Surgery just a few weeks away

kfisher119

Country
United States United States
Hello Everyone...

I am on the final countdown to my right THR coming up September 6. Trying to beat back the anxiety that comes with my first major surgery. I so hoped that my hip problems would resolve with therapy and exercise but I finally had to come to grips with surgery as my only option to recover the quality of life I want. I've alway been very active and this last year of having to say no to activities I love has been hard. I've been reading a lot here and it's encouraging, I want to embrace that but there's that little voice in the back of my head that won't let me be as optimistic as I want to be. All pre-op screenings are next week. Hopefully I'll soon be done limping through life.

Morning @kfisher119. Welcome to bone smart. You are in the best place to be for information, support and understanding for what you are going through. Lot of good tips on how to manage the pain now and during recovery from a community of those preparing for surgery and those in recovery. The emotional support is priceless here as your surgery date comes. I am starting my 5th week of recovery on my second THR. My right was done 3 yrs ago and the change in my life was amazing. The emotional roller coaster you are experiencing is normal. It can be difficult to get the mind to except what the body is saying. Your body says " I need help" and your mind is arguing, "No, not that". As you have said your favorite activities have ended. After recovery you will be able to do the things you love with the biggest smile. To me I felt like a toddler that discovered walking and everything else that follows. I'm looking forward to horseback riding come spring, getting in a boat with friends and long walks with my dog. Check in here often there will be others coming by through out the day. This surgery is life changing and we are truly blessed to have the opportunity to get our lives back. You take care, we're pulling for you we're all in this together. :console2:

@kfisher119 Glad you found us before your op. We will help you through this anxious time. We have all been in that scary place. But the good news is once you are fully healed you get your life back.

For now focus on getting your home ready for recovery. If you spend any time in the pre-op area you will get lots of tips on making life easier during recovery.

Here's a helpful article all about Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home

And a bit about your screenings next week. Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Welcome @kfisher119 ! I was 61 when I did my first hip, but I had a different reaction than most on here. I was overjoyed to get it fixed! I'd had a severely malfunctioning non-essential organ removed 30 years before that, and I knew what happiness release from grinding constant pain can bring.

Do all your reading here, decide where you want to "nest" to be-- near food and bathroom, sunshine and the door to the deck if you have one. What will you stockpile to read, and/or to watch? Some people cook like crazy and fill their freezers. I went on an epic Costco shop, and filled the freezer (too lazy to cook meals, but needed something hubby could manage without too much fraught kitchen behavior.); do laundry; decorate your walker with glitter and stickers (we really did talk about having a walker-decorating contest in my first hip cohort!). It does pay, though, to figure out a system for your walker so that you can keep cell phone, water bottle, coffee travel mug that's pretty watertight, pain meds, snacks, books/magazines, all at your fingertips. A loose pullover or button-up sundress/jumper with enormous pockets is another plus. I found the perfect one, 2 sizes too big but it's not like I would wear it out in public!, at my GoodWill shop. I also was extremely cold for a couple of weeks post-op first hip, so lightweight sweaters, wraps, and throws were my true friends. I did most of my second recovery out on our fishbowl of a sun porch (July in Central Virginia is brutal, and July 2017 may have been the record setter), and had the opposite problem-- needed a floor fan directly on me in addition to the ceiling fan.

The people here are The Best! Keep busy meeting people, and we will help you find your way.

Welcome to BS!! You have found the right place. Most people on here have been there, done that with the anxiety and second thoughts but we’ve found that surgery was the right decision. It is truly amazing how ALL that disappears and you soon get your life back. Recovery often goes faster than you may think and you once again have your range of motion back and are able to resume your old activities. Even after two years, I still find myself amazed at the lack of pain at times, especially as I walk across a large parking lot to get to the store and don’t have to look for the nearest shopping cart to lean on. You’ve made the right decision so now is the time to start getting ready for your recovery. Don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have. There is always someone around to respond. I wish you well.

Welcome. Explore how to get ready for recovery and how not to overdo at recovery. It is a scary operation the first time and sometimes the second but so worth it to get to be pain free and able to regain your life again. As you see I am on my 4th joint replacement. So happy after each one to get moving till the next joint started hurting and limiting me again. Yes, it can be scary but so worth it. I concentrate on the after a lot and look around at what I will be able to do again, long walks out on my fields (live on 70 acres), get in and out of the car without pain, do grocery shopping without pain, sit and read without discomfort, ride my bike again outside and my indoor recumbent. The more I list the things I will be able to do without pain and that I cannot do, the more I know that it is the right thing for my life. There is still so much life and fun to be had.

I went for my dental screening today and found out I have a tooth that has to go prior to surgery. They called my surgeon to ask if a course of antibiotics was adequate and were told unquestionably NO....must be extracted. That was a mess up I was not expecting and I can't say I'm happy about it (at all!) Scheduled for 8/30, just one week before my THR.

I think the surgeon is taking the right path. This is exactly why they ask you to get dental clearance. You would not want the infection to return when you are just post op. As drastic as extraction sounds, it will limit the chances of further infection. I assume you are already on antibiotics now?

Hi kfisher119! I just had my right hip replaced on 7/15 and will hit 5 weeks recovery on Monday 8/19. I can honestly tell you that it was the best decision I made. Like you, I struggled with whether or not I really needed the surgery but after having too many pain-filled days I realized I had no choice if I wanted my active life back. Zauberflote has given you some excellent tips about pre-surgery preparation. I would like to add that Amazon is your friend when it comes to ordering durable medical equipment, and that another necessity is a "hip kit" including grabbers, which will become your new best friend during the early weeks of recovery. Another suggestion is to apply to your DMV for a temporary disabled parking permit. I was granted one for six months and I will tell you that it definitely comes in handy when going to MD appointments when newly recovered.

I don't mind admitting that I was an absolute wreck before my surgery. I was terrified that the surgery wasn't going to take; that I would be worse off than what I was pre-surgery; and that something random was going to happen and the OS would have to cancel me-in fact, I was so worried about that one that my OS promised me that he wasn't going anywhere by plane around my surgery date and would be in the area. It's amazing what tricks your mind can play on you when you are feeling vulnerable.

I am actually going in for my left hip replacement three days after you. Both my hips have/had moderate to severe OA that was causing me excruciating pain and difficulty walking, especially up stairs. Isn't it amazing how we can be bionic and loving life? They can rebuild us! They have the technology!

I wish you all the best in your upcoming surgery and see you on the recovery side in a few weeks!

I've complete all the pre-op screenings. Dental screening required an extraction which was an unpleasant surprise. Oh well. I learned at the hospital yesterday that the actual surgery is only about 15 minutes long! I can hardly believe it!! I am scheduled at 6:30 AM so they're telling me that they'll have me up walking by 9 and very well may go home the same day. Is this too good to be true??

Don't expect that so fast. My surgery was at 7:15 am and done at 8:40 am. Then they want you to be awake and able to drink water and eat something light and solid like crackers so you are not nauseous.. Then to your room where you will have to walk to the bed. ( and there is a squadron in case you are dizzy) . Then to bed for a while. I had two long walks op day working on gait. Cant say if they have you going home the same day..If your blood counts are up maybe.. But they gave me three courses of antibiotics IV to be sure and the last one had to be at night.
That may be more of a system issue.. I did not mind being waited on in hospital during the night. I was hungry and the night nurse got yogurt and a banana for me after the pt dining service was closed.

I rested well in the hospital.. well enough to go to market on my way home the following day then to the home"nest"

I appreciate that feedback Mainegirl1! It sounded pretty ambitious to me. I think they're telling me this because I'm pretty fit and have no other medical issues. I think husband is in for a rude awakening though. I always bounce back quickly from everything and with this thing I know I'm going to have to take my time. I will have to remember wise words from my grandmother "The hurrier I go the behinder I get!"

I don't want a 15 min hip replacement if it's even possible. Getting up and walking a few hours after you gt back from surgery is normal, but it's not normal walking. You will still have whatever they stop the pain with in your system but walking will wear it off quickly. As I found out as I returned to the room in a heavy sweat and in pain because I didn't feel I needed any painkillers before the walk. Going home the same day is getting pretty common.

I took care of my mom when she needed an extraction when she was about 90 years old. They will give you plenty of gauze and you will need to be careful about what you eat or drink for a little bit. Not a bad idea to ask ahead so you have some comfortable foods and beverages at home.
It healed up well and became a non-issue pretty quickly. My mom had some vanilla ensure on hand, too. More because of her age.
May I ask what kind of approach to hip replacement your surgeon plans?

VSlowLife, he’s doing a lateral approach. Thanks for your response. The tooth is out. It’s a little uncomfortable but overall ok. Dentist just put me on an antibiotic just to be safe.

Kfisher119, glad your procedure went well. You are “young” and I am hoping it will heal quickly for you.
I do not know enough about the lateral approach. I will look into it. Thank you.
Meanwhile, you seem to be checking off all you need to do, to prep for a successful surgery. You have many great people here to guide you.

Kfisher, I had my first THR at age 62 also. I had waffled for several years, concerned that it wouldn't make a difference in the pain I was experiencing. What if the pain was coming from something wrong in my spine, rather than the OA in my hip? What if I had several separate problems, and even if the hip was fixed, there was still referred pain from the other concerns? What if what if what if. All I can tell you is that I walked limp-free after a month post-surgery. What a fabulous feeling!

When the other hip acted up, i wasted no time. Fast forward to now....I do indeed get aches and pains for other reasons, particularly in my feet. Ball of foot pain, and neuromas, and bunions, oh my! But in spite of that, I treasure the wonderful feeling of going for a walk and having a normal stride and gait.

You will be done limping through life. You will love it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom