Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Surgery over now what

OP
OP
G

ginr

Country
United States United States
I'm having issues with my extension it has been hovering at 3. I'm done with regular PT, doing exercises at home. Did other people have experience with that knee not wanting to straighten?

I overdid it this weekend trying to get my house in order-so Sat was a day I skipped exercises. First time since the end of Oct. but feeling better today. I get a massage tomorrow and am really looking forward to it.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Extension can take a while, and 3 is hardly far from 0, so don’t worry about it. Walking, though not too excess for your stage, is very good for extension. It will come along fine, try to be patient.

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Actually I've stopped measuring or thinking about my extension or Rom- I think as long as we are able to do our day to day stuff (unless you are planning on running a marathon) with time it will right itself, I find walking really helps my knee I try to do 1 hour easy walk with my dogs daily always concentrating on the heel to toe movement. Like you I have no formal PT and to be honest other than walking I don't really exercise at all xxx

OP
OP
G

ginr

Country
I got my massage today, she spent quite a while working on scar tissue around my knee. I usually only go once a month but I'm going again in two weeks for another round. Normally she wouldn't suggest it since we've been on a monthly schedule for several years so she must have felt it was necessary and while I was getting dressed I had decided to ask for a two week appointment. Great minds think alike. She told me to really ice tonight, I seem to anyway. It's back to work tomorrow, I'm finding I have no interest in work, being off made me enjoy not being in the routine rut. Still deciding when to retire. It is stressing me out so trying to put it aside for now. To much physical and emotional stuff to make a big decision right now.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
A certain amount of scar tissue is normal and necessary to heal your wound. Without it, you would have open sores. This scar tissue will take care of itself in its due process and not be an issue.

Too many people make too big a deal about scar tissue.

Another thing to consider, I read this that one of our other advisors wrote:

“Many members think PT is needed to alleviate tightness. Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.”

OP
OP
G

ginr

Country
This is actually the second full week back, I am only working 3 days a week. Just can't seem to get my groove back in work.

The scar tissue issue was it was making it harder to walk, apparently it was forming around the top part of the implant. They noticed it at PT and when she was massaging she noticed it. I find it easier to walk today. I tend to scar when I have surgery. I had breast reduction and had open wounds for 3 months and a lot of scarring along the bottom incision, along with fat necrosis. So I am worried about any kind of surgery going the same way.

Macknit

graduate
Country
I'm several months ahead of you (and a few years!!) I can definitely relate to the ready to retire thought process. My time off for recovery definitely helped me set up a timeline. I now know I can make it until January 2021!! (This is a second career and at that date my retirement will be fully vested!)

I returned to work at the 6 week point half-time, then I went back full-time at 8 weeks, all of that was way-y-y-y too soon. I definitely didn't have much of a groove back for a good 4 months!! I had a spine surgery 2 months before the TKR and I think it just takes time for the body to get it's stamina back!

I still struggle with swelling, and small flare-ups because I begin to feel better and then I increase my activities too much and pay for it. I have massages every 3 weeks and really have appreciated those for both my back and leg!

Country
It takes some getting use to. I work with the public which can require alot of standing.

I noted I needed to consult and talk with people more at my desk as the standing on the concrete talking was wearing my out a bit. Standing is getting better. Does your work require you to be on your feet alot?

This is actually the second full week back, I am only working 3 days a week. Just can't seem to get my groove back in work...

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
The scar tissue issue was it was making it harder to walk, apparently it was forming around the top part of the implant.
In the case of a knee replacement, this feeling is more likely swelling, as you are up and about for longer periods of time now that you’re back to work.

OP
OP
G

ginr

Country
No I am an accountant and sit at a desk most of the day. I don't do taxes but support those in the office that do. I answer phones and give out tax returns along with doing payroll and bookkeeping. I also do profit and loss statements so that my boss can do the business taxes. So we are all rather busy right now and it won't let up until the first part of May. I can't seem to find a comfortable way to put my leg under the desk. It feels better elevated but I can't seem to find a good way to achieve that.

The pain in my knee that she worked on was as I described to the PT-"Someone is taking the edge of a tin can and pressing it into my knee and it is sharp and painful, if it was a real tin can I would be bleeding it feels like it is cutting into my knee" The PT worked it out and so did my massage therapist. I know I am still very swollen and ice nightly. Last night I got up and got my ice machine and moved it into my bedroom and iced about 45 min. I couldn't go to sleep for the pain. I was able to fall asleep after that.
This is quite a journey, I am just over 11 weeks and I keep thinking I have 41 weeks to get to a year. So a lot of healing still happening. I get very discouraged since I must think I am Wonder Woman and should be doing everything plus more at this stage. I have to keep reminding myself no Wonder Woman here.

sistersinhim

Country
Can you ice and elevate while you take your breaks and lunch? Sitting with your leg bend all that time is murder on a new knee. I hope you can figure out a way to make it easier for you.

OP
OP
G

ginr

Country
I have a box I prop it on, it isn't much elevation, but a little, I have a knee wrap with pockets in it that I put on when my knee gets to hurting at work. I come home do my exercises and then ice and prop my leg up. I need to come up with a better propping situation at work. I'll have to thing about it. I have weighting retirement at the end of summer. I need to get an ideal of what insurance will cost me. Not sure I don't want to work some or if I just want to not work. I'm working 3 days a week right now, I'm just tired of working. But then I'm afraid I'll just sit at home. Wish I had a crystal ball, so I would know when the knee is going to be more normal, when I should retire. Things that keep me up at night.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Lots of things keep me up at night, too. :console2:

And now that you’re back to work, your knee is getting plenty of natural exercise, so you don’t really have to do the “reps of formal” exercises, that may be too much, all together, for your knee.

OP
OP
G

ginr

Country
I gave my knee two days off, I just had too much swelling from working Thursday and Friday. Today I have kept it elevated and iced. I did do the exercises but not hard. Tonight it is looking ok. I'll be 12 weeks on Tuesday. I really thought it would be further on the path of recovery. I have two more months before I go on vacation. Here's hoping the knee will be happier. I am still struggling with my depression. I'm not sure if it isn't somewhat the weather and a combination of emotions and feelings. I'm going to keep on keeping on that is all I know to do. At least the grinding crunching is long gone. Even if this is as good as it gets it is still better than what it was.

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Glad to hear the grinding and crunching long gone...this gives me hope :) Try occasionally moving around your office to stretch the knee and maybe a mini peddler to go under your desk you could do gentle rotations keeping the knee moving so that it doesn't tense up and get too stiff.
Take some ice pads too I find they help with the pain if I'm sitting too long.
Weather very much effects our moods and joints, I'm in UK for a week visiting my brother ( he sufferea stroke and is in a nursing home ) and the weather is so dismal and cold that I'm grumpy and my knee is twitchy/achy and it wants to go back home to the Algarvian Warmth- plus side at least Winter is almost over for all of us and we have Summer to look forward too.
Think hard about retirement -3 days pw gets you out of the house and amongst people - I only work from April to September also part-time but am bored silly from November to April ...

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
At least the grinding crunching is long gone. Even if this is as good as it gets it is still better than what it was.
You are 12 weeks into a recovery that takes an average of 52 weeks, where you are now is not where you will end up. :console2:

Recently I compared this recovery to baking cookies. My chocolate chip cookies take 12 minutes to completely bake. If I take them out earlier, at 2 minutes, 4, 8 or whatever, they will only be partially baked, and not all that tasty, because they’re not done yet.

The same is true of our knee at 2 months, or 3 months, etc. It needs time to finish healing.

Rubyroo

Country
Sorry your feeling depressed ginr. Keep your chin up. This journey is a lot on us. Some days are better than others. I definitely think the weather has an affect. Definitely feel happier on the sunny days. I'm only 8 days ahead of you surgery wise. We have to be patient with our individual recovery journey, which is totally easier said than done. Helps to vent on here though!

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
I always found that when I wasn't feeling great or down in the dumps be it from loneliness or pain or just fed up being stuck at home a few hours browsing, posting and reading here on BoneSmart always lightened up my day, it's great self therapy to help others and sometimes we think we have nothing to add but there is always someone who appreciated your input and helps their recovery too.
Wishing you a happier day Sending virtual hugs xx:console2:

henrietta

Country
France France
ginr, just been reading your posts and the replies and feel really sorry that you’re feeling down, and having to contend with work as well as recovery. I’m very fortunate that as I’m retired (and have a retired husband to look after me!) I have been able to take it easy and recover slowly. Even so, there are the days when I feel low and every little ache and pain is a worry.
however, I had my first knee done a year ago and I got there in the end, so I know it happens. When working can you give yourself occasional quiet moments for relaxation, meditation type minutes? There are lots of ideas on line now. I’m just thinking that your knees agitation while you’re working isn’t just about getting it comfortable physically but about how your whole mind and body are active and busy, and need to be quiet.
easier said than done I know.
as sara61 said, this site helps too!
hugs xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
horseygal
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom