TKR Almost time

moondove

Country
United States United States
Hi all.
I’m scheduled for surgery March 2. I’m getting pretty nervous. It’s been so long that this is needed, but now that’s it’s a week away I’m starting to panic. Tell me it’s all going to be ok!!

had general anesthesia and a femoral nerve block administered in the upper thigh area.

I admit I’m a little freaked out by the nerve block. Is it bad/painful? Do they do it while you are in pre surgery and awake or in the operating room? I’ve had five spinal blocks for csections and they aren’t my favorite but I’ve lived. Is it worse or easier than that?

Hi moondove I will have my RTNR on March 3 I am also very nervous, but I don't want to continue this way I feel my quality of life is affected since I can't walk for long or do up or down stairs I too have my panic moments let's have faith we are both going to be fine.

I’m with you on that! I can’t keep going like this. I’m glad to meet you and have a surgery partner next week!

I’m doing my left first so we shall have a matching pair it seems

As I read some of the threads here I learned a lot but must confess that it also scared me but we must trust are doctor and keep in mind everyone is different, it will be tough but we can do this let's keep in touch.

I had a block/ catheter - the ON-Q system. It was a very thin tubing (less then the thickness of a standard pencil lead). Right before surgery they rolled me into a room where they prepped my upper thigh, and had a monitor to track the insertion of the tubing (catheter) into upper thigh.

It was similar to getting an IV attached via the arm. Not overly painful. They used a screen similar to an ultra sound to check that the cath. was properly inserted.

The actual pump was a small medicine inflated rubber ball (the size of a large orange) tubed OUTSIDE my leg that forced the medicine into my system by way of the ball getting smaller over a period of four /five days post surgery.

The hospital anesthesia team called me daily to make sure it stayed in place and to take a reading from a dial that was part of the apparatus.

The med-ball was kept in a over the shoulder sling/ bag. Sometimes it dropped out, but never dislodged as it was well taped. I worried about removal day, thinking I'd have this huge increase in pain. I didn't and was still on my Tylenol rotation.

I was a little freaked out to remove it myself! But once the ball went flat (five days post surgery) it was time. The removal process was just a gentle tug and out it came.

Last edited:
Thank you LD of Michigan for that info. That helps me feel less scared about it. Sounds like it will really help with pain control!

I admit I’m a little freaked out by the nerve block. Is it bad/painful? Do they do it while you are in pre surgery and awake or in the operating room?
Mine was done pre-surgery right before I was taken back to OR. The anesthesiologist came in and explained what he was going to do. He told me he would give me some 'happy juice' before. All I remember was them bringing the ultrasound in and giving me something in my IV. I was awake but don't remember what it felt like at all. So for me it was no big deal at all. I vaguely remember them wheeling me into the OR and transferring to the operating table. I was concerned about it as well but it was nothing.

Just read LD of Michigan....mine was different as I didn't have a cath in place. Whatever was used for the block just wore off on day 3. These surgeons seem to all use different protocols for everything.

caredFL thanks for replying! I hope mine goes as smooth - I will gladly accept happy juice haha.

Being nervous is a very normal part of this surgery. As a matter of fact, if you weren't nervous, that would be abnormal.....:heehee: But soon, it'll be behind you and you'll be recovering and looking forward to getting your life back.

I've had both generals and spinal anesthesia, and I will never again have GA if given the choice. I chose a spinal with deep sedation for my revision, and am so glad I did. With GA, I always had major problems with nausea; it took me, on average, 4 hours in the recovery room to be alert enough to be taken to my room, and during that time they always had to constantly tell me to breathe as the monitors went off constantly, meaning I wasn't breathing well enough. They had to give me masses of different anti-nausea meds before, during and after to keep me from non-stop vomiting, and so on. With the spinal, I woke right away, was totally alert and had no issues with breathing, nausea, or grogginess. I went to my room in about 20 minutes or so, and was fully awake and alert with no residual after effects from a general.

With the deep-sedation spinal, I chose to be totally out, which is the only way I would do any surgery, as there's no way I would ever want to wake during the surgery and see or hear any part of it. Mine was done right before the surgery, in the operating room, along with an epidural for pain control after (I can't take any narcotic pain meds do to my crazy body's reactions to them, so they have to use differing forms of pain control for me). I would say it was uncomfortable having them put in, but knowing what they were for made it easily bearable.

I also had a pain ball for almost a week after they removed the epidural on day 3 or 4, and that took care of any pain. The one I had was basically the same as the On-Q, just a different brand. I was very lucky that after I removed the pain ball I had no significant pain, but that's very unusual. Most people will continue to have pain for a while, and will be given prescriptions for pain meds. I'd spend some time with my OS asking what he does specifically for pain control, and what options you'll have.

Moondove - I’m right behind you on the 16th with bilateral TKR. We can cheer each other on. Like you, I’m scared too , esp the closer it gets. Trying to get everything ready - seeing that walker sitting in my living room is sure a reminder

I don’t remember the nerve block.mi was in pre op, anesthesiologis came in and did it there. My husband said I called him a person lol!

good luck!

I really didn’t suffer with the anesthesia either. I felt comfortable because of the sedation. And I remember talking to people in the anesthesia room and the OR. But I actually don’t remember the nerve block itself. More than 12 weeks have passed, and I just realized that I must have been semi conscious when gave me the nerve block, but I don’t remember it bothering me. It can’t have been too bad for me, I guess.

Thank you all! I feel very reassured. I know they try to make us comfortable so I will do my best to trust in that.

@moondove I had a nerve block with sedation. The worst part of the entire operation was putting in the IV. That was nothing. I mentioned to the anesthesia team I was uncomfortable about the nerve block. They knocked me out just before we entered the OR. I don't remember anything till I woke up in recovery. Just keep thinking about living life WITHOUT knee pain!
Best of luck!
Rick

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member