Lounge Doctor

THR Surgery is Nov 17th - live alone with 14 cats nervous!

CatLady14

Country
United States United States
I'm actually more nervous about the post-op just because I have 14 rescue cats. Please let me know if I'm posting incorrectly! Thank you

Jockette

Country
Hi and Welcome!

@sistersinhim had a total knee replacement and I think she had about that many rescue cats at the time. She’ll come and say hi and tell you how she managed.

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@CatLady14 Welcome to BoneSmart :welome: Wow 14 cats - how blessed you are to have so many purr-a-medics. And how blessed they all are for your kindness. The challenge will be how to care for them after your surgery. Think of all the things you need to do to care for them and what physical exertion it takes to do all that. Has your surgeon told you that you will have hip precautions to follow - such as not crossing your legs, not bending over, etc?

I had 2 cats when I had my hips replaced and what I did was move their feeding spot up to the end of my dining room table (put a water proof cover over it first) so that I did not have to bend down to feed them. They adapted to that easily. Cleaning litter boxes was done by my housemate - thankful a very helpful and kind guy who loved the cats as much as I did. I also had several long handled grabbers stashed around the house to pick up toys and other kitty attractions. The cats were quick to learn to stay out of the way of my waker and were quite patient with my slower dinner delivery.

Are your mostly indoor or outdoor - or combination? Do you have anyone with you who can help? If not it might be an idea with so many cats to hire some extra help - a neighborhood teenager or ?

subie2021

Country
Can you ise light-weight feed bowls that you can pick up with a grabber? And get a metal scooper, bend the handle 90* and zip tie it to a stick so you can clean litter boxes without bending? I'd be practicing now for sure!
Good luck to you and the kitties.

OP
OP
CatLady14

CatLady14

Country
I have a neighbor that looks after my cats when I go on vacation. I'm going to ask her to look after them for my stay in the hospital. She is quite a bit older than me and also has trouble getting around. So I didn't want to burden her with that. But sometimes we all need a little help. Fortunately my cats have a cat door that about 1/2 use. I will definitely have a grabber everywhere, great idea!

sistersinhim

Country
I had 13 cats at the time of my TKR. I did a lot of planning ahead of time. I bought a long-handled litter scooper, a large pet feeder, and waterer. The first few days a neighbor came over and cleaned out the litter boxes for me, then I took over. I have a screened-in porch where I have a catdoor installed in the door going to it and a catdoor going to the outside, which I would lock at night. Taking care of them gave me lots of daily activity and I had to do lots of icing and elevating.

You can do it! It takes planning ahead. Buy lots of food and litter. Have a cup where you can scoop out dry food from a large bag and the litter.

Use your walker until you are really sure on your feet. The walker keeps the kitties from underfoot. They will be curious about your knee. Let them sniff it and the ice pack. I had my heaviest boy jump on my knee when trying to get in my lap. I screamed and none them even did that again until I took them it was OK.

If you have any questions, please tag me. I will be glad to help all I can.

OP
OP
CatLady14

CatLady14

Country
@sistersinhim
Thank you so much! Between this forum, your reply and talking to one of my sisters, I'm feeling much better about this! I will ask my neighbor to come help with the cats for the 1st 2 days at least. I'm also going to get an appt with my pt and have him show me what will be best for getting in and out of bed, toilet muscles lol, for bending and sitting. And hire a house cleaner to help get my home in order. It's been harder the more pain I'm in before surgery. I have a plan! And thanks to all of you that helped ease my tension

sistersinhim

Country
I bought a Roomba vac to help with my housecleaning. I was surprised how well it did. The price would pay for a couple of weeks of housekeeping coming in. The kitchen and bathroom were to hardest to do. I would do just a little cleaning then sat down, iced, and elevated for a few hours. The key is to do just a little bit at a time.

OP
OP
CatLady14

CatLady14

Country
@sistersinhim
I do have one! Have so many cat toys and haven't been home that I haven't used it much. But with a good cleaning and removal a way too many kitty kick sticks I can use that for specific areas. I really am feeling so much better. Can't wait to get started!! But for now it's good night. And let the babies walk on me for a while longer

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
knobbyknees
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom