THR Surgery December 29, 2022

jefrench

Country
United States United States
Hello,
Getting my right hip replaced this Thursday the 29th. My left hip was replaced in Oct. 2018.
I'm pretty nervous as I was since diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in 2021 and I'm worried what if any challenges it may cause.
Thanks for listening!

@jefrench Welcome To BoneSmart! You can use the search function here to look for threads that mention RA. There are quite a few such threads. Have you discussed this concern with your surgeon? I don't think the RA will impact the hip replacement per se, though you may experience more difficulty getting the muscles around the hip back into shape. And it would be in your best interests to take things slowly and do not allow any PT person to force your hip.

Since you are so close to having your surgery I am leaving the post op links and suggestions rather than the pre op ones.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Wishing you all the best tomorrow. I hope you'll join us on the Hip Recovery forum when you're resting comfortably and feeling up to it. You'll find lots of support there. Hope to see you soon!
@jefrench

I'm nervous but know it's for the best.
Just keep busy today. We'll be with you all the way. See you on the other side soon!

Best wishes for a smooth surgery and a good start to a great recovery. Agree with staying busy. Let your care team know how you’re feeling and anything that you might need. That’s what they’re there for!

Good luck today

:wave: @jefrench
Just wondering how recovery is going...these first weeks can be tough:groan:
Hope you are doing well and might start a recovery thread so we can check in on you.
Hope your Friday is chilled. :ice:

Hello!
I'm doing well, thank you for checking in on me! I'm only taking Tylenol and Meloxicam for pain which has been minimal. I'm able to walk around the house without the cane. However I do use it while walking outside the house. My husband and I are going to go for a short trip to the grocery store tomorrow.
I had Left THR (Superpath) in 2018 and this time around has been much smoother and a lot less pain. The Dr. Said I had a lot of inflammation with my left side so my incision was much bigger. (60 staples).
So all and all I'm very pleased with my recovery so far

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom