TKR Surgery Done, Lateral Release!

Sun catcher

Country
United States United States
Surgery tomorrow, of course I am very nervous. Praying all goes well. I wish I could put it off but having trouble walking and a lot of pain.

I was nervous too but it all happened so fast and before I knew it I was in recovery. I kept putting my surgery off because I was scared but I'm so glad I did. 3 weeks in and I can walk without my cane for short distance and my range of motion is good. Pain is very minimal. You got this!!

@Sun catcher it is very normal to feel nervous and anxious, I think we all feel this way to a degree, I postponed my surgery as long as I could because I felt I was too young and my life would never be quite the same with an artificial hip, I am just a little past 4 weeks post-op and I am feeling great! I have no regrets thus far and my recovery has been going very well....for me the first two weeks we’re the most frustrating but it gets so much better after that it will be week 5 for me tomorrow and I am able to go without any walking aid inside the house, also back to normal activities but always keeping my restrictions in mind, sleeping has become so much better as well!
You’ve got this!!! I’m sending positive energy your way tomorrow, we will see you on the recovery side soon!

You won't look back after surgery. I have had both hips done this year and the pain I had before has gone and the pain after surgery is minimal. Make sure you rest and keep your pain meds up. If you have any troubles this forum is great for answers. All the best and take care ☺️

All the best tomorrow!
Here is a copy of the Recovery guidelines to help prepare you for your TKR.
Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thinking of you. Hope your able to sleep good tonight!!!!

I was nervous too but it all happened so fast and before I knew it I was in recovery. I kept putting my surgery off because I was scared but I'm so glad I did. 3 weeks in and I can walk without my cane for short distance and my range of motion is good. Pain is very minimal. You got this!!

Thank you! I needed to hear this!

Thank you all! I am home now I did great in the hospital and was not taking much for pain they had me in one of those ROM machines. I came home and have been icing and elevating ,laying flat with leg up, and still my knee swelled up like a balloon. Very painful. Hopefully it will settle PT is coming today I will see what they say. The hospital did give me great guidelines . The first week is to just walk 100 feet three times a day, and some exercise.

@Sun catcher Welcome to the other side. Ice while you are elevating. It will help decrease the swelling and pain. Easy does it with the exercise. That knee has been traumatised.

I changed your thread title for you. If you would like a different title just give a shout!

Hi All, surgery was on 11/9. I just want to thank everyone as I find it comforting to read everyone’s experiences. I came home Tuesday and did well. Wednesday and Thursday was all about pain control. I was more swollen even though I was Icing and elevating. I had my first PT on Wednesday he stated I am doing very well with great movement. That’s all fine but my knee was killing me. I am taking pain meds as directed. I was an ER, ICU nurse most of my life and we have swung so far the other way as far as pain management because we do not want anyone to become addicted it irritates me. There is no reason in the world to have to go through pain like that. That being said rant over. I think i am learning what works for me. The PT left yesterday and told me to do the exercises every three hours. I was so uncomfortable I just did ice, elevating, and walking around and finally had things settled later in evening. The PT comes again on Monday we will see how it goes because if I feel so flared afterwards I am not continuing with this PT. I have had multiple Orthopaedic surgeries and there is such a difference in PT’s kind of like Doctors. I hope everyone has a great weekend. Happy healing and thank you again!

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

@Suncatcher,

I feel your pain.

I totally agree with you about the pain meds. I am unable to take NSAIDs as I have diverticulosis and taking NSAIDS give me flare ups . In fact , in the last three months I have had three flare ups and one visit to ER ( I tried taking one ibuprofen , big mistake!) I am a long time healthcare worker myself and I believe a more thorough investigation of the patient’s medical background is needed by the Orthopedic Surgeon, and hospital staff. My PCP was never consulted by my OS which I think should be a must, if he did, he would have known what a fragile gastrointestinal system I have and how pain med responsible I am and maybe not take me off pain meds so soon. I wonder if surgeons realize the absolute agony some patients truly are in when they cut them off from needed pain medication! I am now seeking a pain management physician to help me control the pain I will get back to this forum when I have an give a full report.

The PT left yesterday and told me to do the exercises every three hours.
Three times a day is excessive. Once a day is fine. When you add your daily activities to that, you are getting plenty of exercise for that infant knee.

I was blessed to have a surgeon that never pushed PT. He gave me a prescription for it, which I threw away and never went. When I went for my 3 return checkups, all he wanted was to see what my knee would do. Never one question about PT! Of course, he knew I was a divorced lady that had to take care of myself, so obviously he trusted that I would not be just laying around all the time.

After 12 knee surgeries, I know that I do not need PT, and neither does anyone else if they do their own daily activities. My knee recovered just fine all on its own with only my daily activities. I didn't have the terrible swelling or agonizing pain that so many have after taking formal PT either, especially now since the pain meds aren't given out near long enough. I knew the Bonesmart way worked before Bonesmart was even thought of. My surgeries started in the early 80s and I never went to PT even back then. I just didn't see the need for it. Bonesmart was formed around 2004. By then I had already had 6 knee surgeries and rehabbed the Bonesmart way!

@Suncatcher,

I feel your pain.

I totally agree with you about the pain meds. I am unable to take NSAIDs as I have diverticulosis and taking NSAIDS give me flare ups . In fact , in the last three months I have had three flare ups and one visit to ER ( I tried taking one ibuprofen , big mistake!) I am a long time healthcare worker myself and I believe a more thorough investigation of the patient’s medical background is needed by the Orthopedic Surgeon, and hospital staff. My PCP was never consulted by my OS which I think should be a must, if he did, he would have known what a fragile gastrointestinal system I have and how pain med responsible I am and maybe not take me off pain meds so soon. I wonder if surgeons realize the absolute agony some patients truly are in when they cut them off from needed pain medication! I am now seeking a pain management physician to help me control the pain I will get back to this forum when I have an give a full report.
I will look forward to what you learn from pain management.

@Sun catcher take your time and do the PT as you see fit. They told me to do it every hour, well that didn't happen. I did what I could and pushed a little bit with the pain but not too much. My knee is still swollen but it's better than before and I'm a little over 4 weeks out. I still ice when I'm in pain and do exercises twice a day.

Thank you! I am glad to hear you are doing well , i need to hear this.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom