THR Surgery October 25, back to living!

@Bodie’sMom

Yay! You get to ditch the walker! What a relief, huh?

I, too, think it's odd about your surgeon saying no to walking. I wonder what she thinks you do when you walk? Does she think you are some Olympic power walker? Well, it's only a few weeks.

I was afraid to walk my dog for a long time, lest an unexpected squirrel cross our path. I didn't want to take the chance of falling.

It's good that she's concerned with your hip healing and not pushing you to work, work, work.

Glad to hear it’s going well @Bodie’sMom. It does seem every surgeon is different and has their own set of restrictions and concerns. Mine was all for early mobilisation, which I was grateful for. But ultimately we all reach the same point in the end.

@Abbylayla - hip surgery is definitely worth it and I suspect being overweight is of less issue to it than it is to knee surgery.

Shopping with a cart is fine: you use the cart as a walker. But you still will need your cane or walker for getting from the cart drop-off to your car.

Sounds like things are going well. Just be aware: it's easy to overdo it, and that can cause some serious pain and setbacks. Slowly increase things. Very slowly ...

But sounds like you're doing well. You can always call the surgeon's office to get clarity on the "walking" orders. Sometimes the surgeon's nurses or PA's communicate better than the surgeon, and they expect calls and questions after surgery.

Happy Thanksgiving, to my fellow hippies in the US!
Hard to believe, it’s been a month, since my surgery! My recovery has been steady, not as quick, as I thought, but thats ok, I’m still moving forward.

The only real complaint I have is, I still have the same headache. It’s just moved to the other side of my head. Some days, it fades, other days, not so much. I’m hoping, as I get more active, it will finally leave. Still on blood thinners, for another week and can only take regular strength Tylenol, which has never worked for me.

My hip, feels great though! I get out everyday and am really conscious about walking heel to toe, with my cane, but feel, I’m a ways off, from walking without one. I had been limping, for about 4 years, previously and compensating, has been my middle name, for so long, that retraining my leg, could take a bit.

I have goals though and am confidant, I will get there, eventually :)

Happy One Month Anniversary!
It sounds like you’re doing really well, aside from the the nuisance daily headache. Wondering if you’ve discussed it with your surgeon / surgeons care team or your Primary Care Physician?

While I’m not a medical professional, nor am I recommending this site since I’m unfamiliar with it, I found some info on Healthline doing a quick search. It said -
“Generally speaking headaches occur when we experience swelling or increased pressure on your nerves. In response to this pressure change, a pain signal is sent to the brain, which sets off the painful experience we know as a headache”.

It further stated - “The most common reasons people have headaches after a surgery are due to anesthesia and the type of surgery performed. People tend to report the highest frequency of headaches after receiving spinal anesthesia from an epidural or spinal block. These headaches are caused by pressure changes in your spine or if your spinal membrane was accidentally punctured. Headaches after spinal anesthesia usually appear up to a day after surgery, and resolve themselves in a couple of days or weeks.”

In addition to headaches caused directly by anesthesia or the type of surgery performed, there are other, more indirect effects of surgery that can lead to development of postoperative headaches, such as:

• blood pressure fluctuations
  • stress and anxiety
  • sleep deprivation
  • pain
  • low iron levels
  • dehydration
Typical treatments include:

• over-the counter pain medication
  • fluids
  • caffeine
  • bed rest
  • cold compress to the affected area
  • time and patience
If you received a spinal epidural and you’re treating your headaches but they’re not improving, your doctor may suggest an epidural blood patch — a procedure to restore spinal pressure — to relieve the pain.

If this info isn’t new to you, I hope it helps.
Wishing you a happy, headache free day!
@Bodie’sMom

Hi @Layla
Thank you for the information! That was very kind and helpful. I did discuss it, with the surgeon and my family doctor. Neither one, had any suggestions.

The headache is a familiar one. I call it, my laid off headache, that I would get, when my seasonal job ended, every winter and my sleep and activity patterns changed. I would wake up with it and it would last for a few days to a week and disappear.

This time, it started 5 days, post surgery and caffeine, sometimes works, other times not. I thought, last weekend, I had a handle on it, but just remembered, I got my daughter, to put my regular mattress back on my bed, at that time too. Today is not as bad, so hoping, that it is a good sign!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi @Schaargi:yay:
It will be 7 weeks on Monday! I was getting a little frustrated, with my progress, so I thought, I’d hold off, until after I went to physio yesterday.

I feel great, no pain, getting stronger, every day, get out and do alot of the things, I could do before. I can walk around the kitchen, without the cane, but that’s it. I was seeing, my fellow Bonesmart hippies, behind me, throwing away their cane and wondered, why I couldn’t do it.

So, needless to say, I vented at the physiotherapist, yesterday. We only get 5 visits with 3 weeks between. I didn’t really take into account, that I had, the lateral procedure. They don’t want you to start strengthening, the abductor muscle, until after 6 weeks, because of what, surgery does to it.

I feel better, about it now, as that, was slowing me down. She says, I’m doing great. I can do all the 6 week exercises, no problem, so will focus on that. I am bad about subconsciously, resting on my unoperated leg. Need to stop that! Too many years, of trying to protect that side.

Also said, I should stay on the cane, so not to encourage bad habits and walk wonky. I don’t put very much weight on it and can walk, quite quickly. I have also started using trekking poles, which I really like!

I have to admit, my expectations were too high, but I will get there!
Thanks for checking in on me!
Appreciate it:)

Hello @Bodie’sMom
Its hard not to compare our recovery with that of others, but it can lead to disappointment and it sounds like you’re right where you should be, so good for you! Remember heel toe walking if you find yourself limping, it does help. This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.

Happy Seven Weeks a couple days early. Thanks for updating us and have a wonderful weekend!

One of the things that helped me recover was to understand what was actually done to my body in order for them to do the THR. I wasn't one to watch video of the surgery, the animated videos was enough to get the point across. It really is amazing what is done to us and that it is done as quickly and that we recover from it. When you realize just how much they twist our legs and stretch our muscles it's easier to accept the slow steady recovery timeline.

Thanks @Layla! I practice heel, toe and it does help. I know better than to compare, but it does get in your head, anyway. I have so much, to be grateful for and I know, I will get there!

Hi @Eman85. No thank you! It was more than enough, listening to the surgery and my knee, hurt something fierce, as she was putting the staples in, so I will leave the rest, to my imagination :snork:

I have to admit, my expectations were too high, but I will get there!
Yes, the expectation thing is hard. I had such a rough time with my first hip (June 2020 and still not up to speed) that I had exceedingly LOW expectations this time and continually marvel at my progress. Well, at almost 6 weeks, the marvelling is turning into the regular old impatience and periodic worry. :umm:

You really do sound like you are doing well and able to reach PT milestones. I think PT is helpful mentally as well as physically. 6 weeks seems to be a common time limit for soft tissue healing.

2 months on Christmas Day! Merry Christmas everyone:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
I really have had a dream recovery from surgery! I sleep well, don’t take any medication, I walk a couple of miles a day. My persistent headache, finally left, a week ago. I never, ever, thought I could be, this pain free. My knee, before surgery, was actually, more painful than my hip. Gone! So thankful!

@Going4fun I read your comment to one of the members, about walking without a cane and looked at some of your thread, from a few years ago. So many similarities! I kept thinking, at 6 weeks, almost there, without a cane, any day now... Almost 3 weeks later, still use it:thud: I walk fast as well. I get moving on the flat pavement and feel normal, for about 10 steps.

To me, it feels like, my abductors are still tight. I saw, that you had the antero lateral approach and I had the straight lateral. Do you feel that had anything to do with, being on the cane, so long? I did limp for 4 years, prior to surgery, which I’m sure, didn’t help. Anyway, looking at your past journey, has given me hope, that I can pitch the cane, soonish, maybe:beg:

Hi @Bodie’sMom!

Wow, you are doing great! I'm at 8 weeks next week.

My abductors/gluteus medius muscles are super tight on both sides and also feel weak. I mentioned it to my PT and she thought it was normal. I had an anterior approach.

Good job, getting through the first 8 weeks!

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: Merry Christmas, Bodi’s Mom!
It’s so nice to read how well your recovery is going. Thanks for updating.
Happy Two Month Anniversary and best wishes for a lovely day!
@Bodie’sMom

I made it to 3 months:happydance:

At 10 weeks, I thought hmm, maybe I am turning the corner. I was walking better and longer, without the cane. It turned out to be a long winding corner, but I was still going forward. There has been a lot of changes, since then. While, for the most part, I’m cane free, (which is amazing!) it‘s still next to my bed at night.

Saw surgeon, for my sign off, last week. First thing she said when she watched me walk was, you’re not perfect, but you aren’t going to be. I did mention to her, I felt my abductors were still a little weak and aside from telling me, I was doing the exercises wrong, she cleared me for work on Valentine’s Day! Gives me an extra few weeks and will do half days for 2 weeks, then full time.

I was stressing, about going back to my physically active job, at 3 months. I feel, I’m close to being ready, but didn’t want to risk everything I’ve worked for, so was quite relieved, when she said the 14th and I will be good to go!

So grateful, for all the support, from everyone here on Bonesmart:thankyou:
It would have been so much harder, without you all!

Hey there @Bodie’sMom :wave:
You’re doing great. Happy Three Month Anniverary!
First thing she said when she watched me walk was, you’re not perfect, but you aren’t going to be
My surgeons PA reminded me of the same early on. She said the prosthetic will never match a natural hip, but gets pretty darned close. I say, I’ll Take It, I’ll Take It!

Thankfully you feel ready to go back to work in three weeks and it’s awesome that you’re able to work half days for the first couple weeks. That should be very helpful in adjusting to your return. Thanks for all of the support you offer others here. Hopefully you plan to stick around. Enjoy the rest of the week!

Hi Bodie'sMom, good news you have 3 weeks to enjoy some leisure time then a gentle feed back to working life. Guess your 'physically active' job involves walking around? rather than heavy lifting.
I'm not far behind you in recovery and have welcomed your support on my thread, so happy to hear you are progressing well.

Good to see you are continuing to improve, and there is a lot of improvements to come.
:dancy:
I saw improvements even past my 1 year hipversary.
I'm not sure if my hips are "perfect " now, but I think so.:) :-) (:
No limping, no pain, no decreased ROM....but it took 18 mos or so to get there.
And so can you.
New hips rock:yahoo:

Thanks @Reanda! My job involves pushing large, 3-4 tier carts, loaded with stock, around all day, so a lot of walking, bending and placing stock on shelves. They will put heavier items, mid level if I ask them to. I do put a lot of kms on, in a day. It will just be a matter of getting fit and not running around like a maniac, like I usually do:spin:

Thanks @Mojo333 appreciate it! Funny you said that, because the surgeon said 18 months as well. I always thought, it was a year, so good to know! This is my retirement job and I chose it, so I could stay active and hopefully do it, for a few more years.

Thanks @Layla! You are awesome! This is an incredible forum! Everyone is so positive and supportive of one another. I think you are stuck with me, now:puppysmooze:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks