Revision THR 'Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning - Broke hip 5 weeks after replacement'

@Sparkly I might be in the minority here, but I think crying can be the best thing sometimes - we say “better out than in!” in my family. Did you know our bodies release endorphins when we cry? Endorphins are pain killers and mood elevators our bodies produce naturally. Tears wash away toxins that are the byproducts of stress - getting rid of those toxins is good. Crying even wears you out enough to sleep when you’re having trouble relaxing enough to drop off. I wouldn’t necessarily try to shut off the waterworks - they’ll dry up when you don’t need them anymore - and I would hate to see you short-change yourself on oxy when you still need pain medication for comfort. This, too, shall pass.

Just wanted to send you some ❤️ @Sparkly Agree 100% with @Ptarmigan “Out better than in.”

So sorry that you are in pain and feeling blue. The whole thing has been a lot for you and your body. Plus the weeks prior waiting for surgery. Let it all hang out here. This forum and lovely community of survivors is such a comfort. I did not like any of the narcotic drugs. I have normally low blood pressure and found they all made me dizzy and sick to my stomach. Maybe see if your PT can recommend a better sleep arrangement. Sleep cures so many things. Weepy feelings come from exhaustion mostly. Hope your daughter can come soon. Sending hugs. :console2:

Good morning all, I am feeling much better all around today, ok I know it’s only 8 am only woke once last night and fell straight back to sleep and didn’t wake till 5.30 then had to get up for the loo. My doc switched me from oxy to norco yesterday and I swear I have been much better. Pain wise and emotionally. Maybe it’s in my head but hey if it’s working that’s all that matters right? Pt is coming today and hopefully I get this dressing off my incision today it does look like there was some bleeding but hopefully it’s ok. I really hope pt can help me with the longer leg thing I’m feeling. Now if I could just find a comfortable chair in my house so I can work on my crafts I’ll be good. I feel like Goldilocks this ones too hard, this ones to soft, this one feels good for a few minutes and then no not this one. Hope your all doing good today?

Oh, that first week is so tough for most of us, @Sparkly! I think everyone can relate to your meltdown. I had one of my own on day four when I felt so miserable and hopeless and weepy. But the following day was better (and glad to read that is the case for you this morning) and while it's still a long and often bumpy road ahead, you WILL be feeling better as time goes by. Will it still feel like it's taking FOREVER to heal? Yup, but you will heal and things will be looking up by year's end. Glad new pain medication seems to be working better, for pain control and emotionally, and here's to a new day. We're all trudging along this recovery trail together, my friend, and we're all going to get to the end eventually. Hang in there!

Glad the new meds are helping better. Just remember there still be the blues at times. I just went through one last night myself. Take care.

Sparkly,

You are doing just right for a week - ice, walk, ice, walk, ice, walk ... :)

While everyone has different recoveries (I've done both hips now - first 20 years ago). I did ZERO PT in either case except basic exercises on the bed, and then standing. Very basic stuff. You can get in shape later - now you want to head and get the muscles knitted back around everything.

My recovery the second time was clearer - in my head - because the lesson I learned, and it was just my lesson - was to work diligently to decrease and then end narcotic usage as soon as possible. Tylenol at 4 G per day (1000 mg, 4 times a day). Could narcotics cause you to be more emotional? Absolutely.

My first time was woozy and fuzzy - so, one of my goals this time was to "know where the edge is" with regard to pain. I found the Tylenol was key to this.

A word of caution about using Tylenol: Do check any other medications you are taking (such as cold cures), to make sure there is no Tylenol (Acetaminophen) in them. If there is, reduce one of your regular Tylenol doses, so you stay within the safe daily limit of 4,000 mg in 24 hours.

Also, your regular doses should be taken about 6-hourly, never more frequently than 4-hourly.

Such beautiful eyes you had hiding behind those shades, Sparkly!
Happy to hear you slept well, your pain is easing and your mood has lifted. Very early days at only one week in, but they seem to move quickly. I'm glad today feels brighter. :SUNsmile:
Have a good one. :wave:
@Sparkly

@Sparkly glad you're having a better day, this recovery thing is sure tough work. I'm happy your doctor changed your pain meds and they seem to be helping. I don't do well on Oxy and much prefer Norco if I need pain meds for something heavy duty. Just keep that pain in check and stay on top of those meds. Finding the right place to plop can be a bit of an adventure, just try lots of pillows wherever you land.

“A word of caution about using Tylenol: Do check any other medications you are taking (such as cold cures), to make sure there is no Tylenol (Acetaminophen) in them. If there is, reduce one of your regular Tylenol doses, so you stay within the safe daily limit of 4,000 mg in 24 hours.“
Yes, they did tell me no other Tylenol products. While taking it. I’m taking 1, 5mg hydrocodone, every 6 hours, sometimes 5 hours if needed. Not to exceed 4000 mg in 24 hours. How much regular Tylenol would be good to take when done with hydrocodone? @Elf1 I too am very sensitive to meds and really don’t like taking them. Thanks all

1000 mg of Tylenol every six hours not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period.
Calculate in any other medications containing Acetaminophen so you don't go over the safe limit of 4000 mg per 24 hrs.

pt just left, removed my dressing put clean one on said wound looked great. Gave me new exercises to add. Said definitely leg is longer, but it can still settle with more weight bearing and suggested insole in shoes on opposite side. Not ready to switch to cane yet probably next week. Just continue getting up every couple of hours and walking to kitchen and loo. Don’t sit to long as foot can swell. Car would be way to uncomfortable right now. Sitting in chair for any length of time will become more comfortable as wound heals and everything knits back together and becomes strong. Position on bed is perfect for keeping swelling at bay. Emotional state is normal doesn’t think it’s drugs. Very common and the release is healing as it releases endorphins. No pool till after doc clears me at 6 weeks.

This all sounds great @Sparkly ! You are obviously doing everything right and making good progress. Your pt has given you plenty of good advice there - totally in line with the Bonesmart advice too!
I know how hard it is to be patient and also how easy it is to automatically think that something is wrong as soon as a new problem appears.
Relax - you are doing really well! :SUNsmile:

@Sparkly Reading your forums. Hip surgery is a day to day experience. I never know what's coming next good or bad, but gotta go with it.
You changed your picture....I like it. It's very nice to see you up close....

Hi all, hope your all doing well today? Are any of you very uncomfortable sitting. Like even sitting on the edge of the bed? I have to stand immediately because it’s so uncomfortable. Any suggestions? Is it that the muscle is tight from lying propped up on bed? I want to have some friends come by for visits but right now 10-15 min would be maximum I could sit.

Ok ladies, who is itchy around the incision site? Day 6 and my bandaid thingy is still on. Looks gross huh? can’t wait for it to come off this week.
Mememe! I had itchies with all four "giant incision" surgeries I've had, and with one I had "crawlies". I've been told it means it's healing.

Yup, @Sparkly, sitting is hard and standing is hard--it's all hard, and part of the slow recovery process. I feel myself stiffening up when I sit for very long, and I feel as if my back and thigh seize up when I stand, requiring me to slowly stand up, pull my stomach in and my shoulder back, and release the tension/stiffness in my thigh before I take a step. Having gone through one recovery with much the same problem, I will say that things will ease up as you continue healing and the swelling goes down and your muscles get stronger. But for the first few months, as I recall, that stiffness and soreness were present and only eased up slowly. But you're going to get there, @Sparkly, never fear! Chin up and have a good Friday.

Hi Sparkly, sitting on the bed is uncomfortable. I don't believe it's even advised. If your talking about sitting just as you're attempting to get up, that's one thing, but just sitting to rest or relax isn't ideal. I was told to sit on firmer surfaces of which a bed wouldn't be included. I was most comfortable on a recliner, or padded dining chair.

Let your friends know that you can visit with them as long as they don't mind you sitting and also walking intermittently while they're there. I'm sure they'll understand.
Wishing you a great weekend!
@Sparkly

@Layla, I sit on a kitchen chair when I am up for a few minutes throughout the day. But otherwise resting, icing and putting leg up all on the bed PT guy said it was a good position propped up with pillows . I don’t have a recliner. Haven’t attempted my couch yet as I had trouble getting off of it before surgery. Getting antsy to move around more though lol but the hip says no, no we are done for now.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson