Surgery around the corner

Chaotic

Country
United States United States
Hi all, I am 45 and having THR on June 6th. I have had pain for over 10 years, thinking it a groin problem all along. Turns out it's bilateral dysplasia and though my left hip is worse than my right, the right has acetabular cysts from a huge tear in the labrum. I was scheduled in January but had to postpone due to work. I spent 5 months in agony last year and about the time I began to think of surgery the flare up began to ease. I've had several other flare ups over the years and the inevitability of the next one is what is driving my decision to have it done now. In my mind, it's not that bad right now. I'm not in agony. The pain is always there though, I'm just so used to it I don't recognize it as wrong.

Still, I had my very first anxiety attack while sitting in the surgeons waiting room. My head has just been all over the place. I have begun recording every time I get that painful hitch that feels like I might lose my leg from under me and the times it just throbs while standing or sitting. That data and Forums like these have helped me so much to get out of my own head and have helped me regain some peace. Thank you!

Good Luck with your upcoming surgery! I am a couple weeks ahead of you and experienced anxiety with having the THR for same reasons...seems like every time I have an appointment its been on a "good hip day". However, I am noticing my good hip days are fewer and shorter in length, especially if I walk for any distance or overdo. This site has been amazing for reducing the anxiety for me. I do hate reading about folks that have had issues after surgery, but by and large there are so many more success stories that I am just focusing on those and the fact that if I have it done sooner I may fare better overall -I am 58 and only had to curtail some of my physical activity for about 11 months due to discomfort. I am finding that as I become more educated, talk to others who have had success with the surgery or know someone who has, my anxiety is lessening. Thinking it may be like jumping off a high dive....scared while standing at the edge looking down, but after you just jump....you think...well that wasn't so bad.

@Chaotic Welcome to BoneSmart! In my experience getting your THR before you are in "agony" is the best approach. Recovery is much easier if you don't limp around for years.

Keep reading and posting here. I will help settle your anxiety.

Hi there... I fully believe you are doing the right thing!!! I’m 45 and had bilateral THR about 2.5 weeks ago.

Like you, I had bilateral dysplasia. My right was much worse from a bone-on-bone perspective, but the left hurt even more. That’s why I did both at once. Just couldn’t pick a “worse”.

I’m very early in my recovery but it seems to be going great for me (that’s what everyone tells me). Being relatively young without other health issues will be a big benefit in recovery! You won’t regret this!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Thank all of you so much. It really has helped so much to read others stories and hear my own words and worries in their blogs and comments. I love the analogy of a high dive, that even if I’m confident with the decision to move forward the nerves will be there until the very last moment. JennyLynne I’m so glad your recovery is going well!

:wave: and :welome:
Bonesmart was such an important part of my recovery.
So June 6th is your date and do I have it correct that it will be your right hip?
We can get you added to the June pre-op group and add the date and which hip to your surgery!
Will be nice to get your life back!:yes:

I agree with all the others that you’ve made the right decision. I, too, questioned my decision for surgery when I’d have a good day but then the next day would be back to pain with each step. The closer the surgery date for, the worse the pain was so by surgery day I knew I’d made the right decision and I have no regrets. I think it is much better to do it before you are partially disabled as you will recover much better. When reading about others who have had surgery problems, please be sure to keep in mind they are the minority. Many who have successful surgeries move on quickly with their lives and don’t post much, if at all, after surgery. Those with problems post because they have more questions and they need our support as they work their way through their problem. I read recently that THR has one of the highest success rates of any surgery. Just think about how wonderful it will be to once again get around pain free! It is amazing!! Sending good wishes your way.....

@Chaotic, welcome fellow June hippie, I'm looking at 24 June for mine so you'll be moving right along by the time I do mine. It's scary but these folks have helped me calm my nerves and educate me so I know what to do, what to expect, etc. Hang in there, we'll get through this.
:welome:

Thank you all for the welcome and great advice. I am generally not a worrier so the anxiety is really foreign to me. I’m not worried about the outcome, really, I think it’s just pulling the trigger that had me so upset. Really, thank you all so much.

Sounds like you're ready to have the surgery. If you read posts on here you should see a realistic timeline for recovery. Be sure to allow yourself enough time and not try to rush the recovery. Once you accept the fact that you will have the surgery you have to go all in for the post op.

@GrannyC I was tempted to quote your post just to make everybody read it again!

GrannyC is the best! We were in Recovery around the same time and her easy breezy, common sense approach and responses was often all I needed to feel centered.

Pulling the trigger was one of the worst parts for me too. Actually it's what drew me here. I was a longtime lurker looking for threads with titles like "Help, I'm afraid"' :heehee: in hindsight I can laugh but in the midst of it, it could feel agonizing. While it's sadly something we all need to endure, coming here for support and encouragement from those who are suffering the same, or understand because they've been through it, helps take the edge off. It's like someone throwing you a life line. Keep coming here. No question is too stupid, nor any feeling one someone can't relate to. It's safe here and the lights never go out.
Wishing you comfort as you await your June 6th date.
@Chaotic

Chaotic, anxiety is a beast that comes in all sizes. I hope yours calms down to a purring kitten.... The caring people here never judge our weakness only help to make it an easier journey.

My mind... you know how it goes from rational to irrational and back again.

I have this fear that the surgeon will get started and be like “why the heck are we trying to replace this hip?” I don’t know what would be worse, not having my hip fixed or the embarrassment for making a decision to have the surgery unnecessarily.

And the brain spins ‘round and ‘round <sigh>

I think we all have these crazy thoughts before something major like this. Our minds are powerful things and sometimes just need to shut up! :snork:

Hang in there, we'll be here to support you and I'll be coming up a couple of weeks after you. We got this fellow hippie!

Hi Chaotic,
I totally understand where you are coming from thinking about do I really need to do this. I have the same thoughts and concerns about my doctor asking now, why are we doing this? Some days I feel good, then we have days like today with the pain in the groin, thigh and even the knee. I too have tears in the labrum and fai. My surgery date is June 10. So we can start the recovery process together.

I wish you the best.
Jane

Hi to some of my fellow June Sunbeams!
It's so comforting to know that we are all torturing ourselves with the same worries and doubts as we carry on waiting. :dubious:

It's so comforting to know that we are all torturing ourselves with the same worries and doubts as we carry on waiting. :dubious:

So so glad to have found this site. It is helpful to read others that have the same worries and concerns and crazy thoughts as me. Good Luck! See you on the other side :)

@Chaotic You just wrote my feelings exactly. I keep a diary and 2 years ago my left hip bothered me for 4 months with pain enough that I was taking Tylenol every day. Xrays back then were pretty good and it got better, so must of been a sprain from lifting heavy windows with my husband on our porch project. Now 2 years later the same hip is acting up, but a lot worse... xray looked moderate. MRI showed more damage than 2 years ago, but why I wonder. After I do anything physical I'm in much pain. Is it strained again? Will the surgeon replace it and I'll still have the pain??? I'm afraid to cancel, maybe I do need a new hip this time... Head spinning and I'm running out of time....

Hey fellow June Sunbeams! We'll get through this together and be totally awesome on the other side.

@Cecropia quit talking yourself out of this, you need, you'll feel better once it's done. I know it's hard but we all need to quit overthinking this!
:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back