TKR Surgeon Check Up Routine: Wobbling Knee?

@enjoyLife
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Let your surgeon know you knee was unstable for a while after he checked for instability.
You can also ask him not to do that anymore.
Before my revision my knee was unstable all the time, my surgeon checked for instability through out the entire ROM. I had no additional symptoms after the testing.

Jane66, Jockette, NFenske, sistersinhim, Pumpkln
Thank you all for the information, its very helpful to me! I'll let my surgeon know about the side effects of this check up method and maybe ask if he can skip it. Since it does cause me a lot of worry. I can't edit my original post, but my surgery was in 2013 (not 2014).

@Pumpkln Would you be able to share more on how your knee was unstable? What were the symptoms and cause? What did the revision surgery involve? Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
@enjoyLife Please note that I removed the multiple tags in your post above. If you insert multiple tags in a post, members accessing the forum on any mobile phone will only see the tags, not your post. I left the one tag for Chris (you tagged her twice).

I know you asked Pumpkln but a big reason why I am getting another surgery is due to instability. Not sure how others describe but for me I can walk and for no reason knee just gives out. If you were to watch it almost looks like I tripped. When it first started it would happen once in awhile over the course of 5 months now it happens several times a day.

On the subject of clicking. I am 9 years LTKR and 4 mths RTKR.
I can make both knees click during extreme flexion.
If I lay on my back, bring my knees back as far as possible and flex my lower leg as I get to about 140 deg I can both feel and hear a click. Both knees do it at the same point and the noise is very similar between knees.
I spoke with my OS about this at the 6 week visit. He explained that this was completely normal and he showed me using a model prothesis knee why it was so, it had to do with how the tibia slides relative to the femur during flexion and the artificial meniscus moves/slides at a particular point. I am struggling on how best to explain this, much better with a model.

For information the only manipulation my OS has done during visits is to force slide my tibia to check for stability and flexibility, it does not hurt just a tad uncomfortable. My sense is this is more to test the integrity of tendons/ligaments than anything else. Pre surgery if you have damaged ligaments then a TKR is not going to fix them.
Hope this helps.

Thank you everyone for your replies! Your information is all very helpful.
I saw my surgeon and he said the clicking is due to the cartridge between the prothesis and knee cap wearing thin, so that the knee cap sometimes scrapes against it. He showed me how to correct my walking posture to reduce the pressure on my knee cap. If it starts to hurt in the future I would need a revision surgery to put a plastic padding between the knee cap and prosthesis, but that's not needed right now.

I saw my surgeon and he said the clicking is due to the cartridge between the prothesis and knee cap wearing thin, so that the knee cap sometimes scrapes against it.
Another reason for the clinking is the implant roller over the plastic insert. I don't even have knee caps and my clunks.
clunking/clicking knee after replacement

Hi everyone, hope you're well :) I've started getting acupuncture for insomnia, but is it safe to have acupuncture needles in my knee? Would love to hear your opinions.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back