BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Surgery coming quickly THR

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by oregonlass, Dec 2, 2018.

1. oregonlass

oregonlass new member

United States United States
    Hi All,

I've visited here a couple of times and lurked around. It seems to have soo much information that I wasn't finding elsewhere. I'm getting down to the wire. Been doing all the prep exercises for a left THR on Dec 10th. Think I have most everything I'll need.

Still in a mental debate on if I need to get/rent a recliner. Don't own one. The article about what to look for was interesting and useful. I can easily shift to standing with the left leg completely immobilized. I'm only 5'1½" so it's hard to find furniture too low. Also, don't think I'd need or use the lift factor. Any opinions - please share.

How do you deal with pain pre-surgery with only acetaminophen and ice? I have to stop all else tomorrow. It's never been much help in the past... and of course, I have clients I have to see on Tuesday and Thursday.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. Mersada

Mersada member

I ordered one from Bob's furniture. I used the tips from this website on what to get. I am 5'4, so my feet just hit the floor with this chair. It's leather and was only 400. I also got bed risers for my futon in my living room, which I like to lay on more and it's low right now. I haven't tried the bed risers, yet...too early to have it 8 inches higher, it will probably look funny.

Do you have a date for surgery, yet. I am shooting for the spring time.

3. oregonlass

oregonlass new member

Surgery is Dec 10th! I'll have to look locally and see what I can find if I go ahead and purchase.

4. Mersada

Mersada member

Wow, good luck, that's right around the corner. Do you have a renta center in your area. They rent them pretty cheap, too. I have been practicing getting up from mine, already, too. I prefer laying on my futon,, though.

The tips on what to purchase on this site are pretty good.

Are you having posterior, anterior or Superpath technique done on you?

5. oregonlass

oregonlass new member

I see my surgeon on Tuesday so will clarify things, but I understand he uses a lateral approach...incision down the side of the hip. Info says it's treated like posterior for cautions. The surgical nurse that heads the client pre-surgery training team told me I was lucky to have this doc. They don't see his patients back in for fixes. She recommended him to a good friend of hers who needed both knees replaced.
    I was sort of hoping for anterior as it's supposed to have least restrictions. But one of my clients had that and she still has problems with where the muscle attaches. So I think it's partly the patient, partly the technique and partly the skill of the doctor with the technique.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mersada

Mersada member

Yes, I was hoping to avoid precautions, too...but, I'm not a candidate for anterior or superpath because I have hip dysplasia.

Sounds like you have a doc you are comfortable with. That's awesome.

You'll find a lot of tips and support on this site. I learned a lot here. I knew nothing when I first signed on.

I wish you the best for your surgery, you only have a week to go.

7. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You can't. Sorry but that's the truth of it.
    It's nothing to do with the approach, just the surgeon. Some want it, many don't. Very few surgeons in the UK use them.
    Actually, it's just the skill of the surgeon!

• Like Like x 1
  8. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

Many folks on here have used recliners, but I did not. I didn't have the room and didn't think I would use it after recovery. I bought a sturdy upholstered chair and ottoman from a neighbor for $35 and used that! I put an extra seat cushion on it for height and it worked great for me. I used an extra pillow or 2 on the ottoman under my leg for elevation.

The Tylenol didn't do anything for me pre-surgery either. I got by those last few days on nerves and just distracted myself with preparations. I had started using a cane too, just to take some pressure off the hip and to practice for post-op.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. oregonlass

oregonlass new member

Thanks guys! I appreciate the "experienced" feedback. With the feedback I'm getting from the ortho nursing team, sounds like I have a very good doctor.

I'm now not sleeping as well. Awake half the night with twitchy muscles/nerves in my left leg from the hip to below the knee. Not sure if I overdid the quad work or it's just that arthritic left knee expressing itself. Couldn't find a comfortable position for more than 2-3 minutes before the pain started again. Fortunately, it calmed down in the middle of the night and I was able to get some sleep.

10. oregonlass

oregonlass new member

Saw my surgeon yesterday, with my list of questions on my cell phone. He was really supportive making sure he had answered every question. His 90’ rules are most critical for first 6 weeks - I can understand and deal with that. Good to know there is more room for flexibility down the road.
    The bad news is yes, the hip has aggravated the left knee and now it is in pretty bad shape. Hoping they can do something to not need the knee done back to back to the hip. He did tell me I could use my topical balm on the knee for swelling and pain.
    Found that icing the hip and knee for an hour or two before bed, and going with a full size pillow between my legs allowed me to sleep more comfortably.

11. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I think you will find the 90 degree restriction is pretty easy to follow. And if a surgeon imposes this it is usually for the first 6 weeks.

Not long now!

• Like Like x 1
  12. oregonlass

oregonlass new member

Thanks Jaycey! That is the same thing the surgeon told me yesterday. So those apprehensions are dissipating.

13. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

Don't sweat the restrictions, you're really not going to want to or won't be able to break the rules. You will be very aware of your hip and will do everything to make it better. As far as a chair goes just be sure you are comfortable and can get up from it without leaning forward. Lifting yourself with your arms first works best and is good pre op exercise as you will need arm strength.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi, sorry you're struggling through these last few days. It's miserable but you're almost there.
    Relief is on the way.

Thought I'd weigh in on your questions. I had a lift recliner and loved it, can't imagine recovery without it. It's uncecssary but if it's in the budget, I'd consider it. My OS utilizes the posterior approach
    with no restrictions. I loosly self imposed them figuring what's good for one, must be good for another.
    The best advice I received was to move slowly and carefully and if anything hurt, STOP.

Lastly, consider trying a heating pad if you haven't already. It did bring me some relief in the final weeks leading up to surgery. I'd use it in bed at night while watching tv and it did help a little. It's definitely worth a try. Wishing you comfort as you wait out these last few days.
    @oregonlass

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:I'm certain you are ready to get this over with, so you can recover and start living your life (and sleeping) with no hip pain.
    Wishing you comfort this weekend and excited you will be on your way to Well very soon!:ok:

• Like Like x 1
  16. oregonlass

oregonlass new member

Thanks for your great and caring replies. I did get a nice barely used electric recliner. Before I made the decision I sat in it leaned back and can easily access the controls inside the right arm. Knowing that I'll probably have to have the left knee done at some point was the deal breaker... also that I got a great price.
    Because of lower back pain issues in the past, I have a far-infrared jade disk heating pad that can be positioned to cover from knees to mid-back... it's been great. Heat on the back, ice on the front ;) Only two more nights and I'm on my way. 6:30AM check-in Monday.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Best wishes on Monday! Sounds like you're ready to roll.
    I'm excited for you, you'll love the result.

Consider starting your Recovery thread on the Recovery side tomorrow while you're still clear headed.
    Then it will be ready and waiting for your first entry post op.
    We can leave Recovery Guidelines there for you and I'm sure some well wisher's will stop by also.
    Wishing you comfort as you await Monday!
    @oregonlass

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. oregonlass

oregonlass new member

Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions. One last day...one last night. Hospital check-in at 6:30AM tomorrow 12/10. Opening post-op thread today.

19. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

All the best tomorrow! See you on the other side soon!

• Like Like x 1
  20. EL11

EL11 senior

Good thoughts for the big event! One of the best decisions I ever made—technically, two decisions.

• Like Like x 1