TKR Surgery Done August 10th, 2022

Bunnyhead

Country
United States United States
So I finally had my ltkr done yesterday. Been working on this since May,2022. Arrived at the Hospital 8/10/2022 at 5 am. Had surgery at 7:30 and was discharged at 3:00pm. I had nerve blocks, spinal, and sedation. All went well I am sitting with ice machine on leg and propped up on pillows. I am taking my oxycodone, antibiotics, aspiran, lyrica, and Tylenol. I am comfortable and able to walk around pretty good with the walker and get to the bathroom. I did get a toilet riser, but we have the higher toilets and I don't really need it. All in all I think I am doing pretty good.

Attachments

• 20220811_102518.jpg
    20220811_102518.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 123
Hi @Bunnyhead and :welome: to this side of the recovery. You did it!

Be sure to stay ahead of your pain by taking your meds as prescribed for the next while (you decide if that's days or weeks). Staying ahead of the pain is way better than trying to calm it down once it's out of control. I'm not sure if they discussed that when your nerve block wears off, you'll have some discomfort. Don't be alarmed, just keep icing and elevating if that's comfortable.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access to these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Closure

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

Good for you, Bunnyhead! I’m a week out and doing pretty well.Even though I had a prior TKR 11 yrs ago, I forgot about the pain once the pain blockers wear off. Nothing to be scared about, just have your battle plan with meds, icing, elevating and rest. For me this time, there only a few episodes where I really struggled with the pain but use all your “tools” and you’ll get through it. Congrats on your surgery, now you can heal!

Attachments

• 5AA497B9-E046-4A96-A295-801F261A030C.jpeg
    5AA497B9-E046-4A96-A295-801F261A030C.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 127
I am at 2 days out since my surgery pain, stiffness, and swelling has kicked in. All to br expected I guess. Been taking meds and sleeping and eating a little bit. I go to PT on Monday 8/15. I prop my foot up and ice knee but after a couple
hours i need to take it down and sit normally for a bit.i have ice machine and gel pads from the hospital.

Changing positions is good. Whatever works to keep you as comfortable as you can be.

Hi, @Bunnyhead! My right TKR was done 12 days ago (August 1). Yesterday my surgeon said I'm doing great, but to go to outpatient PT 2 to 3 times/week for 6 weeks (I'm doing home PT at the moment).

I'm only mentioning this because my surgeon actually used the word "torture" to describe the O/P therapy. This is my second knee and I learned the hard way last time that I'll never let any PT torture me again. I'll also go for PT as long (or as short) as it continues to be helpful. For some reason, too many surgeons and PTs out there believe that infliction of pain via PT is essential to full TKR recovery. Gentle, gradual PT, I think, is the way to go. Good luck with your PT on Monday!

Hi @Bunnyhead :flwrysmile:. You mentioned back in @possum_here 's pre-op thread that you were taking stool softeners and eating prunes to help "move things along". May I recommend Smooth Move tea by Traditional Medicinals. You can find it in most grocery stores. A mug or two of that per day really helped me while I was taking oxy.

IMG_0040.jpeg

Hi @Bunnyhead :flwrysmile:. You mentioned back in @possum_here 's pre-op thread that you were taking stool softeners and eating prunes to help "move things along". May I recommend Smooth Move tea by Traditional Medicinals. You can find it in most grocery stores. A mug or two of that per day really helped me while I was taking oxy.

IMG_0040.jpeg
I have not seen that one but maybe the health food store here may have it. Thank you for your kind thoughts.

You can also get it on Amazon.

It works great - better than any stool softener.

Day 3 after tlkr....I am getting around better with my walker, pain is a little less.....I am still taking the oxycodone every 4-6 hrs and Tylenol every 8 hours. I am continuing to ice which helps the most. The swelling looks minimal with some bruising. It's still rough but I think I am doing ok....but don't want to get ahead of of my self. Using a lot of suggestions I got on this site. So grateful for that.

IMG_0040.jpeg
Thank you...I may try this.

4 days out now.....just had some breakfast and took morning meds. I am very, very, sore this morning, swelling is about the same and I am able to walk around det my pills , get something to drink, use the bathroom...that kind of thing. I think incision looks good and swelling to be expected. I am camped out on sofa going between sitting up and laying down. PT is tomorrow...see doctor on Thursday.

I am very, very, sore this morning
Be careful not to over-do it, especially when you go to PT tomorrow. Remember, YOU are in charge of your recovery. Don't let them do anything to you that hurts. These are very early days for you and your main focus right now is healing, not crazy exercises. Also, keep taking your pain meds on schedule and don't take anything extra in anticipation of pain at PT, you could over-do it and not know it. Ice, ice, baby! :ice:

Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted!

I felt the same way 4 days out, it almost scared me the amount of swelling, pain, stiffness. I also got woozy often and would quick need to sit down. BUT, the intensity of those symptoms started to decrease the next day. The icing, elevating and meds can get you through those periods. My outlook about it all changes daily but improves daily too. for you. Martha (RaeRae1.)

IMG_0040.jpeg
I have not seen that one but maybe the health food store here may have it. Thank you for your kind thoughts.
I got it at Target.

Marie

IMG_0040.jpeg
I got it at Target.

Marie
Thank you....I will have to try this. I did have some success yesterday.

5th day after ltkr .Went to my first Pt today. I don't want to go back!!!!!!!!!
Nothing too rough...but man am I sore.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts