THR Surgeon concerns

Shadowstar1951!

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I have a pre op assessment tomorrow with THR on September 27th...(UK)
However I had a nasty fall a month ago and injured my right knee , same side as my bad hip, so I will see what happens tomorrow.
My main concern is my surgeon.
When I told someone who my surgeon was their face dropped and said "if you were my mum I would choose someone else".
I know a couple of people who have had surgery with this surgeon and they have had good results.
I now feel very unsettled.

Do you have online resources for surgeon reviews and any actions regarding their licensing? I'd check there if you can.
Did you ask why that person has problems with your surgeon? Was it gis work or gis personality that they disliked?
When I was referred for surgery, the front office staffer asked which surgeon in the practice I wanted to see. I had no idea, so I told her to schedule me with the one she would send her mom or grandma to.
Once I had his name, I looked at reviews online. Nothing bad whatsoever concerning his license or lawsuits. But I saw that almost all his good reviews were from men, and the bad ones were from women, and it all had to do with his bedside manner. I wanted a good mechanic to fix my hip, and didn't need anyone to dish with over brunch, so I went with him and I am so happy that I did. My new hip is perfection, and I don't mind the surgeon's direct and somewhat brusque manner at all. It's just his man brain at work and doesn't affect my surgery or care in any way.
Go with competence and don't worry.

Good luck and best wishes.

@Shadowstar1951! Use this link to access the National Joint Registry (NJR) UK. Plug in your surgeon's surname and take a look their statistics. I really would not go with any comment someone who didn't have direct experience with this surgeon.

Go with your gut feeling. If your consultation with this surgeon was good go for it! These days is it very hard to even get a surgery date for THR in the UK.

@Shadowstar1951! , I agree with @subie2021 . My OS got goid reviews from two male medical people who simply knew his reputation, and a female medical person whose mother had had excellent results. He was definitely all business, but his PA's, one male and one female, made up for the bedside manner part. I anly saw the surgeon three times per hip-- original office visit, 30 seconds before surgery when he'd ask me which hip it was and then mark it, and 30 more seconds an hour or so after I was out of surgery. He may have been the mechanic, but his work was pretty much done when he pulled his gloves off. He had a big team for the befores and afters. I certainly wouldn't choose a surgeon based on bedside manner, although a couple of years ago I got a general surgeon who I'd love for my primary care lol

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.
I had my pre op assessment this afternoon. However, because of my knee injury the nurse is going to speak with the surgeon and see what he advises.
I know they pull and manoeuvre the leg a lot during surgery so I don't want to have a painful knee when I'm trying to walk after surgery.

I know here in Canada the College of Physicians is where all practicing and licensed doctors are listed and there is a section that allows you see any complaints ever made against them. Is there such a thing in the UK for licensed physicians?

I tend to say to follow your gut. Something has made it uneasy and you definitely need to follow up on that. Having said that even the world’s best surgeons can have off days or bad cases.

I would definitely try to do as much research as you can on him and see what you can find.

Hello everyone, I have a pre op assessment tomorrow with THR on September 27th...(UK)
However I had a nasty fall a month ago and injured my right knee , same side as my bad hip, so I will see what happens tomorrow.
My main concern is my surgeon.
When I told someone who my surgeon was their face dropped and said "if you were my mum I would choose someone else".
I know a couple of people who have had surgery with this surgeon and they have had good results.
I now feel very unsettled.
Well, if it was me I’d visit with the surgeon first and see what you think. He/she is probably very good if you know people who have used him before and had good results. Maybe there was just a problem with personalities with this other person. i Just had my TKR last week. My surgeon is very well known and recommended, however to me he was a little cocky. I’d still use him again, but I’m not going to be one of his patients who writes “Oh I just LOVE Dr. X”. I think he did a great job but personality wise we just didn’t connect.

Hello everyone, thank you for your replies and advice.
I had my pre op assessment and when the nurse spoke to the surgeon he said op had to be postponed..my knee needs to improve before THR.
I respect his decision and I'm hoping to use the delay to improve my fitness and strength around my hip ...but it's so painful....x

Oh, that's too bad after all this prep and anticipation but it's probably best in the long run. Keep us posted how things are progressing and when you have a new surgery date.

Hello everyone, I had my knee checked today and the doctor reckons it's about 90% better. He advised waiting for another 4-6 weeks.
Anyway I phoned the hospital where I'm having my THR done and they're going to contact me in about another 4 weeks so my surgery will be in 6+ weeks I think.
I feel very despondent because my hip seems to have deteriorated so quickly and the pain seems to be in groin, pelvis and down to my knee.
I'll just have to be patient I guess.

I think most of us can relate to the increased hip pain. Can your surgeon on GP prescribe something to ease the pain until surgery?
Try to stay busy as you accommodate that hip, and hopefully your waiting time will pass quickly.
Best wishes!

Thank you subie2021. I do have medication for the pain and it does help. I'm trying to use this time wisely and exercise to build up the strength in my hip, thigh etc but I'm finding them challenging to say the least.
It would be so easy to sit around all day but I know I mustn't do that.
Hope everyone is having a 'good' day .

Hello everyone, I am having my THR in 2 days time, on the 8th. I am beginning to feel a bit apprehensive and nervous.
However, I am in so much pain when I'm mobile that this has to be done.
I need 2 sticks now in order to walk 'properly'...
I am very concerned about toileting... getting on and off the toilet without leaning forward. I have one raised toilet seat but I wish it had handles on either side.
I can't imagine how people cope when they have both hips done at the same time!

Please don't worry about any restrictions. PT will visit you in hospital and go through how to incorporate restrictions into your daily life. TBH - they are not that strict.

All the best on the 8th!

Don't worry, you will figure it out.
Don't try to pop up with equal weight on both feet. Position your good leg for most of the initial weight bearing.
You can use your mobility aids to steady yourself and push off from the seat. Or you can set the heels of your hands beside your thighs, on the seat, and push off from there. I kept a canister of sanitizing wipes nearby and that seat was absolutely spotlessly sterile-ly clean so no ick factor.
You've got a couple of days to practice lol :ok:

Thank you for your support and advice. I'm really grateful.
Sorting a few things out at home and then packing my bag.
I'll post when I'm 'on the other side'...
Take care everyone...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks