• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

surgery Dec 11

TTBONE

Country
United States United States
Hi all was wondering how long you would be off if you have a partial knee replacement?

Helizabug

Country
I’ve been off my rocker for a long time . . . Ouch, it hurts to laugh at such a bad joke. I can’t wait to see the serious, helpful answers.

Tykey

big-cheese
I assume you meant being off work, TTBone.
The answer depends to a large extent on what job you do.
There's a huge variation, but a partial is no quicker than a full knee replacement.

NFenske

Country
As others have said depends on your job. If you are on your feet quite a bit well it maybe awhile. If this is your first partial and once again depending on your job 3 months maybe. Trust me if you decide you have been home long enough and go back too soon your knee will let you know in no uncertain terms. Trust me you cannot rush your recovery all you can do to help is do your best at PT ice and elevate when it hurts take pain meds as described. Your recovery will be much quicker then mine my revision is 2 days after your partial.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Are you having a PKR or TKR, @TTBONE ? And which leg is it? If you'll tell us that, we will add it to your signature.

I see, from your 2014 threads,that you had a very physical job. If you still do, you should expect to take at lest 12 weeks off work, maybe even longer. You'll need to take just as long whether you have a TKR or a PKR. Recovery is no faster for a PKR.

If your surgeon is contemplating doing a PKR, do make sure that he/she is prepared to do a TKR instead, if he/she finds that your knee is in worse shape than expected - otherwise you could end up needing a Revision to a TKR in quite a short period of time.

One other thing: Recovery from a knee replacement is usually harder than recovery from a hip replacement.
TKR or THR: which is more difficult surgery for recovery?

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I agree with Celle; plan on at least 12 weeks off; if you recover enough to go back sooner, that'll be great, but if not, you've planned for a longer recovery so there'll be no shock in needing the longer time. If it were me, and the OS agreed, I'd opt for a total rather than a partial. I've seen too many people who've opted for a partial only to need a total very soon after as the arthritis spreads into the other areas. And I only know of one or two people who had a partial that lasted long enough to have made it worthwhile to go for the partial. It does happen, but I've not seen or heard of many.

OP
OP
TTBONE

TTBONE

Country
I’m a respiratory therapist , I’m on my feet all day with hardly a break. I did 7 miles the other day and came home crying in pain. My knee is swollen with an effusion and my limp is bad. I told work 6 weeks but have no idea. My Dr. said he would be ready for an TKR if I need it.

Top Bottom