THR Surgery 8/16 I am very fearful

Chrissy 1958

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone. I am new here. I am in recovery. I am terrified. Any feedback would be appreciated. Is anyone here not going to be receiving pain medication

Hello Chrissy and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.

Just to clarify, I’m assuming you’re in recovery from substance addiction and that’s the reason for your anxiety in regard to pain following your THR surgery, is that right? If so, it’s very brave of you to divulge that personal information in an effort to receive support and encouragement from others. Congrats on being in recovery!

Hopefully you’ve had an open discussion with your Orthopedic surgeon and he knows your history. You should be able to avoid Opioids entirely with an alternative plan in place. In many cases, post op pain is not as intense as we imagined it would be. Many do well with a schedule of Extra Strength Tylenol. Icing also helps tremendously with pain and swelling. You can ice as frequently and for as long as you’re comfortable.

Ask you surgeon about Non Opiod Exparel. Many have benefitted from this post op. You receive an injection in the surgical area right after surgery, just before closing. It works directly at the surgical site, unlike Opioids which affect the entire body. One dose administered in the OR will provide pain control for the first couple days when it’s needed most. My surgeon used it and I only ever took 4 Oxy, which I’m not sure I even needed. I managed any pain well with Extra Strength Tylenol and icing like a fanatic.

I hope it relieves your anxiety to know there are options. I’m sure others will stop by with advice also. I’ll leave some reading material below and please know we’re here for support whenever you need us.

Wishing you comfort as you await your surgery date!

Oops, by the way, please let us know which hip will be replaced so we can create a signature for you. Thanks in advance! :)

Following you’ll find some articles of interest

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery

Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

I assume you mean addiction recovery concerning your pain meds. I can't comment at all on that as I have no experience. I can say that in my experience with 2 THR's if I wasn't doing anything that strained me post-op I really didn't have unmanageable pain. I will say that in the hospital my first encounter with the hospital PT and no pain meds was bad and had me requesting pain meds. I would have a plan in place with my OS who should be well aware off your situation and have it made clear to the staff where you are having your surgery.

Hi again,
A member that joined a few years ago just came to mind. She also dealt with addiction and expressed her concerns regarding THR surgery and its after effects which were discussed on her thread.
You may benefit through her words or from some of the interaction within her thread. Here is a link -
@Chrissy 1958

Best Wishes tomorrow, Chrissy!
Please consider joining us on the Hip Recovery side of the forum once you’re resting comfortably at home. We’d love to support you as you’re healing. Hope to see you there!
@Chrissy 1958

Hi Chrissy, I am having my left hip replaced a day before you, on Sept 15.
a few years ago I had my other hip resurfaced. Once the initial surgery day was over, the doctor stopped the opioid pain med, and from there on, I had a cycle of taking tylenol every four hours, and Advil every four hours, but staggered so that neither wore off. With that plus ice and elevation, it worked well. Perhaps someone’s suggestion of a local pain block in conjunction with a regimen like that might just work for you.

Hi @Breeze2day
Thanks for reaching out to @Chrissy 1958 but she had her THR Iast month on the 15th.
I would love to see you start a recovery thread some can follow your recovery.

I had a Conserve Plus Hip Resurfacing done 3 years ago, and it is great
Nice to have a member who has had both procedures and could lend insights on differences.
Here is help on starting a thread (click on link)
or let us know and we can begin one for you.

Maybe Chrissy will pop in with an update as we would love to know how she is doing.
Folks in Recovery also have unique challenges and I hope you are doing well @Chrissy 1958

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JennyG42
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom