Surgeon recommendations in Carlisle or Chambersburg, PA area??

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
United States United States
An amazing surgeon replaced my right hip 5 years ago in Syracuse, NY. Now my left hip is really hurting a lot when I get up in the morning and occasionally during the day. Tylenol is helping but I know the pain will only get worse over time. Last summer we moved to southern PA so I can no longer use the same surgeon and with the delays in getting appointments these days, I think I should start looking for a surgeon now. I'm wondering if anyone in the Carlisle or Chambersburg, PA area can recommend a good orthopedic surgeon for hip replacement? I do have a call in this morning to my GP but I know BS is a fantastic place for good information so I'm here looking for suggestions. Thank you.

Elf1

Staff member since October 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
:wave:@GrannyC I don't really have any personal recommendations but I did kind of a quick search using Carlisle zip in the surgeon locator, selected orthopedic doctor and put in 100 mile radius. Quite a few options come up. Some in PA, some in MD, might be a place to start while waiting to see if anyone else has some personal experience.

CricketHip

Staff member since June 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Would you consider traveling to the Philly area? There are some good surgeons here, some work at their satellite hospitals which may be a bit closer for you. Maybe there's none in your area, but worth researching. Good luck!

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
GrannyC! It’s so nice to see your avatar, but I’m sorry it’s because you need your Left hip replaced. I hope you receive some good feedback here on a reputable OS In Pennsylvania.

A belated Happy Five Year Anniversary! I see it was exactly two weeks ago. Mine is coming up quickly also. I hope you’ll stick with us as you move toward surgery and through recovery. I miss you and your sweet down to earth posts on the forum.
Wishing you all the best in locating a surgeon. I hope you find one soon. :friends:
@GrannyC

OP
OP
GrannyC

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
@Elf1 I did check the surgeon locator on here and found a couple surgeons. I need to check further on their background, etc. Unfortunately none of the ones I checked had any feedback from forum members. My GP sent me for an xray today so in the next day or two I'll know for sure whether this pain is from a bad hip. Then I can ask his opinion on the best surgeon.

@CricketHip - thank you for the suggestion. Philly is farther than we'd care to travel. I feel confident there are good surgeons in this area. I've met several people who have had joint replacements (I'm in a 55+ community so probably lots of references right here). I'll just have to try and remember who and ask them who they used.

@Layla - Nice to see you. Yes, I've been absent on here for a while. I'll take this opportunity to wish you an early happy anniversary. How well I remember those days 5 years ago when you, @Mojo333, @Minnie15 and several others were all recovering along with me. Time flies. I'll definitely be around more if I do find I need surgery.

Going4fun

graduate
Country
Did you ask your GP for recommendations? Often GP's make a few calls around, or they have heard from colleagues about surgeons who are really good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrannyC

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
I think I was too quick to jump to conclusions. My GP sent me for hip xrays and they show mild osteoarthritis in left hip (one that I was thinking needed replacement). I’m feeling a bit like a hypochondriac now. I had already been to GP a couple weeks ago complaining about my lower back and a feeling in my hips that something was pressing on a nerve. He sent me for back x-rays and they showed a slipped disc in lower back as well as degenerative facet disease. I had never heard of facet disease so got online to read about it. It did say that it can cause pain you’ll feel in your hips or upper legs but I had dismissed that I guess as the pain felt so much like a bad hip. Now I went back and reread facet disease description and it does sound very much like that is what is causing my pain. I really feel it when I first get up in the morning and once I move around a bit (after maybe 10 or 15 minutes) the pain subsides and isn’t bad. Also, I didn’t lose range of motion in left leg like I did with right and from what I’ve read, that usually happens with bad osteoarthritis. I have an appointment with an orthopedist in mid June so I should get more answers then. In the meantime I’m very fortunate Tylenol really helps. Thank you for the responses. @Going4fun yes I would definitely check with GP for suggestions before making a decision on a surgeon if/when time comes I need one.

CricketHip

Staff member since June 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Well, now @GrannyC that's sort of good news, rig ht? You will get some good advice and treatment for your back and you can stay away from the surgery room!!

Mojo333

Staff member since August 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
:wave: @GrannyC
Good to see you on the forum, but I'm sorry you have been hurting.
I was so lucky to have folks like you giving advice and comfort through my recovery.:friends:
I do hope they can give you some solutions in June.

Lower back pain can be miserable (especially for Sleep and Rest)
I hope the Tylenol continues to provide relief.:fingersx::fingersx:

OP
OP
GrannyC

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
@Mojo333 It's great to see you again! Thank you for the compliment but the truth of the matter is that we were both there for each other. For me the forum was a huge help and just knowing I could get on here each day to both pass the time and ask any questions I had, was great. A belated happy 5th anniversary since your surgery.

Luckily for me my lower back pain is pretty much only during the day. I have no trouble sleeping and am comfortable sitting. The Tylenol helps a lot so I can pretty much function as usual. From what I've read it sounds like some form of exercise will help but I'm hesitant to start anything until I see orthopedist.

OP
OP
GrannyC

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
If anyone from south central PA happens to read this post, I’m still interested in surgeon recommendations for hips and knees. I have a feeling that down the road I will eventually need a surgeon for either knees or hips and since it takes a while to find a good surgeon, I’m still open to recommendations. Thank you.

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR ..Staff member since Feb 2009..
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
@GrannyC.....I have surgeons on my list, but only in Pittsburgh and Philidelphia. Just tag me if you would like those names. I realize that's a drive for you and you might want to search out someone more local.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bhoova
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom