TKR Surgery over now what

Nothing better than getting home from work and doing some light PT and then putting the ice machine on. It felt so good. I've iced 2 more times since then. Today is a sore day.

Thanks for all the comments. I know I still have 42 more weeks before my year is up. Just got to work on the depression-I might have to go back to therapy for a bit and work some things out. Every time I think I get some things settled in my mind something tends to bring back some of the bad parts of the last 12 years. Too many things have happened, think I may have a bit pf PTSD with all the hard things that have happened. Divorce, lying, and trying to steal from me. Sick dogs and Mothers with dementia. Only child so had to deal with my Mom and all the things that go with the long 3 years before she finally passed away. Surgeries, job changes, moving. And probably the biggest blow of watching my son die. I keep seeing when they took the breathing tube out and watched as he slowly slipped away.

:console2: You have had a tough time but please try and be positive eventually there will be light at the end of your tunnel and soon you will be physically pain free then life hopefully will get better for you.
Sending virtual hugs to you and prayers :prayer:

You have been through so much. :console2: I hope that being part of Bonesmart is helpful to you.

Is it bad to still take an oxycodone every now an then. Last night my knee and hip were very achy and unhappy. I don't think I've taken one for 2 weeks but last night was just bad. Does anyone else have this issue and take the stronger stuff every now and then?

yes, especially if I have exercised and stretched and worked on ROM. If I have raw, nagging pain that Tylenol does't help, I'll take 1/2 an oxycodone.

It's perfectly OK to take a pain med in your recovery every once in a while as you need them. That's what they are for. You obviously aren't addicted since you're off of them except every so often. I saved some to take in my 6th month after hiking. Just remember to not drive or operate any dangerous equipment after taking one until you are sure it's out of your system.

That is A LOT of things that you have been through. But clearly you are a Warrior Princess and are an incredibly strong woman. Sending healing, loving vibes your way. You can do this. The sun is always there but sometimes we can't see it due to the clouds. Hang in there dear.

Yes, I am 12+ weeks out and find that I still take an occasional Oxy at night, maybe once of twice a week, especially after a particularly busy day! I may take a Tylenol or Aleve during the day as needed. It's ok. Some aches and pains are part of the recovery I have found.

My daughter said I can't play the knee card anymore. I told her I was so tired after working two days in a row Friday night I was exhausted. She said your far enough along you can't pull that card anymore. Why am I still so tired sometimes? It has been just over 12 weeks and I should be gaining strength and stamina. I'm glad I had this done but boy the recovery is hard. My knee has been hurting on the lateral side for the past week and one half. Going down stairs is still hard. Am I expecting too much too soon?

Am I expecting too much too soon?
Yes, and so is your daughter. I pulled that card for the whole first year, because that is the average length of this recovery.

At 12 weeks you are only 25% healed and it’s very normal to still feel the energy drain of healing.

Strength and stamina takes way more than 12 weeks, especially since you are back to work.

Yes. You still have recovery time for the knee, even if you're back to work. I returned to work at 7.5 weeks - partial cane as needed. I'm now at 12 weeks using my cane less (only about 30% in a given day now) but find I'm tired by the time Friday rolls around. When too exhausted, I still roll about my home a few minutes here/ there using my four-wheeler.

Then back to work less cane at work. It all balances out. I find I am strongest in the AM, falling off evenings. Sometimes walking with no implements almost forgetting I had a TKR. But when I need rest and a bit of help I listen to my body. It's ok to be very active, then less here and there depending on what knee continues to say, yet still, during recovery.

Last edited:
My daughter said I can't play the knee card anymore.
That sounds pretty disrespectful. Your daughter has no idea how your body feels. Send her to Bonesmart and let her read the recovery articles and many threads of those healing along the same time you are. Your daughter should be cooking you dinner on your work days instead of putting you down.

You are doing well, especially with working while only 1/4 of the way healed. Don't let anyone else tell you you're not.

Is our immune systems weaker while we are in recovery? I've caught a cold/seasonal allergies and have been coughing with a sore throat for the past week and 1/2. Just wondering about the immune system during this process.

Depression is still a daily thing.

Depression is still a daily thing for me too- it visits me intermittently through out the day. I try to acknowledge the emotion and feel the feeling and then it usually goes away for awhile. Then later in the day- I'm like- oh hey, it's you, your back. Ugh.

Has anyone had an issue with their insurance company not paying for all of your PT? My insurance coverage states PT 20 actual. I as well as most other people I have talked with feel that is 20 visits. My insurance Humana has deemed that to mean 20 services not visits. So when they taped my knee to get my quad firing again that was a service, any scar tissue work is a service. So instead of thinking I used 15 visits I have used over my 20 and they are charging me for the overage. I am filing a grievance because I feel their language is very vague and that they way they are looking at PT is wrong. Insurance companies are very willing to take your money and raise your rates yearly but trying to not pay for the services they are suppose to. As if life after TKR isn't difficult enough then you need to fight the insurance company

I've having some pain on the right side of my right knee. It is swollen and hurts when I get up or down. Not sure if there is an issue or if it is just part of the healing process. Still hurts to walk up the stairs a little and more pain in going down the steps. I'm icing at night and still sleeping on my side with a pillow inbetween It is making a bit of a clunking/clinking sound. Anyone else had this problem.

All perfectly normal things at your stage of recovery. All of us find it harder going down the steps than up the steps. It took me about 4 months before I could do it comfortably. It was a day of celebration when I finally did! You will get there, too. Don't worry about it, just enjoy and celebrate your successes.

I was suppose to see my OS tomorrow for a followup. Well with all that was happening it is now a teleconference. I really don't have much to talk about. Feeling pretty well, stiffness happens, going up and down the stairs is the most painful of anything I do. It isn't a horrible feeling but just a bit of pain. I still ice at night and when it gets swollen during the day. Working at home and quite bored, seems like I just got thru this Dec-Feb and have been working from home almost 2 weeks. I have taken a couple of social distance walks around the neighborhood. I run into joggers every now and then and I move into peoples yards to give the distance. The walks feel good but I do swell afterward. I expect it. So I guess I don't have much to tell him. I have had some problem sleeping but think it is stress and anxiety . I did have restless legs for a while did some research and found if you are B deficient this can be a symptom I have to take B shots every month and I haven't had one since the first part of Feb, not going to a Dr.s office at this point. so started taking a B vitamin pill and doing better.

All in all just keeping on keeping on.

Had my teleconference today with my OS-he is very pleased with both flexion and extension If someone wants to add to my signature I have a Smith & Nephew Legion Femur and a Genesis Tibia inplant. One is titanium and the other is ceramic. He said they will wear better. He said when he saw my movement that he couldn't ask for any better and the few issues like going up and down stairs and swelling was perfectly normal. He still ran late lol.

I'm happy all went well with your OS teleconference - it's great for your moral when we hear we're doing fine. Keep up your daily walks ( heal to toe )not only is it good for your knees but Also for your mental health too, just seeing people albeit at a distance shows us that we are not alone so make this a routine for yourself, my DH drags me every morning on a cross country hike we pass through little hamlets of houses and just saying "Bom Dia" to the elderly locals Is very uplifting to us and to them.
I have asked one of the moderators to add to your signature for you.
Stay safe xxx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member