TKR Surgery Done, Lateral Release!

Hi all, I just wanted to see if anyone else had to deal with an intramuscular hematoma in the calf just below knee. Is this just a common occurrence? I had an ultrasound because of increased pain, the hematoma is 7cm x2cm x1 cm. I am waiting to hear from the doctor. I have really been icing and elevating but so far even with meds the pain is only a little better. I am hoping it i something that just reabsorbs but wanted to see if anyone else experienced this.

Today it has been 3 weeks since surgery. While I am doing so much better in some ways, I still have a lot of pain at times. Sleep is hard. My second week was horrendous, I was unable to really bear weight on my operated leg. I iced and elevated and used heat on my calf muscle due to the hematoma alternating constantly and it really seemed to help. After reading on here I cancelled my PT for the last visit as he was not really doing anything and left me in pain each time. I am able to walk with a cane and do stairs. I am trying to focus on the fact that I am seeing slow progress. Thank you all for posting it is reassuring to know things will get better!:thankyou:

@Sun catcher Still very early days for you. Full recovery can take up to one year or more. You will continue to see improvement for many months. Sounds like you are doing really well for so early out!

Most including myself ( way back when ) thought recovery was not going to be a big deal Ha Ha!! Truthfully its extremely painful and if you think you can push thru the pain to make it heal faster good luck. I have been thru this so far 6 times # 7 is coming end of Dec. There are no set times when to expect less pain a certain degree for ROM etc. The knee takes it own sweet time. From my own experience the first 2 weeks are the worst but that is not saying the first month or second is going to be great either. In my case by the 3rd month it may still hurt and you will have days that drive you nuts you will also start feeling that your getting better. If this is your first TKR by the end of 6 months you should be almost back to normal. That does not mean something is wrong if your not for some may take upwards of a year ( I will be grateful if it takes a year 7th time for replacement 20th time for surgery on same knee ) you have to be patient and not over do it!! While pain meds help when used as prescribed an ice pack and elevation can be used thru out the day I highly recommend.

Thank you! This is new territory for me. I have had a lumbar fusion and that was a cake walk compared to this. I also feel pain management form the doctor was better with that. I agree I ice and elevate a lot. I bought large soft ice packs from Amazon and just alternate. I need to be patient, I could not really walk before surgery so I am already better as I am able to walk with a cane. I am enjoying all of the Hallmark movies I have seen. I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery!

So about 4 weeks since surgery. This has been the most different recovery I have ever had. I am trying to figure out what works for me. I still have problems with pain but it is definitely better. I have to be careful I am not on my feet too much or I pay with pain and it is difficult to subside even with ice and elevation. PT is going well. The big problem I have had is it feels like I have a tight band of swelling at the top of my knee usually by the afternoon which affects my ROM. Hopefully this subsides soon. I have been reading posts with others having the same issue.

Here’s some information for you:

Sun catcher,
Re calf muscle. I have had a very good RTKR recovery standfast a hematoma in my calf did not note the dimensions from the ultrasound. This caused me more pain than the knee capsule itself. At times it was excruciating!!
I am at 4 mths and still have a mild sensation of discomfort in the calf.
Both my OS and GP were onto it early to ensure it was not DVT related.
It did not seem to respond paticularly to icing.
Unfortunately I had a skin lesion on this calf removed about a month ago and this limited my ability to massage.
In the end recovery seemed to follow the time honoured principle of patience.
I had no issues with my LTKR from 9 years ago.
The only anecdote is I am on Xarelto, and stopped 3 days before surgery!
Hope this helps!
Geoff

Sun catcher,
Re calf muscle. I have had a very good RTKR recovery standfast a hematoma in my calf did not note the dimensions from the ultrasound. This caused me more pain than the knee capsule itself. At times it was excruciating!!
I am at 4 mths and still have a mild sensation of discomfort in the calf.
Both my OS and GP were onto it early to ensure it was not DVT related.
It did not seem to respond paticularly to icing.
Unfortunately I had a skin lesion on this calf removed about a month ago and this limited my ability to massage.
In the end recovery seemed to follow the time honoured principle of patience.
I had no issues with my LTKR from 9 years ago.
The only anecdote is I am on Xarelto, and stopped 3 days before surgery!
Hope this helps!
Geoff
Thank you! Glad to hear you are healing! Patience has never been my virtue but I am learning.

7 weeks out now and doing so much better as far as pain. I still have to be careful how much I am on my feet and I ice and elevate frequently. I still get that tight band feeling but it happens a little latter in the day so that is good. I am a little concerned how much just below my knee hurts seems the tibia bone. Calf still is slightly tender with known hematoma but so much better. I had a lot of bone edema prior to surgery so maybe it just has not settled down. I continue to see improvement so that is what I focus on. I like reading all of the post to know I am not alone in this difficult recovery. Here’s hoping the New Year is a new beginning for all of us! :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

Still early days for you @Sun catcher ! You are doing really well. Swelling at this stage is totally normal. Lots of healing taking place.

Be sure to join us in the Community forums for our New Years Party. You can even bring a virtual snack. Here is a link to the forum were the party will be held. Community Room Hope to see you there.

Lateral release anyone? I am about 3 1/2 months out now. I am doing well but still having problems, I know this is a process. I can ride a bike for 40 minutes and I can walk in a pool. I cannot take a walk outside more than a 1/2 mile. I cannot walk down stairs normally and going up I can do but have discomfort. I get pain over kneecap and lateral knee. I saw the ortho and he said he might need to do a lateral release. I did not ask questions at that time because all I could think was NO at that time. I go back the beginning of April for a cortisone injection. Has anyone else experienced this and did the release help? I just do not understand the difficulty with weight bearing still? Sure I could stand to lose a few pounds but I am not obese. ROM is not an issue, I still get swelling over the top of knee but ice and elevation help.

@Sun catcher
The cortisone injection may help with the symptoms you are having so your knee can finish healing.
Has a PT showed you stretches for your ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments?
Don't forget ice and elevation after you walk, exercise, or get home from work.

Here is some information about Lateral release in a knee .

Your knee is only 4 months old and is still in the early months of healing, you may just need to give it time in this Yearlong+ recovery.

I had a lateral release done at the same time as my partial, because my operative report said my patella did not track properly during the surgery. I still have a lot of discomfort in that area, 4 years later.

Everything you mention above is par for the course at 3 and a half months post op, which is approximately 25% healed. You will improve as you heal.

I think it's way too early to think about a lateral release. As you heal your muscles and tendons will improve, tighten up, and become less painful, and you still have a whole lot of healing to do!

I had two lateral releases through the years and a medial release during my TKR. Those releases caused a lot of lingering pain. My TKR was healing well, but my medial area continued to hurt. I ordered my surgery report notes and read that I had had a medial release. That explained the extra pain.

Thank you Pumpkin! I thought it was my IT I have been doing stretches. I hope the cortisone helps. I will be waiting awhile before I do anything further.

Went to the ortho. I am having a lateral release in October. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. He feels very confident it will help. My patella is being pulled to tight to the lateral side.

Late update on my October 28th lateral release; I am overjoyed and have been relieved of a lot of pain. For the first week I walked around thinking “ oh my goodness, this is wonderful!”. I felt like a giant contracture had been released, which basically it was. I was terrified of the surgery because I was scared I could end up worse. I hope this helps someone considering such a dilemma. I wish I could have had the surgery sooner.

@Sun catcher ,
Happy to hear the Lateral Release helped you regain your pain free mobility.

Thanks for posting an update, other members will benefit from your sharing.

Would it be OK to add to your thread title "Lateral Release" so members searching for information can more readily find your thread?

@Sun catcher So glad you found relief with the lateral release. I am 11 weeks post op bilateral and I am having issues with my right patella not tracking. X-rays show it clearly to the lateral side. Surgeon agrees with physio that this should resolve with strengthening of the quads. Did you have a lot of "start up" pain ie: sitting for a period of time to standing and walking. I have significant pain under the patella that typically resolves with about 10 steps but continues longer at times.
I know I am still early in my recovery but at what time did you agree to do the lateral release?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back