Lounge Doctor

THR Surgery 8/4/21 & 9/15/21

OP
OP
L

Lizzie84

Country
United States United States
Surgery #2 (right hip replacement, anterior) is coming up on Wednesday, 9/15. I'm thinking about how things have gone so far and I've decided to do things differently this time. I hope my observations can help someone.

1) I will not feel like I'm bothering someone by using my call light in the hospital. I'm a nurse and I tried really hard to be a "good" patient. All that did was get me behind on my pain meds and frustrated.

2) I will realize that there are no REAL rules. I'm a rule follower and the past few weeks have driven me crazy. I want to know what is expected of me so I can do it!! But no, "everyone is different" and "listen to your body" are really not rules and therefore frustrating to me. This forum has been the MOST helpful to me in this regard. Thank you, thank you, thank you for reiterating over and over that this is a journey.

3) I bought another walker. Went to Savers (like Good Will) and found one for 10 bucks. I have another one that I borrowed. It was a pain asking my family to take it up and down the stairs for me. Now I will leave one on each floor and it is one less thing to ask for. (NOTE: no one minded, but again, one more thing to feel independent about.)

4) I will take my pain meds as often as I need them. There is no prize for NOT taking them. (UGH--I tell my patients all the time "those meds will not help you if they are in the bottle")

5) I will bring my own body pillow--LOL. Hospitals have the absolute worse pillows on the face of the earth.

If this helps even one person, I'll be happy!

Lisako76

Country
Hi-nice to meet you all. I'm so glad I found this site. I had THR on 8/4 (direct anterior approach). I'm feeling pretty good, but to be honest, not as well as I thought I would at this point. I think people who have had Hip replacements either have a bad memory, or are fibbers! LOL! It's like a REVERSE birth story. Instead of telling you how long everything took and how bad it was, everyone was telling me how "easy peasy" it was. (e.g. "I was on the golf course 4 days after my surgery."). REALLY? I'm now walking without any aids but I'm still pretty sore. Yesterday was a bad day, today was great. Hope that is normal. Oh, and on 9/15 I'm having my other hip replaced! Thanks for listening.
Lizzie
I got frustrated around the 3 week mark and felt like I should be moving. By 4 weeks i was really sure I was too far behind. All I can say is hang in there, all at once it gets better. It hasn't been very long and I can say pretty confidently that anyone claiming to be golfing 3 days after hip replacement is either lying or took a lot of drugs!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
All of the above are great thoughts and the extra walker will definitely help.
I took my meds regularly as to stay more comfortable and hence more mobile and to get better rest. There was an episode at the hospital where I also had let my pain become unmanaged and they had to do some tweaking to get things right.
Being our own advocate for short term recovery and listening to our bodies and doing what is helpful is tantamount to an easier longterm recovery.
Good for you for going into #2 with this mindset.
Sending good mojo your way.

Starmarie

Country
Good luck on the 2nd surgery. That is aggressive! The 2nd hip is probably holding back your recovery. It has to be hard to have a the 2nd hip needing replacement while trying to recover from first surgery. Hope all goes well for you.
I had my THR on Aug 2, just now really off my cane but I sometimes use it to get going after sitting on the couch. Still have tenderness in the joint area and buttocks while walking. I have been walking outdoors at the mall because it’s flat and manage 1/2- 1 mile in about 35 minutes every other day. Also take 1 pain med (tramadol or hydro) every day usually after about 2 pm and take ibuprofen 2x a day 800mg.

And for those who claim they are out playing golf 3 days after a THR, um, I don’t think so. I think people forget what it’s like to recover and/or don’t want to bruise their ego by admitting they are human and needed more time to recover. I just watched a youtube of the anterior surgery and I’m actually surprised I can even walk after the surgery. Modern day miracle.

OP
OP
L

Lizzie84

Country
@Starmarie—yes, it’s hard to get going after sitting on the couch for a while. I watched a YouTube video before my first surgery. Gross! And I’m a nurse so that’s saying something-lol!

OP
OP
L

Lizzie84

Country
YOWZA! I forgot in the short 6 weeks since my last one how much PO day 1 hurts! Decided to go downstairs to eat dinner with the fam and going DOWN stairs was terrible. I'm back in bed now and getting ready to take my pain meds for the night. I've got ice and the best family support ever! Onward!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Lizzie84 and here you are again for round 2. Please take it slow and easy.. of course you know that but I couldn't help myself.I just had to say it.
Isn't it a great feeling to have both of your hips done and over with?
Now it's recovery time. I hesitate to leave you the BoneSmart recovery tips again since you have them from the August THR..

I hope you sleep well tonight. :ice:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Superwoman:wave:

I'm sure your body is going "Hey, what the heck? I thought we were trying to get over this getting Bionic thing."
All well worth it
you are on your way :chuckmarch:

Big healing hugs....oxoxox

Jaceyduck

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Lizzie good luck for a quick recovery from your 2nd hip replacement best wishes Julie

PolarIce

Country
Canada Canada
Hi Lizzie, I had my THR also in 4th August and I am still waiting to feel better about it all. only yesterday I broke down in tears again about the very slow recovery I am having compared to other people. I am honestly in some pain all the time when on my feet not so much when I’m sitting down but as soon as I weight bear the pain is there, I’m still on Tramadol and paracetamol twice a day, am walking in the house without a cane but still take one when walking outside. I had my first physios session last week and was told this was all normal and I see the consultant in another two weeks at which point I am hoping if I still feel the same way that he will do an X-ray etc to see if everything is ok. I really hope that in time I can look back and think this was all worth it.
I haven't had a total hip replacement(yet-working on that), but I have had 3 PAO's which are massive surgeries if not more traumatic on the body than the replacements(and I am NOT undermining the THR in any way!), and what I want to say is that be kind to yourself.

These are big surgeries and you know what, the amount of time it's going to take you to recover and heal is tiny in the grand spectrum of years of having a brand new joint that is going to allow you to be pain free. You really have to suffer through those first stages, but you'll get there. Every day is an improvement, and you will get there.

What I also found with my PAO's is that the recoveries went from daily baby steps(and sometimes it can be hard because you really wish it was much bigger improvements right), but then at a certain point into your recovery, you will find yourself being able to suddenly take HUGE leaps forward into your recovery. No idea why or how that happens, but it's happened every time I had those major surgeries, and from all the recovery threads I've read a lot of people go thru the same thing.

A suggestion I have is to also maybe look into starting a recovery thread. Having something to journal your recovery, may help record how you are doing and remind you how it started and actually how far you've come and help you truly notice all the improvements you've made. Big HUGS.

OP
OP
L

Lizzie84

Country
Well, PO day 4. I showered, and went for a (small) walk outside. Feeling so much better this round. I think it’s because I’ve already been through this recently and I’m more confident this time. (E.g. I know I won’t break! Lol!). Grateful that I didn’t get cancelled due to Covid admissions and that I don’t have any more hips to replace. ❤

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Welcome to the double hippie club @Lizzie84 . Glad it's all done and dusted and you are on the road to recovery. My second recovery was easier as well. It's nice when you know what to expect. Happy healing!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary, Righty!
How are you doing with those two shiny new hips? Hopefully well and enjoying steady progress. It should be a nice holiday season for you with no more hip pain. :happydance:
Have a great Autumn!
@Lizzie84

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
right TKR 2 Mo
Recent bookmarks