BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Surgery day approaching quickly

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Petlover1, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Petlover1

Petlover1 new member

United States United States
    Hello fellow pre-op patients! I am now scheduled for the first hip replacement surgery on August 6. Quite a lot to do, I live alone and am trying to get things in order before anyone shows up at my home. I have my many pets so the biggest worry was finding a time when my pet sitter would be available. It’s so hard to keep the house clean as I am in constant severe pain and just don’t have the ability to really clean and then the emotional toll leaves me worrying “what will they think?” I used to tell my mother when she worried about the house being spotless that visitors like work men are coming to do the job not evaluate your house keeping but now I find myself getting the same obsessions myself! I am getting very nervous as the day draws near but not so much of the surgery but whether I will get to everything I need to. My diagnosis is hip dysplasia, bone on bone arthritis, torsion of the hips, but for all the fancy terms the treatment is a total hip replacement. I guess I was never found when they do the hip click test in babies, never had pain as a child but have always had loose hips they seemingly popped out of alignment and continue to do so now but now it’s painful and “creepy” when I am standing and all of a sudden I feel them snap out. Can’t be dislocation I wouldn’t be spontaneously popping the hip back in if that were the case! For all this preoperative agony I have endured I am expecting post op should be nothing in comparison!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Hello, @Petlover1 ! My RTHR is August 5, so we’ll be recuperating together, side by side in the virtual world of BoneSmart! I am sure the site moderators will be along shortly to welcome you with good wishes and valuable information. I can’t recommend this site highly enough, and feel so much better prepared for my surgery and my recovery because I have had all of these posts to read and digital friends to educate me.

I wonder whether now might be a good time for you to start reaching out to friends and family - or possibly caregiver help if that’s a possibility - to see you through this month or three around the surgery. I live with DD and DH, and they’ve already started doing the housework and cooking I usually do, and they’ll be doing even more after August 5. I see you’re thinking about visitors (Therapists? Nurses? Company?). Can your budget stretch to hire a caregiver to do a thorough clean just before your surgery? That might put your mind at ease. You’ll know the best way to sort this out, of course. I will just say that I believe it’s a great time to ask less of yourself, and think about relying on those who care for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hello, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
    Please leave which hip will be replaced below and the info will be applied as your signature along with your August 6th date.

Consider enlisting the help of family, friends, or a cleaning service to help you tidy up and organize your home enough so that you're comfortable while in early recovery. You'll need room to move around and a clear path to navigate from bedroom, to living room, to bath and kitchen. I think you'll feel more at ease going into recovery if you're not stressed with clutter and disorganization. You'll feel more relaxed when company, PT or visiting Nurses stop by.

Following is some reading material that you may find interesting as you await your big day.
    Stop back often. You'll love the support, encouragement and commaraderie found here.
    Wishing you comfort. Brighter days are on the way! :SUNsmile:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries

@Petlover1

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

Welcome to BoneSmart. This is the place to be both before and after hip surgery. I still marvel at all the caring people from around the world that post to our threads and offer helpful suggestions and support. I think deep down we all wonder what others think when they come to our home but I always try to think they are stopping by to help me or visit and not to judge my housekeeping. Somehow you need to find a way not to stress yourself out about the condition of your home. Overdoing with cleaning is not a good idea as it further stresses your already deteriorated joint and tires you out more. It is much better to go into this surgery well rested.

Try to use any energy you have to prepare your home and yourself for surgery and recovery. You need to have ice packs on hand and food that is quick and easy to prepare. Maybe you can freeze some ready made meals that just need to be heated. If you don’t cook much, you can buy ready made meals in the store. Read both prop and recovery threads here on the forum and you will learn lots about the things others find most helpful during their recovery. And keep posting so we can all offer our support and Add our “two cents” worth of advice. We all love to give advice!! :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    They won't think anything. You will be recovering from major surgery. You need to focus on healing and getting your mobility back. If this means you need to hire a cleaner or ask for help from friends or relatives so be it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

A clean house is overrated, it's not dirty it's just proof that someone lives there. The big prep is to make it trip proof. Getting around post op can be tedious and falling is a no-no. Post op isn't about pain, it's about patience and staying upbeat about recovery. It takes a while to recover and aside from this forum most will tell you how you should be running 5k races by 2 mos.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

A friend once told me that people come to see you and not your house. She was elderly, her house not spotless but so warm for visitors and family that she always had interesting people stopping by and visiting and sitting for hours talking. I stayed with her for a few months when I was in my thirties and she was in her late 60s and I never really noticed how clean or not because of the warmth of the person. Most people understand that you will be recovering and cannot do things and certainly and nurse or PT coming to your house will definitely not notice but will be concentrating on you.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Petlover1

Petlover1 new member

Hello Again, Thank you all for the information, advice and virtual companionship! This is so encouraging and since we all share the same problems and experiences I feel I can rely on your words in this day of onlookers who suddenly feel they are experts but have never had this problem! Just like Eman wrote about others expecting you will run 5k races at two months (and come in first!!) I get this now from my sister who said “mom had a bad hip and she never complained of pain” of course she never was around so wouldn’t know of how much pain mom had. Reading others experiences and advise here is a fabulous resource and I thank you all once again. After posting I couldn’t find my post until just now I noticed I had reminders that I received replies. I will look for a cleaning company to try and get just a little help, nothing heavy duty but I will feel much better knowing it’s picked up a bit! Dusted! I don’t know why these hip problems made me so tired possibly that I don’t sleep well at night, I have to get up and move a little every couple hours or it feels like everything will rust and leave me completely unable to move! I hope you are all having better, pain free days!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Petlover1 Exhaustion is real, the arthritic hip seems to rob us of any quality sleep, doesn't it? I kept comforting myself that I soon would get to snooze, even during the day, post op!
    Good for you, thinking about a cleaning service.. anything that is affordable and keeps your mid at ease is a good thing.
    Did you have time to read through the links that Layla left for you? T?he recovery aides and the other hips recoveries should help you, too.
    The last several days go past rather quickly, well, it did for me.. I hope it does for you, too.
    Your pets will know you are under the weather when you are home post op. My yellow lab still watches over me and sleeps right beside my bed/ guarding me and the cat has been very solicitous and that's not her usual normal state of being.

:meow: :rotfl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Petlover1

Petlover1 new member

Yes the exhaustion is very bad, and when others don’t understand and make comments it leads to more pain to add to the physical which is more than I can handle already. I did indeed read through the recovery links and it is so helpful and calming. I have been busy with pre operative preparations, went to an educational session, been gathering needed durable medical equipment, returning phone calls that of course have left for the day so I can spend my time worrying. The hospital called and offered a pre op home safety inspection. I thought for a short visit I will comply, but was told they need the entire afternoon and I just don’t have that time and honestly don’t have the energy or desire to have strangers looking through my house. I mentioned that I was self conscious already because I just don’t have the ability to clean like I want to, and when told they would make recommendations and if I don’t agree to change my home to their recommendations this would be reported to my surgeon. This nurse sounded very unhappy that I politely declined and today the surgeons receptionist told me he was told I declined and will not do the surgery ifI don’t agree. They never said it was mandatory and I am so upset over this I don’t think I should go into surgery with a “team” that has upset me like this. I had absolutely no problems with anyone before today and am wondering what could this nurse have said that the surgeon is now blackmailing me! I was told he isn’t even in the country and am having serious doubts. Maybe I should cancel before I have a terrible experience that can’t be helped then. I just thought better days are near and looks like they aren’t, But it will just mean a much longer delay, there are many surgeons and other hospitals who would accept new patients so this will become a second opinion which is always a good thing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Petlover1 I think you should just let them come and take a look at your home. Please don't worry about how clean your house is. That's not the issue. They are looking for trip hazards and area where you might need equipment like a raise toilet seat.

Please don't cancel your surgery. Life will look a lot more positive once you get rid of this horrid hip pain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CricketHip

I am sorry to read your post and I can feel your concerns.. it will be okay, maybe if you can focus on the fact that this is all being executed to help you? Would that help? I am guessing their concerns are based on the fact that you live alone.
    You will be relieved once the visit is complete, at least that is how I feel after something like that, and then wonder why I was so upset about it.
    It's difficult to see things clearly when you are in such pain.. I hope you agree and get on with your surgery.. hugs to you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

I read somewhere where we can control how we react but we cannot control how others react. So the choice is yours. It IS hard but if you had a toilet overflow would you not want a plumber in your home to fix it rather than live with it? Many times we have strangers in our home.

I had to answer an after surgery questionnaire that addressed safety concerns.. If I had lived alone there would have been a house visit.. It may be common among some surgery practices.

They aren't looking for trouble. They are looking to keep you out of trouble. If there is something that needs to be changed chances are they have the resources to help. You do not have to endure this alone.

That your surgeon is out of the country now can be a positive.. Mine was too before my TKR.. He came to surgery rested and tanned and did a great job.. Surgeons need time off too.

Remember no one has the mission to make you upset..

I am bewildered at the need for the whole afternoon.. Perhaps the visit would be short but they could not give you a specific time other than the afternoon as they have other visits to make. Some of our service technicians give that maddeningly broad time frame for a 15 minute visit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Petlover1

Petlover1 new member

Hello all! Thank you so much for your excellent advise, and Everything you mentioned proved to be exactly the case! It is true the other staff members were unable to understand why an entire afternoon would be needed. And when the person requesting I allow the visit said an entire afternoon is needed and things will be looked through with a fine toothed comb I had visions of them pulling everything out of my closets and drawers as if I were under investigation for some crime! They did have a nurse call who was very nice, calming and reasonable. Entire visit was about an hour and might have been shorter but the nurse was very nice to talk to. I am exactly a week post op today and so relieved of that horrific pain on the left side that now the right ( unoperated yet) side is what I regard as my “bad leg” The Relief of that pain alone makes me almost euphoric. Thank you to all, I think the way I felt preoperatively made me hypersensitive and I am glad I didn’t just react and cancel the entire thing! Would have just hurt myself anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CricketHip

Wonderful news! Oh my goodness, what a relief for you.
    You are correct about our feelings getting all hyped up and sensitive.
    Pain and worry has the ability to do that.
    Your update is so uplifting, congratulations for mustering through and soon we will see you posting on the recovery side! :flwrysmile:

Edited for spelling error

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019