Surgery refused as knees won't straighten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again, Jo, and other interested parties.

My sister has now explained everything to Mum and she agrees to asking for a second opinion.

Now it looks as though we have another problem..

The hospitals you mentioned in the North and North East are all difficult for travelling and Mum would have nowhere to stay with any of them, so I've contacted my knee surgeon in Chertsey, where at least Mum would have somewhere to stay.

The wait for an NHS appointment would be 6 to 7 weeks from receipt of the referral from the GP, BUT.. then the consultant would need an MRI scan and Mum would have to travel back 5 to 6 weeks later for that. After that she'd need to reschedule another appointment with the surgeon and then - if surgery is recommended, she'd have to go on the waiting list and then go back again for an operation. This will mean travelling back and forth at least 4 times and we're probably looking at at least 6 months for all of this.

None of the doctors at Furness General offered Mum an MRI scan. They made the decision to refuse surgery on the basis of X-rays alone.

Jo, Do you know of any way Mum could get the MRI scan done at Furness General or somewhere local to her, so she would only need 2 journeys in the future? Can the GP say she needs an MRI scan?

I have thought about seeing if we could pay for a private consultation, but we can't afford to pay for a private MRI scan, so there is no point in doing anything privately. Also Mum would still need to have the initial NHS appointment, so a private appointment would be of no use.

Should we be making complaints about Mum's treatment history? It's the whole 15 years of getting fobbed off with 2nd best treatments that is so upsetting. Can we get anything moving by complaining?... or do you think this would just make things worse? In general, I know that we have a brilliant, although somewhat overburdened, National Health Service so it just doesn't seem right to complain.

Thanks again for your time and attention.

Hazel, Kay (Sister) and Beryl (Mum)

Who's your surgeon in Chertsey? Do you know his credentials? Which hospital and I'll check it out for you.

Yes, you can get your MRI done locally - if you're going NHS. Just tell the surgeon which hospital you want it done at and they should be able to arrange it. They do take travelling into account most of the time.

It gets a bit complicated when you're having private consultations but want NHS investigations - it often can't be done. Also, even if you did try to get a private appointment, it's likely you'd have to wait 2-3 months for that anyway. Gone are the days when we could get to see the chaps within a few days. Some top chaps you'd wait 6 months to see! So it's no different than if you saw him as an NHS patient and then you would have no trouble arranging MRI scans and stuff locally.

As for making complaints - problem here is that you'd be complaining about a surgeon's opinion and that's one thing the administrators won't dally with. They'd probably just write back and say it was his 'considered professional opinion' and that would be that. I wouldn't waste your time. It certainly wouldn't get anything moving because she wouldn't want to see him again anyway, would she?

The problem you had here is probably a generalist orthopaedic surgeon who's not kept himself up to date. You find that a lot in provincial hospitals.

Hazel, I'm sorry to hear that you have more stumbling blocks. But keep trying. Your wonderful mum is worth it and I know something will work out for you eventually. Jo will always be here to help....don't give up!!!

Thanks again for your reply, Jo,

My Surgeon in Chertsey, who has done 2 operations on me (privately), is Mr Elliott. I had my operations at the Runnymede Hospital but he also works at St. Peter's for his NHS patients. He has a great reputation, I understand, and I even came back from abroad for his opinion, last year.

I'm glad you think the MRI could be done locally. I will ask Mr Elliot if he can recommend it for Mum, in advance of seeing her on the NHS. Also glad you think they would take travelling into account.

The complaints would not be about the opinion of the surgeon. They would be about the 12 months wait for an appointment last year, and about the 13 years Mum was kept on steroids that has added to her troubles.

Thanks again

Hazel

i know someone whose legs were so bent he could hardly walk at all and he was late seventies , he had both knees done one after the other in the U.K. so i would say get asecond opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back