Surgery and Vitamin D

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliGirl

Country
United States United States
My pre-op instructions said to stop taking vitamins and herbal remedies 2 weeks prior to my TKR surgery.

A few weeks ago my lab results showed I was quite seriously vitamin D insufficient, and my GP put me on 50000 IUs of Vitamin D, which I take once a week for a couple of months. (This is not the first time this has happened.)

I asked the surgeon's office if I should continue to take the Vitamin D, but they said to ask my GP. I've sent an email to my GP, but while I'm waiting for his answer, I was wondering if anyone else had been in this situation.

From what I've been reading it should be fine to continue taking it, but wondering about it is my obsession of the weekend.

I took vitamin D (but only 2,000 IU) daily right up until almost surgery, and I survived. I was only warned not to take fish oil or vitamin K. Let us know what your GP says. Until then, be sure to go outside and soak up a little of this fabulous SoCal sunshine!

Thanks @Clipless, that's exactly what I was thinking - vitamin D doesn't affect blood clotting. I think it's probably better for me to get my vitamin d levels as close to normal as possible. I'll be interested to see what my GP says.

As far as sunshine, despite my screen name, I'm actually from England (lived in California most of my life, though), and I'm so fair skinned I burn if you just say "sun." Seriously, I've gotten sunburned wearing 70 sunblock. :sigh:

I had Vitamin D deficiency as well and they told me to keep taking my Vitamin D supplement up until the day of my surgery. I stopped the fish oil and other supplements and also they added Vitamin C to my regimen since that aids with healing.

@CaliGirl , I thought you had the complexion of an English rose! I've got very fair skin too although my hair is dark, and I cannot tolerate being in the sun. I take vitamin D3+K2 5,000iu a day. The K2 is for better absorption but I believe it affects blood clotting so I may have to switch to a straight vit D3. Does anyone have any advice on whether foods containing vitamin K affect blood clotting?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine, unsurprisingly, you were right-on. I heard back from my doctor who told me to KEEP TAKING THE VITAMIN D, as it will not cause any problems with bleeding or blood clotting.

The only pills I ws told not to take was aleve. I take 2000iu of vitimin D no problem.

@linney619 My doctor told me also to stop taking Aspirin and NSAID's 2 weeks before surgery. That totally makes sense, because those do act as blood thinners. They also said to stop taking all vitamins and herbal supplements. That also makes sense (generally speaking) because SOME vitamins and supplements do affect blood thinning or blood clotting, or other things that could cause nasty surgical complications. It seemed to me that Vitamin D would be just fine to continue taking (which it turned out it is - even in mega-dose strength). I was a bit surprised the surgeon's office didn't know that, and referred me to my general practice doc to answer the question.

I think they also want to be sure there won't be any interactions with any meds you're given. I know they went through my med list (and any supplements) in my presurgery appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties