THR Surgery October 25, back to living!

Bodie’sMom

Country
Canada Canada
Hi everyone!
love this forum and look forward to be a part of this wonderful community! I had my left hip replaced yesterday morning and back home by supper! I had been dealing with groin pain, for 12 years and it finally affected my quality of life, this year. I don’t know, why I was shocked, my hip was bone on bone, but l was. Just thought, it was bursitis and a groin pull, that didn’t heal.

I feel good, the day after. I had a spinal and minimal sedation, which I attribute to not feeling nauseous after and thawed out quickly. It was a great experience and I encourage anyone, on the fence about it, due to scarey internet stories and worrisome restrictions, it’s not that bad! Pain has been managed, so far. I feel a whole lot better, than I did before surgery! So grateful, that it was a fixable problem and excited to get my life back! Thanks to BoneSmart for so much useful information!

@Bodie'sMom I got my new right hip last week - similar story to you in that it caught up with me this year. Thought it was sciatica and bursitis!
I had a spinal too with light sedation. It was a good experience.
I did feel nauseous the next day but far better than I'd have been with a full anaesthetic.
Here's to us going onwards and upwards!

@Bodie’sMom I'll definitely jump in on those symptoms. I've had the groin pain for years. Sometimes left. Sometimes right. Sometimes both. I totally wrote it off to muscle pulls because when I first started feeling the pain I had been going up & down a ladder for days. And I didn't think to much of it never going completely away because groin muscles take forever to heal even with rest...which I wasn't giving them.
Well finally went to doctor. Got my knees & hips xrayed. Grade 4 OA all around.
Got my right knee replaced last year. No plans for left right now.
Going to do left hip shortly. The pain I have now is horrendous. My hips are, for all intents & purpose, useless. I can only walk with crutches. And at that, not well.
I have to admit, although absolutely everyone tells me the hips are easier than the knees, I am much more intimidated by hip replacement than I ever was about my knee. I am so immobile I have anxiety that the new hip won't get me walking and I'll be even worse off. And I'm way overweight. The thought of dislocation scares me to death. My surgeon only does posterior as well which has a higher dislocation risk.
I envy those of you who've gotten knew hips! I really need to get over this & do it!

Good job!

I thought my first hip was just bursitis, too, and was equally shocked that it was a labral tear and arthritis.

I'm so glad you are doing well now! Keep us posted. I'm right behind you with my second THR on Nov. 2.

Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery. Thanks for joining us!
Your upbeat attitude is like a breath of fresh air and we thank you for sharing that bit encouragement with those still on the fence, or following behind you.

I’ll leave you our Recovery Guidelines and hope you’ll continue to update us with your progress. We’d love to follow your healing journey.
Wishing you lots of comfort and a peaceful evening! :)

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Bodie’sMom I'll definitely jump in on those symptoms. I've had the groin pain for years. Sometimes left. Sometimes right. Sometimes both. I totally wrote it off to muscle pulls because when I first started feeling the pain I had been going up & down a ladder for days. And I didn't think to much of it never going completely away because groin muscles take forever to heal even with rest...which I wasn't giving them.
Well finally went to doctor. Got my knees & hips xrayed. Grade 4 OA all around.
Got my right knee replaced last year. No plans for left right now.
Going to do left hip shortly. The pain I have now is horrendous. My hips are, for all intents & purpose, useless. I can only walk with crutches. And at that, not well.
I have to admit, although absolutely everyone tells me the hips are easier than the knees, I am much more intimidated by hip replacement than I ever was about my knee. I am so immobile I have anxiety that the new hip won't get me walking and I'll be even worse off. And I'm way overweight. The thought of dislocation scares me to death. My surgeon only does posterior as well which has a higher dislocation risk.
I envy those of you who've gotten knew hips! I really need to get over this & do it!
Your last sentence says, it all! You need your quality of life back! You can get it back! I don’t know what the grade on my “good” hip is, I’m told, it’s mild to moderate. It hasn’t started to bother me yet. It has been, mostly my left side, including arthritic knees on both sides, but have lots of space. I can only imagine, what you are feeling, but it is definitely less pain, after surgery. It’s a healing ache. If you are dealing, with that awful pain, now, after surgery will be better.

The surgeons at my hospital, only do lateral procedures and my hip is also cemented, but the physical therapist at the hospital, told me, she’s been there 15 years and hasn’t seen a dislocation yet. I really hope, you go for it soon!

My surgeon said he's only seen two dislocations. One was a man doing quite an extreme yoga position and the other, sadly, was a young woman who fell over her toddler! Awful thing to happen.
Take it easy everyone!

I knew a blokeback in 2013 when I had my first done who was a gardener and dislocated his hip going back to his job way too soon!

Day 5 in the books! Hip feels good, swelling minimal. Toughest part, so far, has been sleeping, or not sleeping-ugh. So hard to get comfortable. Tomorrow’s another day, so hopefully will be better! Just wondered, if anyone else had stomach issues, the first week. I only had to take Senokot once, but whenever I eat, I just feel icky for hours after. Everything tastes different and smells different and not in a good way. I only took the narcotic, two nights and other than Tylenol, a blood thinner and Celebrex, that’s it

Hi @Bodie’sMom
Congrats on your new hip and welcome to the forum.
The sleep struggle is real...and getting comfortable was a real issue for me too.:sigh:
Time was the biggest resolver in my case and I spent most nights in my recliner for the first weeks with much needed powernaps in the day.

Alot of folks experience loss of appetite or off sense of taste, too.
I sure did.
Here is an interesting study from National Institute of Health about orthopedic patients.

I tried to drink alot and stayed on stool softeners....and chose the healthiest choices I could for my small meals and snacks.

All temporary, new hippy friend.:flwrysmile:

Sleeping was tough for me as I'm not naturally a back sleeper. I did get sleep but usually in a couple of hour blocks at a time. The first 2 weeks are tough and once past them it gets easier. I can't remember when I was able to roll on my non-op side but that made sleeping a lot better. Can't help you about stomach issues, I didn't have any problems in that department.

Hello and Happy Tuesday! :wave:
I‘m sorry to read about your sleep struggles which are very common early on. My best advice is always - pillows. Surround yourself with the type of pillows you find most comfortable. I wasn’t a back sleeper and it seemed to help to have pillows to throw an arm or leg on when I struggled to get comfortable enough to fall asleep.

Possibly the anesthesia or something your taking is causing the decrease or distortion in taste and smell which doesn't exactly enhance one’s appetite for food. Try to stay adequately hydrated and eat nutrient rich foods when you’re able. Hopefully your taste buds and sense of smell are restored soon. :fingersx:

Wishing you a good day! :SUNsmile:
@Bodie’sMom

Thanks everyone! i really appreciate the replies! Day 8 today and getting a lot stronger. Hip is doing well. Stomach is still an issue. Gas pain is the worst pain-groan. I’m thinking, I’m not drinking enough. I’m getting headaches too. I cancelled my first physio appt yesterday and moved it, to Friday. Figured, I should feel better, by then. All part of the process and I know, things will only get better!

First milestone! 2 weeks done! Yahoo!! Stomach issues have finally resolved, thank goodness! I’m still getting the same area, headache everyday, but it’s manageable with caffeine. I postponed my first physio until Thursday and get staples out and x-rays on Friday.

The biggest change for me, so far, has been, I was finally, able to sleep on my good side last night! Slept, so much better. Not happy with my exercise regime though. Here, they want you to stay on the walker for 4 weeks and I have the 2 wheeled rollator, which is super tough, to push down the sidewalk. Think, I might pick up a 4 wheeler, with brakes, so I can do more. Hands are sore too, from pushing it.

Finally, since it’s my left hip, that had surgery, the surgeon had said, as long as I wasn’t on narcotics, I could drive, when I felt up to it, so plan on doing that, for my 2 appointments, this week. Feels good, to get some of my independence back!

Happy Two Week Anniversary!
Wonderful news that your stomach issues have resolved and woohoo for some good sleep! I hope the daily headache is soon history.

You may want to consider some hand grips for walker / rollator. I know Amazon carries them and they’re inexpensive. They come in a variety of styles.
Good luck with your PT on Thursday and the staple removal and x-rays on Friday.
She has wheels again!:driver:
@Bodie’sMom

Is you walker adjusted high enough? I never really leaned hard on the walker. I took a step and then pushed the walker ahead and then I stepped to it. Inside on hard floors I put tennis balls on the back legs so it slid easy.

Yup, right at the bend of my wrists. i have tennis balls on mine too, which works great inside, but not so much outside. It takes a bit to get to the sidewalk and there is a lot of lifting of the walker, setting it down and my movement is jerky, when I get to the sidewalk, because it’s only 2 wheeled and my tennis balls are ruined already.They just put the sidewalks in last year and they still have a rough texture. I see my surgeon on Friday and will ask, when I can move to a cane.

Thanks for your suggestions though! Appreciate you taking the time to help!

Day 19 today! I have to admit, it’s going by pretty fast! Staples came out yesterday, along with having follow up x-rays. So happy, everything looks great! Surgeon said length looked good. Not sure how she determines that, but she’s satisfied.

I had gone to physio the day before and she thought, I was ready for a cane and the surgeon agreed, so happy dance!! They both got after me, for not standing with a straight knee, on my operated side. I’ve always protected that knee, because it has ached for years and it is subconscious, so have to work on that.

The only thing, that I’m disappointed about, is she doesn’t want me walking, until 6 weeks. She really wants the hip to heal. I can get rid of the cane, when I don’t limp. I still plan on being active. She didn’t say anything about shopping and a shopping cart in a grocery store, seems pretty safe to me.

Anyway, my hip feels great, I’m driving and I have my independence back! Hopefully, the next 3 weeks will fly by, so the dogs and I can get back to walking again!

The only thing, that I’m disappointed about, is she doesn’t want me walking, until 6 weeks.
Does she mean extended walks? Maybe she's concerned about you walking dogs. They could pull and cause you to fall.

Yes, do use your cane until you have no more limping. This can take awhile - especially if you limped around for awhile pre-op.

Sounds like you are getting your life back :yes!:!

Hi Jaycey-I didn’t mention the dogs, until after she said, no walking. I wouldn’t walk them, until I was off a cane and really mobile anyway. They got use to me, going slower, before surgery, but I couldn’t do it, with a cane.

If I hadn’t asked her about it, she wouldn’t have told me. At pre-op, the physical therapist had warned me, my surgeon, was all about, the hip healing and staying on the walker, but did think, I could walk them at 4 weeks.

Thats ok, I’m using the cane now and will get exercise, regardless

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties