BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Surgery around the corner

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Chaotic, May 2, 2019.

1. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 junior member

United States United States
    I am so looking forward to surgery.. I know the staff and have had a replacement before so have an inkling of the process. After surgery there was a long delay as my room was still occupied.. So while still in recovery I had take out sushi. Oops.. later when I called in an order to the kitchen they said I was on a liquid diet? Seems everyone including staff missed that.. Kitchen laughed and said you can have whatever you like as obviously you were not nauseous ( Not! Ravenous yes!)
    Then in my room you order what you want direct from the kitchen..when you want.. I will get lobster roll again.
    I remember my daughter visiting during the day ( I was in two nights for a knee) and she used the second tray table for a computer table. She found the commode very comfy to sit on and work( It had a lid!)
    Pain was well controlled and there was a chalkboard listing everyone on duty that day and what meds were coming when and who would check what how often.. Ergo there really were no surprises. I was out of bed fast walking the floor that day and the next day climbing multiple flights of stairs ( with an OT watching of course)
    The day of surgery I got a happy pill ( I was told to take it at home before arrival at the hospital). I was so giggly and told the admitting nurse I felt fine and didn't need the surgery.. She said "We hear that from mostly everyone; we want your experience to be as enjoyable as possible".
    When the day comes there will be plenty of folks that will help you feel comfortable. Remember that while its your first surgery you may be their third or sixth . Of that day! This isn't their first ball game!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Chaotic

Chaotic new member

I am quite annoyed that my hip doesn't hurt. My right knee is giving me some pain and my left hip has hitched more recently than my right, seriously! Less than 3 weeks and I feel better than I have in a year. It's so frustrating. If I weren't scheduled for surgery I'd be back to the 90 year old gait I was rocking all last year. I think I'm going to go running.... no I won't, I hate running. :oyvey:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Chaotic

Chaotic new member

@mainegirl1 Thank you for sharing your experience. I laughed heartily at your happy pill comment :snork: Anesthesia and I don't get along well so I'll likely stick to liquid if that's the case but I am so glad you got to eat right after! The advice for the stay is great, I do feel really confident in the hospital I am staying in, they have a private chef and only about 30 beds for the whole place so I think I'll be well taken care of. Actually, my grandmother had surgery there just 5 years ago so I'm a bit more familiar with it too LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Elf1

Elf1 member

@Chaotic I know it gets really annoying when there is a break in the pain or it moves somewhere that you think has nothing to do with the hip! I played that game for a while, would go and get another injection, etc, etc. Now it's to the point that my little devil hip is reminding me constantly why I finally decided to go see the OS. I can't believe how much worse it's gotten since I saw him almost 2 months ago. So glad I decided to go with the surgery!

We'll all get through this together, slowly but surely. Sure wish the hospital I'll be staying at had the option of calling down to the kitchen and ordering what you want @mainegirl1! Not remotely that lucky. :snork:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cecropia

Cecropia member

@Chaotic I don't know about the happy pill, but I was told I will have a sedative to relax me at first, and an anti nausea med before surgery. They might be putting that stuff in my IV. ? I asked how will I know my legs are numb if I'm on a sedative. How can I tell you. They said I will be able to answer questions but won't remember it.
    I could see where you would be frustrated that the pain goes away, and wonder what the heck??? :chinstroke:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1