ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

THR Surgery countdown

Parsley Sage

Country
United States United States
I was diagnosed with severe degenerative changes, marginal spurring, and protrusio acetabuli in my left hip. I will be having a posterior hip joint replacement on November 17. I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks and finally decided to dip my toe in.

Pumpkln

Country
@Parsley Sage
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: @Parsley Sage and :welome:
That hip sounds like is definitely ready for replacement and like a bad tooth, you won't miss it or the pain.:) :-) (:
This forum with its magic of shared experiences and comradry was a great source of comfort and encouragement to me as I was very anxious prior to having my hips replaced.
We are happy to share your journey back to healthy and happy with you.

OP
OP
P

Parsley Sage

Country
Thanks @Pumpkln and @Mojo333! I have been following all your wisdom and words of encouragement for others for a couple of weeks. One of my many things I'm worrying and fretting about in these weeks leading up to surgery is my doctor said 8 weeks of toe touch weight bearing! :flabber: I haven't read much about folks having to do that. OS reasoning is it keeps the ball in the socket from getting wobbly?! :shrug:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Parsley Sage Wow - that's a first! Eight weeks toe touch after posterior THR is not something we see here often. I would clarify with your surgeon on this. The implant will be in very solidly if it is placed correctly. But there may be an issue with your hip that creates a complication.

Please let us know what your surgeon says.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I was diagnosed with severe degenerative changes, marginal spurring, and protrusio acetabuli in my left hip.
It could be the toe touch precautions may have to do with the bad shape your hip is in and your surgeons plan for prosthesis.
@Figsktr is a member who had a particular prosthesis and bad hip who is on these restrictions now, I believe.
Hopefully she will pop by with tips.

OP
OP
P

Parsley Sage

Country
@Pumpkln @Jaycey @Mojo333 I'm hoping you can help--so, I'm 2 weeks from surgery and all the questions, worries, and doubts are swirling about. I live alone and won't have much in the way of help. I have one niece but she has a busy, full-time job so I don't want to bother her too much. She is coming for the surgery and says she can work on her computer from my house for a couple of days but I will be home at night. I'm beginning to wonder if I can do it. I don't want to go to a rehab place but this whole toe touch precaution has me worried. I'm not going to be able to talk to the surgeon again so... I've got my house prepared, or so I thought. Then I'm thinking how am I even going to walk with a walker and carry food/drink? I'm trying to put together this crazy, high stool for the kitchen but the screws and bolts aren't going together and it's just increasing my anxiety...all while trying to maintain my cool at work...My toilets are ADA 17" height already, do I need a raised seat?! I'm 5' 10". I don't know. I'm at the point where I have more questions than answers. Now I'm dealing with FMLA and STD paperwork and I think I just want to run away!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Parsley Sage deep breath and take one thing at a time. Yes, you will need both hands on the walker if you are only allowed to toe touch. You don't really need someone there full time in the early days. Many of us were alone during our recovery. Can your niece come maybe morning and evening to help you prepare food and carry it to a table. Or do you have a neighbour, friend or member of a church who might help.

I really think you need to call your surgeon's office to make sure you have the restrictions right. They might also be able to make suggestions on how to cope. You might also ask the hospital if they have an Occupational Therapist who might assess your situation and make suggestions.

Pumpkln

Country
Many of our members have gone home alone and done very well. Sounds like you niece will be there with you the first few days to help with anything you need.
Home alone: Patients Living Alone Can Safely Recover at Home after TJA

Since you are tall you may want to invest in a raised toilet, they are easily obtained at any drug store or on Amazon.
Depending on which walker you are using you can purchase a tray to hold items, such as plates and drinks. (I used cups with lids just in case they spilled)
Currently due to foot pain, I use crutches when it is bad, and carry my coffee with a covered cup and do just fine.

Take Jaycey's advice and take a deep breath, you will be fine.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
There's a whole thread here, about and by people who have come home to recover alone. You might like to read it, and maybe pick up a few tips.
Home Alone After Surgery

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Rosemary and Thyme...
Can‘t help it, I read you’re screen name and the song Scarborough Fair by Simon and Garfunkel started playing in my head.

Welcome! I’m happy you came out of the shadows to join us. Lots of great info here as well as support and encouragement from those who’ve been there done that. I look forward to following your journey and cheering you on along the way.
Wishing you comfort until your big day on the 17th. You’re going to love the result of this great surgery!
@Parsley Sage

OP
OP
P

Parsley Sage

Country
Well, my surgery was cancelled due to Covid. I don't know when the hospital will start allowing elective surgery again. So much for trying to get it in by the end of the year while I had my deductible and out of pocket paid. So dissapointed.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Oh my stars.. :sad:
I am so sorry your surgery has been delayed, truly.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Parsley Sage I am so sorry to here your surgery is cancelled. Sign of the times I am afraid! Let's just consider it postponed for now. I wonder if your insurance will give you a break on the deductible since it is exceptional circumstances?

OP
OP
P

Parsley Sage

Country
Thanks @Mojo333 and @Jaycey My niece mentioned about talking to the insurance. My recent history with them trying to get pre-authorization for the surgery and trying to get straight answers on what they cover as far as durable medical goods has been frustrating. But, I guess it wouldn't hurt. It seems like in the world we live in you can never get close to talking to anyone who actually can make decisions...just call center after call center. :doh:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
It seems like in the world we live in you can never get close to talking to anyone who actually can make decisions...just call center after call center.
I hear you on this one. Such a frustration. But the postponement of your surgery is not your fault. And these times are exceptional. I would just keep trying. Ask for management to get beyond the call centre. The people in the centre only operate to a script. You have to get to the person who actually thinks logically. Tough one. But I would give it a try.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:fingersx: :fingersx:
Double fingers crossed you can get back on schedule soon.
Baby that hip on the meantime. I kept a heating pad close for a bit of comfort on my awful hips...:sorry:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I’m so sorry to read of your cancelation, @Parsley Sage
Hopefully it will be re-scheduled soon and not too far out.
Wishing you lots of comfort as you sit this out. :console2:

Sunnytimesahead

Country
@Parsley Sage, so sorry to see your surgery has been postponed due to Covid shutdowns. I'm fearing that call myself before my surgery date next month so I fully realize how disappointed you must feel. I too have met my out of pocket for the year and was counting on that expense to be covered. Fingers crossed you can get approval through insurance and you can keep that hip pain at bay until your surgery is rescheduled!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kelly Brown
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom