THR Surgery date 6th jan

Hi, @Argee
This physical and emotional journey you are on is one many members have travelled, so don't feel alone.
Please re-read some of your recovery articles given to you at the beginning of your thread. You tap on the blue highlighted portions to get to the articles. Sorry if you already new this but I was "forum challenged" before Bonesmart and with my foggy post op brain...I got much more out of them weeks later. Particularly this article.

Now is not the time to do without your meds or worry about PT exercises like leg lifts...walking is better and easier on still healing muscles.
This too will pass.
Healing hugs coming your way.

I so understand your wish to drive etc. It's a bit of cabin fever creeping in too at this point, especially if you have been quite active before. I was a UK based posterior THR also. My surgeon saw me at 6 weeks and cleared me to try driving then. I assume you have a manual transmission car. it takes longer to have enough strength in both legs to drive a manual. Folks in the states often have automatic cars so you may read about them driving earlier, depending on which hip was replaced. The key is can you do an emergency stop safely? Although I was cleared at 6 weeks I think I waited another week since I was a right THR and just sitting in the car seat (seat belt connection - ouch!) was uncomfortable. But boy, what a free feeling when you finally do drive! Like being 16 again! :driver:

@Calgal . Hi yes I’m going to wait the full six weeks. I have an automatic car and as it was my left hip which had surgery it will be easier to drive. My concern is getting in and out. It’s a small two seater and the seats are low. I’m not even going to try to get in it yet as I don’t want to risk any pain. I had a technique before I had surgery but it was very painful. Once in , it was fine.....heated seats are sooooo good. But I’m scared now if I get in, that I won’t get out! I’ve not had any problems being a passenger in other cars but none have had low seats.
three weeks and 3 days post op........I can come down stairs normally but can only go up one at a time. i Can get my knee to lift as high as put my foot down but very slowly .....and Leg feels wobbly when trying to take weight doing operated hip first. So I’m standing at the bottom and doing knee lifts to get my foot on the step with ease first. Getting a home pedicure arranged to cheer me up.

Hurrah for the pedi! Makes us feel so pampered. Careful of any cuts though! Infection risk is higher for a few months, per the nurse that did my incision check and removed steri strips at 2 weeks.

Re car seats, I bought a memory foam cushion off amazon which was a godsend, but be sure to measure your seats first to be sure any cushion fits. My car had bucket type seats and the bits that came up on each side meant my first cushion was too big for car, but I used it at restaurants and on our office chair at home (still!). Search for 'seat cushion'. We actually ended up selling that car (a Ford estate) as it was quite old, swapping for a SUV type which sat higher with more comfy seats. The new one is much easier for me and hubby (TKR) to get into and out of. I still go in butt first and then swing both legs in, knees together, 'queen style'. No jumping in one leg first which requires twisting hip with legs spread anymore! :bignono:

But I’m scared now if I get in, that I won’t get out!
Ps, that's why waiting 6 weeks might be best as you've got 90,degree restrictions which are easy to break bending over getting in and out of cars.

You will probably be good at 6 weeks @Argee I tried getting into my little 2 seat sports car (Honda S2000) at 6 weeks and it was easier than it had been in years. As Calgal said I sit and then bring in both legs, something that had been difficult and painful for a long time before THR. It sure feels good to get that part of your life and independence back. :driver:

Hello @Argee

Welcome! Sorry you are feeling blue. I am only a few days ahead of you. Also left hip, My husbands car is lower to the ground. I did try riding in it around week 3 and it really hurt. The only car I feel comfortable in at 5 weeks is an SUV. Getting in and out at 6 weeks should prove a little bit easier.

Try to keep your legs together as much as possible. Move them as one unit rather than one at a time. I do think extraction is harder for some reason. The first few weeks if driving try to limit how many stops you make. I only go one place and then come home. It’s a lot of contorting and new hips like to be babied. You will get there. It really can try patience but you are making progress. :flwrysmile:

Four weeks post op ....
-a little stiffness on getting out of bed in the morning but quickly gets better.

-I can walk around the house with no stick but take it with me when venturing outside. I don’t think I am limping but if there is even slight pain then I will use the stick.

-I have a bit of tightness behind the knee on bending. It’s less than it was two weeks ago but still there. Sometimes a few twinges in thigh but think that’s the healing taking place.

-Getting in and out of cars as a passenger is fairly easy and sticking to correct way..no twisting. No driving until 6 week check with OS......frustrating but nearly there.

-Bending to load laundry and dishwasher no problem but not as far as the floor yet. Not attempted to tie shoelaces. Can’t yet put socks on without aid. Hate socks anyway.....

-still using elevated toilet seat but will probably do without this by the end of this week. Still finding the chair provided by occupational therapist the most comfortable one and will keep this for another week before sending it back. Putting the foot out before sitting is now a habit and makes sitting very easy.

-Steps per day average between 4000 - 5000. This is mainly walking around the house and maybe 25 mins outside. doing leg slides, knee lifts throughout the day. Can manage stairs one after the other on descent and can do this on ascent for half a flight before reverting to one at a time. This is increasing though. I have no desire to do any more physio but I might try gentle swimming next week. I don’t want to get on my bike yet....it’s winter and cold. I’m happy walking!
-Pain is minimal and managed by 1000mg paracetamol twice a day. Still taking blood thinner tablet for one more week.......I think this makes me feel light headed at times.

-Sleep is different every night....some good...some not and still sleeping on back. better When propped up a bit and having lots of pillows around is cozy and makes me feel safe. Got a super king bed to myself as hubby snores in another room......bliss.

-this time last week I was very depressed after feeling so sore when I rolled over in bed and having pain on leg lifts and all I could think about was that there was no progress etc. I cried a lot and sometimes wished I had not had the operation. Luckily I have lots of family and friend support but also I would have been lost without Bonesmart. Netflix helped too.
today I feel happier and pleased with the progress. I have calmed down my impatience and accepted that healing takes time and what’s the rush anyway?

I am flying to Lanzarote in 8 weeks time with my youngest daughter (14) and all I want to be able to do is do a bit of walking , swimming and lazing in the sunshine. (No camel rides for me...don’t care!)
i Want to thank everybody who posts on this forum for all the advice and for sharing their experiences. this Has helped me an awful lot in realising that slow and steady wins the race.

What an awesome update and at only 4 weeks out. You definitely sound better and seem to have kicked those post-op blues to the curb. :egypdance:

@Argee , hi just been reading your posts. I had right hip replaced on 8th Jan, have had my two knees replaced previously. I know you’re confidence has taken a huge knock but honestly your hip hadn’t dislocated. I have a friend who had a fall 8 weeks out and dislocated his replacement hip. The pain was so severe that the paramedics had to give him max amount of morphine and gas and air and that was just to get him off the ground and get him into the ambulance!!! Although my physios told me I had to sleep on my back with pillow between knees for first 8 weeks the nurses in the ortho ward said I could sleep on my side with pillow between knees. Well have tried it once and didn’t even get full onto my side- pain was hellish!!! Have no intention of trying again for a while yet. I can vouch that the recovery progression chart on this site was bang on accurate for my knee recoveries and am assuming it will be the same for the hip. 4 weeks is nothing in the recovery process and there will be lots of one step forward ten steps backward before you make a full recovery. Try to be patient, trust your body and forget about sleeping on your side for a good while yet:cheers:

@Lilli215 ....hello and thank you for your advice. I sleep in a “nest” of pillows and I’m actually liking this, especially at this cold time of year. Usually I can. manage about 4 hours continuous sleep now and it’s getting better as the days go on. I have lost the urge to roll over on to my side. This week has so far seen me able to do stairs normally and using the loo without the elevated seat and frame. I’m really happy with this progress. My confidence is growing again and it's because I have accepted that this healing process is different for all and I am not in a race .
i hope you are feeling good and looking forward to springtime in Scotland as much as I am :flwrysmile::)

Happy One Month Anniversary!
What a thorough and informative update. You may appreciate having that info one day. I wish I would have taken better notes on my recovery progress in case I go through this process again with my remaining natural hip.

What an exciting vacation to look forward to with your daughter in a couple of months. Go slow and steady and keep your eye on that prize. You're doing great! Happy Thursday! :SUNsmile:
@Argee

Hip hip hooray!
i drove my car today!:)
exactly six weeks since surgery and I am thrilled to be able to get in my car and drive again.
the next goal, which I am missing terribly, is to take a bath. How I long to soak in a bubbly hot bath. It was so good when I had hip pain in the past.
there are a few twinges if I’ve overdone things that I think would be eased by having a bath but I have not attempted one yet. Any one with any tips for getting in and out of the bathtub?

Be careful, we were told by physios no taking baths for 12 weeks:unsure:

My PT told me to wait at least 3 months, today, as we switched from the slider bench to a small bench in the tub. Once you get in you may not get out easily and they do not want to chance a dislocation.

Congratulations on driving!

Nice update. I'm going to assume that your OS cleared you to drive. If not your insurance might not cover you if something happens.

As far as taking a bath you should probably check with your OS before attempting one. Lots of different things to take into account like restrictions and such. Once the give you the go ahead you might want to try getting in and out of the tub without any water in it and have someone standing by, all for safety's sake.

Hi there! Glad you are feeling g better and getting in and out of your car is a huge achievement. Like another poster here o have a sports car and now Recovered find getting in and out of it much better than before the op. As you have a trip coming up have you thought about Leki hiking sticks? I found them better than a walking stick as my back was much straighter and I could concentrate on heel toe walking.

Re the bath. I love baths and also had the posterior approach. Having twisted my hip badly and been scared like you I did not try the bath for twelve weeks and practised it dry first using a non slip mat. I was very scared and very careful

Re the heel sores. If you still have this get hold of some sheepskin. This was recommended to me by someone else on this forum and worked a treat.

I think you are doing well. This recovery is as much about mental resilience as physical imho. I certainly don’t regret having it done now but did have my moments earlier in recovery!

@Elf1 @VSlowLife @SurreyGirl @Lilli215
thank you so much for your advice on the bath. I have waited this long and can wait some more. I tried a dry run and could climb in and kneel down. Didn’t put my butt on my heels though as my knee felt a bit tight...and didn’t want to try to sit down on my butt either. Didn’t feel like I could do that yet and was aware that I would have to twist a bit more than I was happy with. We have a corner bath which has a seat in the corner. It felt a bit low to sit on too. So I’m going to wait....
I see OS tomorrow and I’m sure he will be pleased with my progress
. I am , that’s for sure :)

So, I had my six week check up yesterday and all is looking good. OS was very pleased with my progress but warned me that the risk of dislocation was still to be remembered for another six weeks. he said no to taking a bath during that time and to remember not to bend too far. I told him I was able to tie my shoelaces on my non operated side but not the other. He said that he wouldn’t expect me to be trying to do any shoelaces at this time. He wished me a happy holiday to the sunshine in April but not to do breastroke legs in the pool. things like that will come good in time
next appointment in a years time! :) :SUNsmile::martini:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom