BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Surgery around the corner

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Chaotic, May 2, 2019.

1. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 member

United States United States
    I am so looking forward to surgery.. I know the staff and have had a replacement before so have an inkling of the process. After surgery there was a long delay as my room was still occupied.. So while still in recovery I had take out sushi. Oops.. later when I called in an order to the kitchen they said I was on a liquid diet? Seems everyone including staff missed that.. Kitchen laughed and said you can have whatever you like as obviously you were not nauseous ( Not! Ravenous yes!)
    Then in my room you order what you want direct from the kitchen..when you want.. I will get lobster roll again.
    I remember my daughter visiting during the day ( I was in two nights for a knee) and she used the second tray table for a computer table. She found the commode very comfy to sit on and work( It had a lid!)
    Pain was well controlled and there was a chalkboard listing everyone on duty that day and what meds were coming when and who would check what how often.. Ergo there really were no surprises. I was out of bed fast walking the floor that day and the next day climbing multiple flights of stairs ( with an OT watching of course)
    The day of surgery I got a happy pill ( I was told to take it at home before arrival at the hospital). I was so giggly and told the admitting nurse I felt fine and didn't need the surgery.. She said "We hear that from mostly everyone; we want your experience to be as enjoyable as possible".
    When the day comes there will be plenty of folks that will help you feel comfortable. Remember that while its your first surgery you may be their third or sixth . Of that day! This isn't their first ball game!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Chaotic

Chaotic junior member

I am quite annoyed that my hip doesn't hurt. My right knee is giving me some pain and my left hip has hitched more recently than my right, seriously! Less than 3 weeks and I feel better than I have in a year. It's so frustrating. If I weren't scheduled for surgery I'd be back to the 90 year old gait I was rocking all last year. I think I'm going to go running.... no I won't, I hate running. :oyvey:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Chaotic

Chaotic junior member

@mainegirl1 Thank you for sharing your experience. I laughed heartily at your happy pill comment :snork: Anesthesia and I don't get along well so I'll likely stick to liquid if that's the case but I am so glad you got to eat right after! The advice for the stay is great, I do feel really confident in the hospital I am staying in, they have a private chef and only about 30 beds for the whole place so I think I'll be well taken care of. Actually, my grandmother had surgery there just 5 years ago so I'm a bit more familiar with it too LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Elf1

Elf1 senior

@Chaotic I know it gets really annoying when there is a break in the pain or it moves somewhere that you think has nothing to do with the hip! I played that game for a while, would go and get another injection, etc, etc. Now it's to the point that my little devil hip is reminding me constantly why I finally decided to go see the OS. I can't believe how much worse it's gotten since I saw him almost 2 months ago. So glad I decided to go with the surgery!

We'll all get through this together, slowly but surely. Sure wish the hospital I'll be staying at had the option of calling down to the kitchen and ordering what you want @mainegirl1! Not remotely that lucky. :snork:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@Chaotic I don't know about the happy pill, but I was told I will have a sedative to relax me at first, and an anti nausea med before surgery. They might be putting that stuff in my IV. ? I asked how will I know my legs are numb if I'm on a sedative. How can I tell you. They said I will be able to answer questions but won't remember it.
    I could see where you would be frustrated that the pain goes away, and wonder what the heck??? :chinstroke:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Chaotic

Chaotic junior member

So little update on me. I’m on the one week stretch and as I get out of our busy work season and back into spring activities, shopping, graduation, traveling... amazingly I hurt like the dickens again. I’m actually grateful for the pain. It reminds me that this really is a thing, it’s not in my head, the Dysplasia is real, the Labral tears are real, the MRI wasn’t a fluke. I was just modified sedentary enough that the pain had settled down. Thinking back this is about the time my pain really flared up last year too (until November).

It’s been super busy.

-My son had prom and graduated HS
    -I travelled to bring and return my mother for the graduation
    -My son turns 18 next week so one birthday party to plan
    -My daughter leaves for Australia Study Abroad on Monday.

So on Tuesday I can start thinking about surgery again ... oh wait shower prep starts Monday, I better start thinking about it on Monday :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
  7. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

Oh my, I'm exhausted just reading everything you have been doing and still have to do. Just don't forget to slow down for recovery and take the time for you to heal.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Icespirit5

Icespirit5 junior member

@Chaotic !! You have voiced all the fears so spot on! The pain coming and going, making you second guess yourself, all so true! Mine is 2 weeks out and anxiety has really set in. Its always nice to come on here and be reminded that I am not alone in my fears.
    June Sunbeams for the win! Can't wait to hear more about your experience.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Chaotic

Chaotic junior member

B0FF4529-9060-40A5-A68F-E53525AC79A8.jpeg I have been on a cleaning rampage before surgery and I ran across this in my book basket beside my bed.:thud:

Speaks volumes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chaotic

Chaotic junior member

Birthday party done, oldest kid moved out, one to the airport tomorrow and it all goes from crazy to crazy quiet. Both youngest boys have summer jobs so the chips are falling in place. I am tired. I am going to take the next couple of days preparing for surgery. I did get the raised commode ready and prepped two ice packs. So some effort has been made.

I have to go get new xrays tomorrow, surgeons office called and I have to go by tomorrow. I’ve been limping around all weekend but my brain is still screaming “are you sure it’s not too soon?” I’ve been stress eating too. One day at a time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Well, all I can say is that despite the crush of activity, life keeps moving on for you, @Chaotic, and before you know it, your surgery will be here (gulp...Thursday!) and then you be in full recovery mode. I can absolutely understand those panic attacks where you question your decision--is it really bad enough? Maybe I need to wait longer? This can't be happening to ME! I think we all had them, or certainly I did. I wasn't ever in hideous pain, and was able to cope with a much narrowed lifestyle. But I was bone-on-bone and there wasn't anything that would make it better except surgical replacement of my hip. You are going to get through this, like thousands and thousands of folks do every year. I also know you said you had great confidence in your surgeon and hospital team, and I'm betting that you might even be surprised when you wake up and realize that, wow, it's over and done with and now you get to start looking ahead! Sure, you might have another hip replacement coming up shortly after that, but I think that (like me) you'll be a lot less anxious and more confident. And, yes, I know it's easy for me to say but it really is true! Best of luck this week--kick that rotten hip to the curb!!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. linette333

linette333 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I know everything you say is true, @Barbaraj and it helps so much to hear the voice of experience. But oh how I share your fears, @Chaotic!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Elf1

Elf1 senior

@Chaotic you sure have been the busy bee! Try to remember to take some time for you, whether it be to just chill in quiet or to pamper yourself, whatever your thing is. Will be with you in spirit on Thursday though probably not online as we're flying to Wyoming that day to attend a wedding. Wishing you all the best if I don't touch base with you between now and then. You've got this!
    :console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Get those new images tomorrow and then let's get on with our life...new hip is going to rock!
    Wishing you comfort as you prepare!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. Chaotic

Chaotic junior member

@Barbaraj it’s like you are in my head!! Thank you all for the support it really means a lot to me. @Mojo333 you must have heard it all in these forums. I appreciate the supportive words from everyone so much. When I begin to feel the tightening of anxiety I can come here and immediately feel better. @Elf1 have so much fun on your trip!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:@Chaotic
    Heard much, and pre-op anxiety and fears still stir the utmost empathy...as I have surely been there.:unsure:
    Don't ever want to come off flippant about this major surgery...but can say I am living every day with the major results...and it is definitely time.
    Sooner you do this, the sooner you begin recovery, and the sooner you get your life back.:tada:
    Lots of folks cheering you on.:yay:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@Chaotic Closer, closer, hang in there. When I went to the post OP side I felt like a lot of people I was talking to was still in preOP. Your dog is cute. I have 3 cats, momma and her 2 boys all 4 years old now. They were kind of off standish when I got home. Cats are funny.
    Plus because it was necessary, I had to find ways to decorate my bedroom with my keepsakes and breakables and so the cats are not allowed in my bedroom. They have the run of the rest of the house, but after they broke a couple things chasing each other in the beginning I had to move certain things like childproofing. :catdance:So I been in bed a lot and they meow at the door, like "Why don't you come out?":meow: I also carried them around a lot like babies, I love spoiling them and can't do that yet. Why am I telling you all this? Cause I'm laying in bed waiting for the nurses visit AND SO BORED....:heehee: Will be thinking of you and a few others that will soon be over here to chat a lot about their after surgery experiences. :tada:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Yup, @Chaotic, pre-surgery nerves are far, far harder to bear than the actual surgery and recovery process, in my humble experience. Once surgery was done, I had a clear focus on recovery and the absence of daily anxiety (especially the 3:00 AM night terrors) in addition to the arthritic pain being gone was truly wonderful. Distract yourself as much as you can before surgery, do what you can without pushing yourself too hard, and know that 2020 is going to be grand.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You're almost to the finish line. Hang tight.
    As you're reading over and over again, the waiting is the worst part.
    The result will make it all worthwhile. Come here as often as you feel the need. We're here for you, we understand and we care.
    Big hugs and wishes for your comfort as you await Thursday. :console2:
    @Chaotic

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. Chaotic

Chaotic junior member

@Cecropia you crack me up :rotfl: I hope you had some interruption from your boredom.

Thank you guys for the reminders to not let the circular thinking get to me. I got my arrival time for Thursday, 5am ugh. I am not an early bird.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1