Surgeon's Emergency Leave

babette12

Country
United States United States
My surgery will have to be rescheduled due to my surgeon's family emergency. His office staff told me he will be out at least through June, possibly into July. My surgery was scheduled for June 21. I'm very concerned and this must be a serious crisis. At this point my tendency is to wait and reschedule with him. Getting to know someone else, etc., just seems too arduous. What do you think?

Trust , knowledge, confidence in your OS should be a deciding factor. If you have doubt about your OS this could change your thoughts. Personally, I knew my OS for 20years, confident in my choice. But every option and situation different. Good luck to you!

I had a similar situation. My surgery was originally scheduled for April 19th, but had to be rescheduled due to my surgeon needing surgery himself. I had no desire to switch doctors, so waited until my surgery was rescheduled. If you like your OS, my suggestion is to hang in there and be patient until they reschedule. Finding a doctor you trust is not always easy, so when we do it's best to keep them.

Your surgeon is a human being, just like the rest of us! He is likely to have family crisis such as a death, serious illness, anything else we can think of.

It sounds like it's worth waiting for him and rescheduling. Besides you wouldn't save any time trying to get in with someone else. Like you said you'd be starting from scratch.

If you have confidence in your surgeon, wait for him.
It would probably take longer to find a new surgeon, see him/her and schedule a surgery date.

I was in a similar position. My surgeon did my first hip replacement in 2014. He told me prior to that surgery thst he needed a rotator cuff repair...sometime. He was to do my other hip in August and one knee in October. In February, he fell on the ice & had his surgery in April. His office said he’d be back in July. I told them that unless they had a crystal ball, they didn’t know that. While my hip could wait, my knee cannot. I scheduled both with another surgeon in the practice and am having faith that this was meant to be. I found out last week that the first surgeon isn’t expected back until next year.

Nothing to add here @babette12 - sage advice above. Stay in touch with his office as to prospects for returning if he is someone you trust - I would think they are likely to try to reschedule those patients most quickly if they missed their surgery date. If he is going to be out for an extended time, the staff will know first and should be able to advise you as to whom he is referring patients. Good luck!

Thank you for letting us know the new surgery date. I've altered your signature.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom