• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Surgery prep recommendations???

TXStarfish

Country
United States United States
Hello! I have an appointment with my surgeon on January 7th to begin the insurance approval process for RTKR. I've already started a list of questions to ask him, and started a list of things to do/buy to prepare for surgery and recovery. BUT, y'all are the experts, so I want to know what suggestions you have. I've been staying with my elderly parents to help them out and take care of them, and will go there after surgery so I am not alone. However, they won't be able to help me much. But, they do have elevated toilet seats, bars in the bathroom, a bath bench, and hardwood floors for my Mom's walker SO all that is better than going to my own home alone. I plan to buy a recliner, but it's so hard to find one that is not a rocking recliner. Has anyone used a rocking recliner successfully post-op?
Thank you for any advice you share!!!

Helizabug

senior
Country
Pretty soon, wiser people than I will post some information and links to articles that should be quite helpful. This is a great site with wonderful people sharing great ideas and experiences, well-moderated by people with expertise.

Here’s what I can offer from my experience.

I stuck a bunch of things in my Amazon cart, then didn’t buy any of them. I was sent home from the hospital with everything I needed.

Some people swear by a special pillow for elevating your leg, and you can find out about it in the series of articles that a more experienced BoneSmart person will post for you pretty soon. I’ve been happy with extra pillows, myself.

Many of us swear by a machine that pumps ice-chilled water around your knee. I woke up from surgery with one, called a Polar-Care Cube, and was sent home with it. It’s lightyears ahead of ice packs because it provides six hours or so of continuous icing. If you aren’t going home with one from the surgery, it’s well worth buying.

Before my surgery, I had to attend an educational session at the hospital, and that’s where I learned what they would provide. Maybe your surgeon or hospital can give you a heads up now so you don’t have to worry.

Finally, I’ve found layers of blankets to be very helpful as my body temperature has fluctuated a lot during healing. Oh, and a bag with handles to carry stuff when my hands were full with crutches. I’m on one crutch now, sometimes none, so that’s easier, these days; but the bag was key when I was on two.

Hope that’s helpful and holds you over until the experts stop by and post more helpful info.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You may find the rocking recliner is not great for the first couple of weeks, but I used mine (with a slight rock to it) after that with no problem. But I mostly elevated on the bed initially. I'd move to the chair for a change of scene. Also you will probably want an extra pillow to put lengthwise under your leg for elevating in a recliner as the generally won't get your leg high enough.

InkedMarie

graduate
Country
Drugs! Find out what your surgeon is sending you home with. Ask what the dosage is. Then, do the math. Say its 1-2 every 4-6 hours. If you use the max, 2 every 4 hours, how many days will the script last? Ask about refills. How do you get them? Does his office call it in, fax it in or do you have to pick up at his office? How many refills will you get? What OTC meds can you use with your script meds?

when you call for a refill, call at least two or three days before you will run out.

Nausea: if you get nauseous, ask for an anti nausea script as well.

Ask if your going home meds can be filled at the hospital. My surgeon offered this and it was so helpful to have them brought right to my room!

Tmgrl3

Country
Good suggestions so far. I couldn’t use my recliner almost at all for first few months because by evening I had such bad radiculopathy in legs and feet from nerve bundles that run from spine down through legs. No special pillows to elevate either, and slept with soft thin pillow between my legs at night so I could go to partial side. I had a bilateral knee done so I had no “good” side to sleep on.

My icing was simple but frequent. The best ice packs were the CVS Pharmacy soft gel packs that flapped over each knee while I sat in my cub chair with ottoman...so legs straight out and flapped ice pack over tape of each knee and then bought a wrap , long and about 4 inches wide (it actually had a place for its own ice pack which was too stiff to use for knees, but the long wrap with go around my knees at least twice and then the Velcro held them in place. Did that three times a day minimum . Now nine months out, no ice at all but I was diligent about icing every night before bedtime for 8 months. I barely I know I had a double knee replacement done now and I am 77 years old.

Also, although I stopped my Tramadol for pain 4 weeks out, and although I was only using half the max daily dose, I had to go back on it just at night two months later since my sleep was so disrupted by waking up from level 5 or 6 pain, tolerable but sleep disrupted.

Also, I had commodes on our toilets but for the first 4 weeks I left one big one right by my bedside so I could just use it to pull to standing, transfer and same going back to bed.

I didn’t have PT for long since I did the simple early exercises at home regularly, the standing ones and some lying down to work all the leg muscles. I got rid of the walker almost from the start and was on a cane as early as possible. I did have to use the walker at home initially but it was a nuisance in our small master bathroom.

Shower chair a must.

I have three commodes from various surgeries in past from my husband before this one and from my hip replacement. I think Medicare allows one or more pieces of durable medical equipment per operation.

Good recs from InkedMarie about meds. I can’t tolerate any narcotics...so no oxy , no PCA in hospita...just two shots of dilaudid in first 3 days and then on tramadol 50 mg three times a day. Some pain tells us if we do too much and to rest. Also, I had a huge loss of appetite and some depression that lasted several months, but I knew it was related to the whole process so I made sure I ate three small meals a day of healthy foods. It passed. Some nausea too. But not that I needed anti nausea meds which I always have at home.

Best to you!! So worth doing.

Lefty57

Country
Raised toilet, I bought reuseable ice pack on E-Bay they were 11x 14 worked really well, cheap also

Country
Yoga strap with buckle at Amazon (Tumaz brand in a wide variety of colors) great for hoisting leg on an off bed or repositioning initially. Cost more if you purchase the similar PT strap. Under $8 if Yoga version.

Last edited:

Tykey

big-cheese
I just used an old towel which I borrowed from the dogs, or a belt from my trousers (pants).

Country
There are many work arounds indeed. For example instead of purchasing this expensive knee glide thing:
I used a recycled 11 X 14 or large thick plastic bubble envelop (the kind you get from things ordered in the mail) and put my foot on that and slid it back and forth. Worked great over nearly $90 for the device. Provided perfect slide upon carpet or floor with a bit of padding when my knee was tender!

Country
Here's an item for purchase: Huggies brand natural baby wipes! Nice! Not just for babies bottoms, they are great for a refreshing face, neck and body when your spending alot of time in bed.

Same ingredients found in these as those fancy make up remover wipes. Half the price. Tub makes for easy access. Add some witch hazel or alcohol for more refreshing. Great deal big tub size!

Last edited:
Country
Some products are just dumb. I purchased the sock thing too and only used it a few times but I'll hold on to it as when I needed it I REALLY DID. Also the long-handled grabber thing - a keeper!

Starsfan22

Country
Floor pedal if you don't own a stationary bike. Cheap alternative. You won't need it at first but I still use mine twice a day 5 months out.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Tykey - nice to see you mate!
I just put a plastic bag over my foot to do the heel slides.
Better yet, I never did any heel slides or any other exercises. I was, however, pretty active around the house and stairs and achieved about 125 degrees of flexion at 6 weeks!

As you can see from my signature, this was my third TKR and I did the same with both primaries!

Tykey

big-cheese
..and Josephine, you made me realise I didn't do heel slides with my recent TKR, whereas I did them religiously for my first one.
The outcome had been identical. Same hospital, same surgeon, so that's a bona fide scientific study

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mog
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom