'm waiting to have a reverse shoulder replacement too, but they tell me it probably won't be until January 2021. Apparently, my rotator cuff has deteriorated and my surgeon thinks it won't support a standard shoulder replacement.

OP
OP
Grumpster

Grumpster

Country
Celle, I have the same issue with my rotator cuff. In a way I was fortunate that I tore my rotator cuff. The MRI and CT Scan revealed a huge bone cyst that was destroying my scapula and humeral head.

I will be happy to share my experiences. The procedure is made somewhat more difficult because it is not done as often as a standard replacement.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
My surgeon's instructions for what to do after a reverse shoulder replacement are very similar to his instructions for a standard replacement, so I'm hoping the recovery process will be similar.

OP
OP
Grumpster

Grumpster

Country
I was told that one generally has a better outcome with a standard shoulder replacement because functionally you retain the use of your rotator cuff. My doctor thought that I was a candidate for an standard replacement prior to my getting a CT Scan, so I was disappointed when I heard I would need a reverse shoulder replacement.

In my case, part of my scapula must be removed and reconstructed due to a very large bone cyst. So, I guess I am lucky that was discovered before the scapula was too far gone.

My rotator cuff tear was small, and may have been repairable if I were able to have a standard procedure. However, my doctor thought with the other issues that the repaired rotator cuff would not hold up. I did ask the doctor to repair my rotator cuff even though I am getting a reverse replacement, because I would retain a little more strength. I just want the best outcome possible.

Last edited:

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I just want the best outcome possible.
Me too!
My surgeon told me that he could do a standard shoulder replacement, but if he did he would have to go back the following year to do a reverse, because my rotator cuff wouldn't be able to support the standard replacement.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kevmo
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom