Surgery moved up!!

Shewolf38

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone. I was recently scheduled for RTKR on October 17 and I was just called yesterday to let me know that my date has been moved up to August 29!! I am so happy to start my road of recovery but now I only have a couple weeks to make the arrangements and get all the items that I will need instead of a couple months. I am lucky enough to have someone available to assist me 24 hours a day. Any suggestions to make things easier are welcome.

"PROPER" slippers are on the top of my list, ie with backs on them, NO mules! In fact it's the only thing on my list if I don't mention the tv remote, my tablet, and a few books.

And relax, it's probably not going to be as much of a trial as you might think. First day out, I was up and about in the house making sandwiches and cuppas, albeit slowly, and to the frustration of my lovely wife. I've recently finished prostate radiotherapy, which has left me with more urgency to reach the toilet, which is upstairs, so that might be exciting but I'll find a way!. I'll soon learn to use my crutches at warp speed:loll:

22 sleeps until my second new knee, I wish the phone would ring with news of a cancellation.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the response Tykey!! You have made me feel less nervous about taking care of myself afterwards. I will be sure to stop by the store in the next few days to pick up some slippers with backs on them!! I am picturing someone flying around the house on crutches at warp speed!! :rotfl:

Oh my!
It's wonderful that you'll have someone with you. I would not have wanted to be on my own the first 2 weeks.

I already had a toilet seat riser, and I'm very glad I did for this, it made things much easier in the earlier days.
My Beloved who took excellent care of me isn't much of a cook, so I had a lot of meals prepped that were simple for him to heat up. I highly recommend having a protein shake you like on hand. Many people lose their appetites, although I never did. I had protein shakes handy in case I got hungry at night or between meals. Your body will be very hard at work even when you're flat on your back!

I didn't get a fancy ice machine, although I used one in PT and it was lovely. I made my own ice packs using isopropyl alcohol and water put in double freezer ziplock bags. And food coloring, because I am easily amused.

I used a belt we had to lift my leg for a few days. I have since gotten a Yoga type strap with holes to put your foot in. I use it for PT now, and it will be handy for the next leg when it is too stiff to lift on my own for a few days.

I'm not much of a slipper person, I have several pairs of no-slip socks that I just wore all the time for a while. What ever you have, you need to be stable. Falling would be bad.

I have a Lounge Doctor pillow. For the first 2 weeks I couldn't comfortably have my leg that high, but after that I've used it a lot to help with swelling.

I am not usually much of a tv person, but we set up a tv in the bed room and that was pretty wonderful. I was dazed and vague for about 2 weeks and watching streaming shows was perfect. Week 3 seems to be the time for 'bored out of your mind'. I'm learning to knit so I have something more than TV when boredom hits.

This site has been a huge support for me. I hope it is as helpful for you.

Last edited:
I didn't get a fancy ice machine either, a large bag of frozen peas did the job perfectly well, except if visitors came around I'd use those posh petit pois

Definitely a raised 3-in-one (over the toilet or bedside) commode adjustable, with arms;
Supportive shoes that are easy to get on and off;
Routine, routine, routine (meals, sleep, rest/naps);
Skirts and or dresses/nightgowns, as the nerves often cannot stand the touch of even light fabric;
An adjustable bedframe and/or the pillow @luvcats got, as fussing with how to elevate gets aggravating;
Pain meds and a log to keep track of what you take.
A small sack/purse (shoulder/crossbody) to keep your phone on your body at all times you are alone in case you need to call for assistance.
Good luck!
PS I could not juggle peas, etc, so used an Aircast gravity feed with a cryocuff. Comes in electric now, but I will add that for a future fix

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018