Revision THR 'Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning - Broke hip 5 weeks after replacement'

Hell! Just stopped by to see how you are healing and feeling? It’s still early days for you and hope you’re doing well.

Hi all, hope your all doing well in your recovery. 3 weeks post op tomorrow. Quick update on my progress. Any of you have heavy achy feeling in their legs? It’s driving me nuts along with restless leg syndrome at night. Maybe I’m not moving enough? It’s been so hot here I’m staying in the ac. I’m only using cane now and walk around the house without it as I keep putting it down and forgetting it. Sitting has gotten way more comfortable. My gait is getting a little better now that I have a lift in my shoe. Had my staples removed which was way more comfortable. Then two day later I am allergic to the steri strips and I broke out in blisters which are now healing. Look forward to hearing from you all. Happy Sunday. Finally a cool day today, may go out for a little walk. Healing hip power everyone

Hi @Sparkly ! Sounds like you are doing really well for only three weeks post surgery. I also suffer from restless legs syndrome and I would strongly recommend you try magnesium. It has worked wonders for me, pre and post op.

Overall you sound really well. Aching and heaviness in the legs is common, along with stinging, little jolts, etc. especially as early as you are in your healing.
No sleep! It’s the worst! Especially with restless legs, ugh.
It does get easier with time. You really are doing well.
Glad to see your update! :flwrysmile:

edited because my auto correct hates me

Last edited:
Hi Sparkly, Thanks for the update.
I'd also recommend Magnesium for the restless legs. Magnesium Glycinate is what I've used since unlike other forms it isn't known for its laxative properties.

Magnesium Glycinate supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Wondering who advised you put a lift in your shoe? Normally it is recommended you wait three to four month to see if the LLD eases and if it hasn't at that point get an accurate measurement from a trusted PT or Podiatrist . You should talk to your surgeon about this at your next visit, if you haven't already. Sometimes it's just a case of atrophied muscles.

Please be careful with the blisters as they sometimes become open skin. You don't want any of the bad guys entering in so close to your prosthetic. Have you been in contact with your surgeon's office and advised how to care for the area? If not, I'd contact them for instruction.

Maybe I’m not moving enough?

Check out the Activity Progression for THR and use it as a rough gauge to keep yourself on track.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Have a great week!
@Sparkly

Last edited:
Forgetting the cane at home is an excellent sign of progress. Take it easy with the walks and start with small strides. I found walking the best thing as it got me out of the house and a dose of vitamin D too by being outside which always boosts my mood. Hope it all continues to get better. Once the scar is up to it do consider getting a physio to do some massage to help release right muscles. It really helps.

Then two day later I am allergic to the steri strips and I broke out in blisters
Ive heard this several times here. @Barbaraj had a bout with this paehaps she can give you some good advice.

Sounds like you've got the meds under control. Don't overdo things! Take it easy and happy healing.

Hi, @Sparkly Happy Monday and, yes, @Calgal is right--I, too, suffered with those awful blisters, mine in reaction not to the steri-strips but to the glue strip they used to cover the incision. Frankly, it looked a lot worse than it actually felt. I was directed to remove the glue strip and just cover the area with a dry pad dressing until the blisters stopped oozing. It took over a week for that to happen, but now the blisters are gone and the skin (two inches around the incision it turned bright red and ugly) color is fading a bit back to normal skin tones. It was weird for me, this allergic reaction, as I've no allergies to anything so was greatly surprised when I was told what was going on. I can say that, in my experience, it caused me no discomfort and mostly it just looked awful. I hope that's the same with you and I'm assuming your doctor is advising you on an appropriate course of action. If my experience is the same as yours, you'll get some relief within a few weeks. It's just one more thing to cope with during recovery, that along with fatigue and heavy leg feeling--all of which WILL fade as recovery marches on. Have a good day--sounds like you're moving along nicely--keep up the good work!

@Layla, thank you. I did message my surgeon about the leg being longer, he said it will settle and that sometimes a lift is needed. So I got one to help balance me out because I seem way off even my pt guy said it. The surgeon didn’t say to use the lift now I just got it. Do you think it’s bad to use it now, should I wait till down the road? I have a really bad gait without it.

@Sparkly :hi:
I do think it may be a bit early for using a lift.
Just a few weeks out with the tightness and inflammation still present, it is indeed early days of recovery.
Here is some information about leg length differential. Click on this link.

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/leg-length-differential-lld.6173/

Tight hip flexors and soft tissue trauma resulting in swelling can certainly give one the impression they are off kilter.:sigh:
Hope you are still using an assisted device and consider asking your PT to assist you with your gait.
Mindful heal toe walking is the best PT for now and lots of rest and ice:ice:
Yep..
Still!:) :-) (:

Last edited:
@Mojo333 thank you I’ll take it out and wait and see what surgeon says at my 6 week appointment. My last home physical therapy is wednesday this week and my pt guy said last week he will be referring me to continue pt where they will concentrate on my gait, so that’s good. So weird cause even when I sit one op side knee is way out past the other.

I think this is wise...your OS can confirm LLD and a lift could certainly be prescribed.
I'm sorry it is causing you concern and a limp!
Hope today is a good day!
Healing hugs my hippy pal:flwrysmile:

Hi @Sparkly :hi:
Just dropping by to wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well.
Leave us an update when you have time and enjoy the holiday weekend!

Hi all, have been meaning to check in. All is good or as good as it can be lol I started driving last Thursday, let me tell you FREEDOM rules. Also my incision is all healed and was able to drive to the gym and use the req pool for walking and little feet kicking up and down the pool and some arm work. Let me tell you, while it feels like nothing doing it I was pooped afterwards both days. I see a new pt tomorrow morning which I am really excited about. I hope he can help with my gait/limp as any walking other than around the house causes my lower back to to act up. Still feel like my pelvis is out of whack. How is everyone doing or were doing at a month out??? Hope you all are progressing nicely

Sounds like you're doing pretty well, Sparkly.
A healed incision, driving, pool exercises. Curious about your meeting with PT yesterday.
Hopefully all went well. Keep in mind heel-toe walking for the limp, if you're not practicing it already.
Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
Hope you have a great holiday weekend!
@Sparkly

Pt went well, there is a definite 1.5 cm difference in leg length. He advised using half inch lift in shoe. Pelvis is a little bit rolled forward on left side. Gave me some new exercises to do. Never mentioned heel to toe, when walking just not to think about it and just walk, continue continue my pool walking etc. and to continue cane for 2-3 more weeks.

Hi @Sparkly I hope you're having a good week.
I'd be curious to hear what your PT's thoughts are on concentrating on heel-toe walking.

In regard to the LLD - It is often advised to wait 3-4 months before doing anything. Then, at that point speak with your surgeon, or a Podiatrist, to get an exact measurement of the LLD. Consider waiting this amount of time since it's often it's due to atrophied muscles which may strengthen as time progresses.

Have you purchased new shoes since surgery, or are you still wearing the old? It is advised you replace the shoes you wear most often as your frequently worn pre-op shoes have the old wear pattern which could affect your gait as it changes.
A great weekend to you!

Hi Sparkly seems like you are doing so well, driving, going to the gym and a mere 5 weeks. Hope the lift helps you with your gait. Sounds like there are people caring for you. Are you walking with a cane?

Glad to hear you're doing good. I still take my cane everywhere as I also have the lower pain start up. Take care.

Hello!! @Sparkly :hi:
I was thinking about you and thought I'd stroll over to your thread and see how you are doing? I think you are headed toward the 8th week post op.. would love to hear how it's going for you. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back