THR Surgery put on hold

Mythmomma

Country
Canada Canada
I have bilateral moderate/severe osteoarthritis in my hips. I also have large osteophytes in both and a past labral tear. After consultation with surgeon she would like to put off surgery for 2 years. She considers me too young at 51. I am also to lose 20 Lbs.
I am being scheduled for steroid injections next month. Have people found this helpful? Feeling overwhelmed at the thought of waiting so long. I can no longer take an anti inflammatory due to stomach issues.
Any other ideas to get through this would be appreciated

@Mythmomma Welcome to BoneSmart :welome: I am sorry to hear you are dealing with this right now. I'd suggest finding a different surgeon - one who is more up to date! We have people here at BoneSmart who are in their 40s, 30s, 20s and even a few in their teens who have gotten hip replacements. 51 is NOT too young for a hip replacement! The current implants are expected to last for 30+ years and some of the old style implants have lasted and functioned well for over 40 years.

Will steroid shots help? Maybe - it depends on many factors. It won't hurt to get one and see if it does help --- but it will only buy you a little time and will not cure the damage already evident in your hips.

Best of luck to you and do keep us informed of how things are going for you!

@Mythmomma I’m sorry that your surgeon isn’t on board with your surgery sooner. My OS said it’s up to me if I wanted to have surgery now or wait. Im 44 with young kids and I didn’t want to wait to start enjoying my life, and accepted there’s a chance I might need one or more revisions. I had one steroid injection - it did make a significant difference in my pain levels. I can turn in bed without debilitating pain and can put my pants on while standing up now. I still get throbbing and shooting pains from standing/walking for too long. And usually start limping at some point during the day even with Tylenol and Advil. I navigate stair toddler style - which is challenging because we live in a 3 story home. For these reasons I chose to proceed with surgery rather than continuing with injections, especially since I had read that the relief from injections can be inconsistent and sometimes wear off quickly. It is definitely a personal decision, you could ask to be put on the wait list for surgery and also try the injections in the interim. Or get a second or third opinion from a different surgeon. Losing weight will definitely help for recovery but it’s difficult to do when you’re in pain. And does the doc have any suggestions for pain management for 2 years if you can’t take anti-inflammatories?

I am 52 and THRsurgery is tomorrow. I am overweight too, but it’s very hard to lose especially when walking is difficult. Hip injection helped me for 2-3 weeks. My hope is once I am more active it will be easier to drop some weight. Good luck to you!

@Mythmomma 51 is NOT too young! I’m 1 week post op THR at 34 yrs old and I can already tell it was an awesome decision! I’m active but considered overweight! I could barely put a sock on or tie the shoe of my left foot without incredible pain and I have 3 little ones who depend on me to run around and play and my wife to be there for her and a physical job! My first surgeon said wait 10-15 years and lose 20-25lbd and then we will talk about surgery! I got a second opinion and just didn’t click with the surgeon and so I got a third and he was on board with what I wanted/needed and he supported it all the way! At the end of the day, it’s your decision and you will have to live with whatever decision you make! If injections are what you choose now I hope they provide the relief your looking for! If your not sure about it, you might want to get a second opinion and/or 3rd :heehee:

Hello and welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us. I’m sorry you’re struggling with pain. It’s miserable. You’re not too young to have your hip replaced, but you are too young to be living with pain. Please find a surgeon who is willing to perform the surgery you need to begin living a pain free life again. Wishing you comfort and success in finding a good surgeon soon.
@Mythmomma

I am 52 and THRsurgery is tomorrow. I am overweight too, but it’s very hard to lose especially when walking is difficult. Hip injection helped me for 2-3 weeks. My hope is once I am more active it will be easier to drop some weight. Good luck to you!
Praying for you! We both have ours tomorrow. We’ve got this! Please get some rest!

Welcome to BoneSmart @Mythmomma! :flwrysmile: I will leave you our pre-THR guidelines. Pay particular attention to the article "Score Chart: How Bad is my arthritic hip? It might be worth taking it to the doctor with you if you seek a second opinion.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Just wanted to say “hello” and I hope your surgery went well!

Thank you for all of your replies. The surgeon says she will review one month after my injections. Still waiting for the clinic to call to schedule.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks