THR Surgeon in SF Bay Area needed

wonderful news about your consults with TWO doctors.. that is wonderful!

I think you are well on your way, now. April will be here before you know it!

Well ... surgery now postponed to 18 May. We are in the thick of things here, in Santa Clara County, CA. I kinda feel like May is too optimistic, but we shall see what we see.

Pools here closed a few weeks ago, so I am really getting no exercise. I mean, I should be doing something here at home but no motivation. We have been working out of the house since 1990, but this is just different. Haven't been out in public since 12 March.

Sending best wishes for all of you to stay safe and well.

@cstinchcomb Tough times for everyone! And I agree - it is so hard to get motivated to do anything. I'm continually in the "deer in the headlights" mode.

Stick with us here. All of our active members are feeling the same. You will get that op - only when it is safe. Hang in there!

Hi, you sound like you are all set. I'm guessing that there will be a delay due to the virus, though.

Dr. Matta did my hips for me. I am thrilled with the results. I'm pretty sure there is a surgeon who he trained in SF. I can't remember his name. He is known for bilaterals.

I hope you are happy with your surgeon and able to get the second hip done asap.

I posted on another thread, and afterwards I thought I should really post here. Yesterday was my original surgery date. I'm rescheduled for 18 May -- but given how widespread the new coronavirus is here, I don't have a lot of confidence.

As far as I can tell -- social distancing here in the Bay Area is working pretty well, but I think the virus has been circulating in the community for months, so there are a lot of cases. I haven't really been out since 12 March -- I did one curbside pickup last week which, frankly, worried me. Not nearly enough people were wearing some kinda mask.

Exercise has always been my primary coping mechanism. And now, I can do really nothing, and no cardio at all. It would have been awesome to be healing up now. So ... feeling cranky, eating too much food, no exercise, plenty that I really should be doing, ugh. I'm so ready to be on the other side of this.

On the funny side, friend sent me this:
2020 cartoon.jpg

Love the reset. I realize how frustrating waiting is especially without a set date. Waiting is the hardest part when you cannot do the things you want due to pain. Hang in there and stay safe and hoping soon you will join those of us on the other side.

Please come and share any frustrations here as you wait if you need. Many of us have had to wait in the past for surgeries so lots of understanding here.

I think the passing of the cancelled surgery date is a sad day....mine is coming up. Couple that with pain, inactivity, virus, overeating, social isolation and it is a recipe for a funk. I'm sorry CST. Please know you are not alone.

The no exercise piece is such a challenge. Like you and many others here I too am used to movement. Exercise was a bright part of my day. I'm working to be satisfied with what I CAN do. I used to think chair exercise was silly but now it is a form of movement that is obtainable. I was fussing about how fast I've lost my muscle definition and strength and my yoga teacher told me to relax, that all of that will come back once I'm moving again. So will the sense of peace we get with vigorous exercise.

So...no real words of wisdom from me. Just want you to know others are with you. This is all temporary.
Carita

@Carita, thank you for your kind words. I wish I could get myself to just do a little bit of the yoga part of yoga (breathing/pranayama, seated meditation) ... while my normal asana practice is on hold. Last time, I swam 2000 meters (or a little more) most days, right up to the day before my surgery. And I know, yes, all this will come back with time.

Some days, I just feel whiny. I think a lot of people do, even when they are not waiting for hip replacement surgery. Today is better. Hope it's a good day for you, and everyone who's waiting -- there are a lot of us playing the waiting game right now.

Even at almost 3 years post-op, the memory of the many months of interminable aching, sleep deprivation and depression from my bad hips hasn't faded.
I truly sympathize and hope that everything gets back on track very soon so the healing can begin.
Hang in there, friend.

Awwe.. I bet April 16 was a down day for you, indeed. We've had two of those days, so far. My husband needs a procedure, one that we don't understand how it's viewed as non essential. the longer we wait the more discouraged we become.
but then we have sunshiny days and share some laughs and giggles and everything seems a little better.
I hope you have more sunshiny days and laughs than the other kind.. take care. We shall get through this. :flwrysmile:

Well, things are finally moving along on this end. I have a newer better surgery date (26 May), in which I have higher confidence. I've seen my primary care physican and had my tests. The preop department at my hospital is still closed. I've been calling over there for days; finally they added a voice note; before that I wondered if they were just so busy that they were disconnecting people.

It's beautiful, warm and sunny here in the bay area. Nice day to take a short tour of the yard :SUNsmile: on the crutches and pick a few loquats and another lemon.

And thanks to all of you for your support and kind wishes. It's really helpful; this is not an easy time even without a bad hip.

Congrats on getting a date for surgery. Will keep my fingers, toes and everything else crossed for you! :fingersx::fingersx::praying::praying:

:hi: Hello and Happy Friday
You’re right, not an easy time currently and so sorry you’re navigating it with a bum hip.
Thankfully relief is on its way! :happydance: Wishing you comfort as you await the 26th. It won’t be long now.
@cstinchcomb

Dear CST, so glad your date is on the books. It is a strange time to access the medical world with the covid protocols in place. My hubby will not be able to be in the hospital. Does yours follow this restriction? I would rather have the support yet know the hospital has the staff to provide great care. He can be home caring for the puppy!

I too am using crutches now and will follow your lead by getting some sun. The warmth is healing. Loquats and lemons! Here in Portland it's a bit chilly for them but I do have a huge pot with a Meyer lemon and tote it in and out of the sun porch each fall and spring. It is loaded with blossoms and just now attracting bees. I will set a lounge chaise next to it and spend some time in it after Mondays big adventure.

I'm calling on your wise words about how much better you feel after you heal post op. Trying to let that message speak louder than the jitters!
With appreciation and warmth,
Carita

Glad to read your surgery is back on schedule so you can get back to a happy healthy life.
My mother has loquats in her area of Coastal SC and they are yummy and prolific for a short time.
Eating well and getting some valuable Vitamin D with this beautiful weather ...great immune system boosters and mood boosters.
Now to get that hip happy.
Hope today is a good day.:SUNsmile:

Hi @Carita!

OMG today is your surgery day! I am so sorry I missed this until now. I hope you are resting comfortably and will look for your thread on the recovery side.

My husband will not be able to join me either. He can drop me off and pick me up, curbside. I can bring my phone, we can text and if we want maybe video. First time through, I pretty much slept most of the time I was in there, except when the staff had stuff for me to do.

Hubby mine just had his own surgery this past Thursday, 7 May (not hip surgery, another thing). Everything so far seems to be proceeding according to plan with his recovery. So I missed your message and the JRAD, it is what it is.

I see no reason, with your long term yoga practice and your general fitness level, that you won't have a perfectly awesome recovery. I am also hoping that my second just works as well as my first.

Hugs and warm wishes from NorCal.

Hello and Happy Wednesday!
Less than two weeks to go! :happydance:Fingers crossed all stays on schedule :fingersx:
Sending a hug and wishing you comfort as you wait. :friends:
@cstinchcomb

Thank you @Layla! All good here. Since this is my second rodeo, I kinda know what to expect. I'm lucky enough to have my husband here to take care of me afterwards; he did such a kind and awesome job last time. We got instacart from Costco yesterday (we have been being extra careful with the covid) and I froze up a bunch of rotisserie chicken pieces, small size for afterwards. And made/froze some rice. I can actually drink clear liquids up until 2 hours prior, so I am hoping that I do not have the massive dehydration and attendant constipation I had last time. Of course this is not at all a dry climate either. We have some senna tea on hand just in case.

I'm a little nervous because there is no guarantee that the second time goes as well as the first, and this is not the same surgeon, since we have moved house. I've been reluctant to post how fast I recovered last time here, because well I did a lot of things that could have, but luckily didn't, result in setbacks and membership in the ODIC. This time I intend to take it much easier.

And thanks to everyone for your kind support.

Yes, even with a second hip there is still worry and concern for what if. My right hip was my 4th joint being replaced since 2013 and yet I worried a bit. I had great recoveries so figured I might have used up all my good fortune and luck. No, still had a good recovery. It was almost easier because I did know what to expect with the hip.

Do not be afraid to post how great and fast recovery you had with your first hip. We are all different as our hips are all different. It is good for all of us to hear different stories and paths in recovery. I did a slow and steady recovery with this hip since I really did not want to overdo or have anything go wrong after being so lucky as to get my life back again and the world a bigger place to explore.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom