TKR Surgery #2 scheduled for Nov 10

Mrty2019

Country
United States United States
I am scheduled for R-TKR on November 10. However, I am on their call list should they get a cancellation prior to that date as I am ready to get this done and be on the recovery side. Plus I don’t want to think about this for very long. Will be getting another Zimmer Biomet which has worked quite well for me. I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow.

Learned so much on this site and appreciate the support.

Had L-TKR in August 2019. Not sure how to link this all together if a facilitator can help.

@Mrty2019,
Welcome Back!
Added your surgery date to your signature and added you to the 2021 November Nimbles.
November 10th is just around the corner and will be here before you know it.

Here is a copy of the pre op articles to help you get ready for your TKR.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

@Mrty2019 :welome: back :wave:- There is a group of us getting our 2nd surgery in November/December, I too had my first replacement in October 2019, this time its my right knee, I will get hopefully get the date of surgery next Wednesday as I start my pre-op consultations.
Like you I'm trying not to think of it,as we do kinda know what the "after" is like, at least we know at the end it is all worth it.
I've decided to get my house decorated early for the holidays, I've never decorated this early, so at beginning of November my XMAS tree will be sitting pretty, plus I'm going to get ahead with holiday preparations as leaving it to my hubby I will be lucky if he remembers hahaha :banana-santa:

in discussing pain management, my surgeon mentioned a device his practice is approved to use to control post surgical pain. He used three initials in referring to it but it sounds like a nerve catheter that I find mentioned a few times when I do a search here. Is this discussed anywhere in detail as to pros and cons and personal experiences with the device. Is it too new? He said it would be inserted by an anesthesiologist a few days prior to my surgery. He said it would be just one pain management tool, but has been quite successful. Thanks.

Are you talking about the On-Q Pain Relief System?

He may have been referring to a peripheral nerve catheter. You can call the surgeon's office and find out exactly what he intends to use. His nurse will provide that information for you and then we could talk more intelligently about whatever device it is.

Try not to worry about this, though. These devices have been around a while and they work very well to help control pain. Be glad your surgeon is open to to the use of multi-modal pain management. It really can make you more comfortable after surgery. The only trick is to not overdo things because you aren't feeling much pain.

Some how I missed these replies. Yes it is a peripheral nerve catheter. I was a kidney donor so only have one kidney and I can’t take any anti inflammatory drugs so I hope this will help with pain management along with icing. I know so much more now which should help as my TKR will be done outpatient this time.

It sounds like your surgeon is up-to-date with pain control. On a side note, I did my second recovery without anti-inflammatories and it was fine.

Am I doing this too soon? I know so many friends/family who have bone on bone knee pain, but are delaying surgery. My right knee went bad very quickly just like my left knee did in 2019. In May my OS said I wasn’t ready and I was not bone on bone per xrays. He gave me a steroid injection that allowed me to walk and bike all summer. Then the pain worsened and my October xrays show bone on bone and OS said I am ready. Although I don’t relish the surgery, I want to get to the recovery side. If I prolong this my legs will lose strength from a summer of walking and biking. Thoughts please. TIA

@Mrty2019 Delaying will only lengthen your recovery. Bone on bone pain can go from tolerable to horrid very quickly. And limping around has major impact on many areas of your body.

You are nearly there! Head down and move forward. You will soon have 2 shiny new knees.

Ok thanks for the encouragemen.

@Mrty2019 Like you, these thoughts are dashing thru my head, I have my pre-op consultation tomorrow morning, during the summer my knee pain was barely noticeable, but in the last few weeks both walking or sitting too long has become uncomfortable so my brain says just do it or face another year of not doing the things I so enjoy.
Hopefully a firm date will be set, although the round of pre-op tests start next week, blood tests, ECG etc etc so I don't think I've long to wait. Strange us knowing what it is really like we are so keen to be on the other side, we are truly brave xx

@Mrty2019 Like you, these thoughts are dashing thru my head, I have my pre-op consultation tomorrow morning, during the summer my knee pain was barely noticeable, but in the last few weeks both walking or sitting too long has become uncomfortable so my brain says just do it or face another year of not doing the things I so enjoy.
Hopefully a firm date will be set, although the round of pre-op tests start next week, blood tests, ECG etc etc so I don't think I've long to wait. Strange us knowing what it is really like we are so keen to be on the other side, we are truly brave xx

You are on a similar time line as I had my left knee in 2019 and thought it was a one and done, but here Iam again, but I want to get back to walking and biking in the spring. Let me know how it goes for you. I am all thru my pre-op and just need a COVID test 3 days before surgery.

Counting down the few days until surgery and am struggling with the post surgery logistics and possibly overthinking it all.
My surgery is being done outpatient so I will likely be back home in 4 hours.

Last knee it was August and very hot and I wore sleep pants and a t-shirt home. Now I am dealing with cold weather. So, what should I plan to wear home from the hospital? Same sleep pant attire but with a jacket along with the nonslip socks they are sure to give me? Unless my surgery is at 5 am, I would feel weird wearing sleep pants to check in. I don’t want my hubs to have to think which clothes I need and when.

Once I get home and start icing and elevating, do I stack the pillowsOR lounge doctor UNDER the blankets or leave my leg and pillows out of the covers? I am always cold so I just can’t think how to do this. TIA.

You have made a good point, I was operated in October 2019 and it was really warm, this time round it will be December, much colder, I wonder if its ok to have the electric under blanket on ? - hopefully soon someone whom was operated in the winter will shed us some light xx

Hi - not sure how cold it is where you are, but starting to get nippy here in Colorado. I am a bit more cold- natured the past few years, but not extremely so. However, I found myself Super cold a lot at night. And I can’t stand my feet cold . Maybe it was the ice machine? I’ve meant to ask if anyone else had this problem. The ice machine was great, it did the job & helped with pain, for sure. But I no longer need all the blankets. But I Did keep the blanket(s) Over my legs, feet, & elevator for the healing leg. Btw, I no longer need the ice machine. Hope this helps... and best wishes on your surgery.

I Did keep the blanket(s) Over my legs, feet, & elevator for the healing leg. Btw, I no longer need the ice machine. Hope this helps... and best wishes on your surgery.

@Catalien45 That does help. It it getting cold here and it sounds like I will be in bed with my feet elevated on my lounge doctor, a gel pack, and blankets piled on top. Did the pressure of the blankets cause more pain on your new knee? Thanks!

What about placing a lightweight quilt that would be warmer and less heavy than blankets, maybe one of those fur lined fleecy throws also softer on the skin.

@Sara61 I think that would work best. The temperature drops in our house at night as we sleep better that way, not that I will be able to sleep much.

Likewise, we don't have central heating, so bedrooms are colder, and I'm usually tucked up under a warm duvet in the winter, the thought of icing :ice: makes me cold just thinking about it :heehee: my only consolation is it does help enormously in the recovery, Yes sleepless nights, I remember well from my first replacement something I'm not looking forward too xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom