Surgery fears and concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron

Hello all,

I'm new at posting here, but have been reading and learning from the forum for awhile.

I had an arthroscopic knee procedure last November and developed a DVT blood clot from knee to ankle three after surgery.

I was just taken off Coumadin by my hematologist June 4th as my last ultrasound showed no signs of the clot.

After all of my lab testing I was found positive for a clotting disorder (Factor V Leiden).

I have Avascular Necrosis in my right hip which requires me to have a total right hip replacement on July 14th.

Has anybody else had a similar situation and if so may I get some advice.

I have opted for general anethesia. I think my biggest concerns and fears have to do with blood clot after surgery.

My hematologist does not want me to have an IVC filter put in even though I was told it would be removed 30 days after the surgery.

My orthopaedic surgeon was the first to recommend the filter.

Please help with any advice if you can. I will appreciate it.

Thanks!
Ron

Welcome, Ron!!! Two more weeks and you'll be a new man! I also had AVN, bone on bone! The RTHR was one of the BEST things I've ever done! Sorry I don't know what a filter is......Jo and Jamie or one of our fellow Bonesmartie members will know! Good luck!!! :)

Hello and welcome, We do have some members that had blood clots hopefully the will post soon. Sorry to here about the trouble you are having. Once you have your hip done I think you will feel better. We do have a memeber who is having surgery and getting one put in I will get her to reply, shes not on alot...I hope it all works out for you. Keep your head up...We are all here for ya post anytime........

Ron-
Welcome to Bonesmart! I can't help with your questions, but you've found a wonderful place for information and support. Jo and Jamie will see your post and reply with accurate and helpful information.
Best of luck!
Irene

Hi there, Ron, and welcome to BoneSmart.

I'm curious - what reason did your haematologist give for not wanting you to have an Inferior Vena Cava filter? Presumably your OS thought it would be a good precaution but I've had no experience with them so couldn't really comment. In any case, the doctors and nurses looking after you will all know of your case history and will be alert to any problems arising, plus they will take appropriate prophylactic measures such as Flowtron gaiters (leggings that inflate/deflate to mimic muscle activity.

Just curious - but what made you opt for a general anaesthetic rather than a spinal?

Hi, Ron. So glad you decided to join BoneSmart. I agree with Jo that your medical team should be able to address any issues with your particular situation. Just be sure you keep everyone informed along the way. It means repeating things many times when someone new comes into the mix, but it's important.

Hi Ron, I had a blood clot after my TKR and was on coumadin for a year and just this week when in for my pre-op for a revision. I did talk to the cardiologist about having a filter put in since my OS did recommend it. There are 2 types the one that does come out and the one that does stay in you forever.The cardiologist did say if blood clots are in your history it does pay to have the one that stays with you,so on July 22 I am going to have my filter put in as my surgery is on the 23,this time instead of GA i am having the spinal,Best of luck and any other questions please ask someone always have the answers.

I had a dvt post op from my RTHR. I am still on that lovely rat poison they call Coumadin. I was told that a filter would not be needed when I have my LTHR sometime in the future. I think I would let them do it if they suggested it. Clots are nasty things... Doesn't seem to be the way I want to go.

Hi Tahoe, we all miss ya. I hope your not working to hard...How are you feeling these days...

ai40.tinypic.com_zurp12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back